Kai Episode 98 Canceled

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Kai Episode 98 Canceled

Post by kei17 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 pm

You know, episode 96 of Kai was deleyed for one week due to the terrible earthquake. However, it seems that they are not going to deley the beginning of Toriko on April 3rd, which means that now Kai has one episode less than the original plan. Probably they simply do not want to deley Toriko, but in addition, I guess that they have decided to skip the story of Future Trunks that shows ruined cities which remind people of the tsunami disaster.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_kai/

The official site of Kai now says "Episode 97 (Final episode)", and the next episode preview is still in preparation. Maybe they are changing the preview to a new one that announces the next episode will be the end of Kai.

There is still no word whether they are going to include episode 98 on the future DVD/Blu-ray release or not.
Last edited by kei17 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Kai Episode 98 Canceled

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Disappointment! D:
No surprise here though. :( Your reasoning for why they're doing this makes perfect sense.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Woah, is it me or is Kai getting shafted as of late?
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Damn, this is scandal continues to evolve by the moment! I wonder, was the episode recorded or not? Maybe it'll be a home video-only episode?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Damn, this is scandal continues to evolve by the moment! I wonder, was the episode recorded or not? Maybe it'll be a home video-only episode?
They always record 5 episodes each time, so I am certain that it has been done at least.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Wow, that sucks that Episode 98 will not air but your reasoning for it not airing makes perfect sense. It seems like Kai has had a lot of shocking news coming to it this past month though. Hopefully, this final episode does finally get released on DVD/Blu-ray in the future.

I wonder if Episode 98 does get an exclusive release in Japan on DVD/Blu-ray what will happen to it in North America? Will Episode 98 be aired on TV? I would think it would be but who knows.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 pm

kei17 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Damn, this is scandal continues to evolve by the moment! I wonder, was the episode recorded or not? Maybe it'll be a home video-only episode?
They always record 5 episodes each time, so I am certain that it has been done at least.
Woah, they do? So they record five episodes a week or am I misunderstanding?
She/Her
bisexual milf

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
kei17 wrote:
Woah, they do? So they record five episodes a week or am I misunderstanding?
They record five episodes every 5 weeks. They must have recorded episode 95 to 98 in the end of last month.
Last edited by kei17 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:20 pm

To quote Dub Trunks "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Actually, can't say I'm surprised but yet nor do I care anymore.
Kai has failed and my interested is over, outside of watching the rest of the Dub on Nicktoons.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm speechless.

Understandable given the circumstances, but it's just never-fucking-ending with this show. First it's canceled, then the music thing, now they're not even going to air an episode. Crazy.

MugiMikey
Beyond Newbie

Post by MugiMikey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Wow, Kai just keeps having back luck as of lately. Technically, now it won't even have the Cell saga completed.

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 am

Oh come on Toei! First you announce that Kai will end with Cell and then you announce this! :evil:
"This is gonna be easier than coloring inside the lines!" - Vegeta
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta
"YOU'LL NEVER ESCAPE....MY WRATH!!!" - Vegeta
Nobody wrote : The Season Sets are superior in every way!!!

Rythen

Post by Rythen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:04 am

Awww, that's disheartening, but understandable considering the content. I wouldn't think being a straight-to-video only thing would effect the dub? Unless by some strange chance they didn't even make 98.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:12 am

Wow, Kai has become a wreck, even at the very last moment. Not surprising, not in the least, after reading the article on Kanzentai, listening to this week's podcast, and reading kei17's reasoning, I can understand that they would cancel episode 98. Toei simply doesn't care anymore, their attempt to bring Dragon Ball Z into the digital age to make a quick buck has failed, and they just want to get it over and done with as quickly as possible to get Toriko on the air, what they call their "next hit title". Toei wants money, and with Kai, they were just not able to get as much as they had hoped.
So mondo lame.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:Wow, Kai has become a wreck, even at the very last moment. Not surprising, not in the least, after reading the article on Kanzentai, listening to this week's podcast, and reading kei17's reasoning, I can understand that they would cancel episode 98. Toei simply doesn't care anymore, their attempt to bring Dragon Ball Z into the digital age to make a quick buck has failed, and they just want to get it over and done with as quickly as possible to get Toriko on the air, what they call their "next hit title". Toei wants money, and with Kai, they were just not able to get as much as they had hoped.
Frankly, it's stupid of Toei not to try to get more out of it. Just because it isn't as big as they wanted, doesn't mean they couldn't give it to a new timeslot and still make some. I swear, Toei is the perfect mix of lazy, incompetent, and uncaring to be a pain in the fanbase's collective asses.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 am

Mewzard wrote:Frankly, it's stupid of Toei not to try to get more out of it. Just because it isn't as big as they wanted, doesn't mean they couldn't give it to a new timeslot and still make some. I swear, Toei is the perfect mix of lazy, incompetent, and uncaring to be a pain in the fanbase's collective asses.
I find myself sort of agreeing with you. Was it really that big a loss to them? I realize that a business has a bottom line, but this almost seems spiteful.
Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 am

Mewzard wrote:
GotenDaisuki wrote:Wow, Kai has become a wreck, even at the very last moment. Not surprising, not in the least, after reading the article on Kanzentai, listening to this week's podcast, and reading kei17's reasoning, I can understand that they would cancel episode 98. Toei simply doesn't care anymore, their attempt to bring Dragon Ball Z into the digital age to make a quick buck has failed, and they just want to get it over and done with as quickly as possible to get Toriko on the air, what they call their "next hit title". Toei wants money, and with Kai, they were just not able to get as much as they had hoped.
Frankly, it's stupid of Toei not to try to get more out of it. Just because it isn't as big as they wanted, doesn't mean they couldn't give it to a new timeslot and still make some. I swear, Toei is the perfect mix of lazy, incompetent, and uncaring to be a pain in the fanbase's collective asses.
A collective fanbase that hasn't seen fit to supply them with the money they require to justify stretching their resources.

Episode #98 will probably be added to the final Blu-ray and DVD as an OVA.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 am

It'll probably show up in the repeat rotation and on DVD so not all is lost at least.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:43 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
A collective fanbase that hasn't seen fit to supply them with the money they require to justify stretching their resources.

Episode #98 will probably be added to the final Blu-ray and DVD as an OVA.
That's just not true. They are not, in any way, shape, or form "stretching their resources". Most companies have to put in far more effort delivering brand new footage on top of everything else Kai did, with less name recognition, more risk, and they usually sell much less than Kai did...yet, are profitable enough, despite costing more.

People shouldn't justify Toei's lazy, cheap efforts. It's just shameful...*sigh* I don't know why this year has decided to be the year to disappoint me in several fandoms, but this just isn't helpful. Hopefully Funi's not as cheap and lazy as Toei, and helps keep Kai going...or redub all of the original series. Either would work for me.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 am

Mewzard wrote:Hopefully Funi's not as cheap and lazy as Toei, and helps keep Kai going...or redub all of the original series. Either would work for me.
Right now, FUNimation is much better than Toei when it comes to effort, in my opinion.
So mondo lame.