Why Z Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Why Z Kai?

Post by songohan619 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 am

Why was the Z added?

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why Z Kai?

Post by dragondyle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 am

For marketing purposes, and not have American fans confused at what it is. Adding the Z boosts sales and keeps fans from getting confused as to what it is and/or thinking it's a new series. And technically it is Z but with filler cut out. So, it's logical to call it Z Kai.
Founder of The Dragonball: Evolution Archive.
You must have faith in who you are.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:23 am

Because it makes more sense.
Dragon Ball Kai means Dragon Ball Revised which is false because Dragon Ball Kai is a revised version of Z there for Dragon Ball Z Kai makes more sense.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Plus, they won't have to rename anything when they do Dragon Ball Kai some day, lol.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:16 pm

Mewzard wrote:Plus, they won't have to rename anything when they do Dragon Ball Kai some day, lol.
If they do the original Dragon Ball Kai someday. It's not set in stone or anything, since Z was the series that actually needed a remake.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Mewzard wrote:Plus, they won't have to rename anything when they do Dragon Ball Kai some day, lol.
That implies Toei would cover Dragon Ball in Dragon Ball Kai (i.e. they would not begin with a new series with a new episode #1)...which...well...would require a name change either way.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:34 pm

I think Toei screwed itself over with naming it Dragon Ball Kai, that is if they ever do a Dragon Ball Kai. They would have to call it Dragon Ball Kai Origins. xP
Founder of The Dragonball: Evolution Archive.
You must have faith in who you are.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:40 pm

dragondyle wrote:I think Toei screwed itself over with naming it Dragon Ball Kai, that is if they ever do a Dragon Ball Kai. They would have to call it Dragon Ball Kai Origins. xP
I doubt they'll even give pre-Z Dragon Ball the Kai treatment. Z's the most popular series, the one that'll bring in the most profit and the one most in need of a remake. Dragon Ball doesn't need Kai. And it depends on if Toei will even want to spend money on a pre-Z Dragon Ball Kai; plus, we've seen some of the negative reactions to Z Kai from sections of the fandom. What if a pre-Z Dragon Ball Kai ends up failing? Toei wouldn't want that.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:10 pm

I meant Funi doing a "Dragon Ball Kai" with or without Toei. Either as just a title to do a redub...or even paying Toei to give the Kai treatment.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Mewzard wrote:I meant Funi doing a "Dragon Ball Kai" with or without Toei. Either as just a title to do a redub...or even paying Toei to give the Kai treatment.
Well, in that case, FUNi wouldn't have anything to worry about since they used the title Dragon Ball Z Kai. Toei wouldn't have anything to do with that, since they can't just be "cautious" or...whatever, just in case FUNi do a Kai of DB, when it's only a title.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:05 am

Toei wouldn't need a new series, even if they decide to do a "Kai" version of Dragon Ball, because sometime after Kid Buu's defeat in Kai, they can easily fit the entire version of the series in a flashback that they make for Goku, about him meeting Bulma for the first time from the 1st episode of Dragon Ball to the very end. :P
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Toei wouldn't need a new series, even if they decide to do a "Kai" version of Dragon Ball, because sometime after Goku defeat Kid Buu in Kai, they can easily fit the entire version of the series in a flashback that they make for Goku, about him meeting Bulma for the first time from the 1st episode of Dragon Ball to the very end. :P
And bookend each episode with commentary from Goku? Sounds like the Ms. Bliss years to me.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Toei wouldn't need a new series, even if they decide to do a "Kai" version of Dragon Ball, because sometime after Goku defeat Kid Buu in Kai, they can easily fit the entire version of the series in a flashback that they make for Goku, about him meeting Bulma for the first time from the 1st episode of Dragon Ball to the very end. :P
Aw shit, I was thinking the same idea about three weeks ago! Maybe they can have Goten asking his dad about his adventures past! It could become an endless cycle of episodes and stuff...
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:27 pm

I seem to remember Chris Sabat saying on his Facebook account that it was Toei's call to have them call it Dragon Ball Z Kai.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:55 am

The only thing that bothers me is that this is yet another difference between the Japanese and English version. It's weird seeing it even in subtitles, "Next time on Dragon Ball Z Kai" while Nozawa's voice says "Duragon Boro Kai." And it sucks about the opening/closing/commercial setups (forgot what they were called for a second)/next episode previews all have the Z put into the logo. Don't mind the English text (since it's pretty much a translation, and there are textless versions of them), but that Z will never go away. It was fine on the first set because the very first episode had the proper logo in the opener, but as they change over time, I don't want all of them to have the Z in them. Just a tiny thing I nitpick about.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:02 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Nozawa's voice says "Duragon Boro Kai."
It's "Doragon Booru Kai".

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:50 am

Please excuse the brief '90s flashback:

Because Toei said so. (And that's the bottom line.)

It's simple, and makes sense when you think about it. If Toei thinks it will make more sense to put the Z in, outside of Japan, they will do so.

As for me, I just ignore the Z and just call it Kai. (Like how you don't pronounce the X in "Hunter X Hunter".)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wobbuffet » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Because American fanboys can't stand anything DB-related that don't have a "Z" somewhere.
I hate how adult Goku was added to DB Advanced Adventure cover. It was like "we won't be able to sell any copy of the game if we don't put some hardcoreness on the cover".
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.