It's just so weird hearing Goku curse.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: It's just so weird hearing Goku curse.

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:49 pm

I'll save you, Tanooki Kuribo!
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:And even now, I'd wager it's still not entirely there for Goku, but it's certainly closer than it's ever been before.
Look in on Schemmel's Goku a bit more now if that sort of thing interests you. He says words like "ain't" and even drops a few syllables in the recent episodes. It's not perfect, but now it's even closer than it was before.

~Da Lemmy
Yea, I noticed that too, especially since I write the edited dialog in my DBZK comparisons as it's said. I thought it was just me that noticed.
-Joey

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Yea, I noticed that too, especially since I write the edited dialog in my DBZK comparisons as it's said. I thought it was just me that noticed.
You weren't the only one, naw. It totally jumped out at me, because that just the way Goku should be talking. I never expected it to happen here, so I was damn surprised.

(Thanks, jpdbzrulz4sure!!)

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:55 am

I have no problem with Funi Goku cursing.

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 am

what does he say apart from bastard?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm

I find it really strange for people to be saying that the FUNimation Kai dub has "cursing" it's really nothing major or important, neither does it struck me as real cursing.

I wonder what would be peoples' reaction if Goku or some other character ever said "asshole" or "dipshit".
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 pm

It's not weird at all, cursing is a social construct and generally what he is doing is cursing. Just because it doesn't mean the same to you. I would view bastard as *more* of a curse word than 'dipshit' - and I cans ay that without actually caring about swearing. They are just words after all.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm

I think it's very appropriate for Goku to be swearing at times dub or Japanese. When some monster kills your best friend and laughs about it you're not going to take care to mind your language. Goku calling Frieza a bastard really added weight to that scene. It showed that the usually kind and pure hero had been pushed over the edge. And he isn't pure as a Super Saiyan. Also anyone who thinks "damn" is a serious swear word should really spend a few hours in a public school. Goku isn't some refined high class man who thinks swearing is appalling. He's actually a somewhat realistic character. After all swearing doesn't make him impure. Sticks and stones will break your bones.....

JP6GAMER
Beyond Newbie

Post by JP6GAMER » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:42 pm

In the german version they use often curse words, like asshole, bastard and shit and some others who are hard to translate into english. (one time Vegeta said son of a bitch)

For me the cursing is not a problem, everyone would curse if you had to fight for your life.
" You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keep... his PRIDE! "-Vegeta

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 pm

It still makes me giggle like a child whenever they curse in Kai. No idea why.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:22 pm

I find it more realistic. As said before, you aren't going to monitor your language when you're in life-or-death situations and staring death in the face.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 pm

The level of cursing in Kai is pretty tame compared to a lot of other Anime.

The Hellsing Ultimate Ova's are an example of pretty up there in cursing.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Gonstead wrote:The Hellsing Ultimate Ova's are an example of pretty up there in cursing.
Probably because Hellsing is suitable for young adults while Dragon Ball is for kids.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 pm

Welcome to the real Goku, feast your eyes as you see Goku is not "Clark Kakakent"(Thanks Sun-Wukong for the joke) but actually Son Goku, a hick who is actually selfish when it comes to fighting and has no problem swearing. He kills if he must and is not afraid of killing the bad guys.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 pm

It's not like everyone's swearing every two minutes like the Cyber City Oedo dub.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 am

Why is this thread revived from 2011? Isn't this against the rule?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Majin Steve
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Steve » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Why is this thread revived from 2011? Isn't this against the rule?
Well if so it's a pretty stupid rule, cus if I had made a new thread someone probably would've linked me to this and been all "hey stupid nube haha nube there's already a thread, use the search function!!"

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 am

There are forums like that but this isn't one of them :) . Unless it's a big mega thread and even then it's safe to start a new topic after awhile as far as I know.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Majin Steve wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Why is this thread revived from 2011? Isn't this against the rule?
Well if so it's a pretty stupid rule

Tell that to the man who runs this forums. Necro-posting isn't allowed. It may not be written on the forums's rules page, but it is still not allowed. It's been like that since the beginning.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 pm

I really like the cursing in the new dub, it makes things much more realistic, more dramatic, and as others have said it makes Goku more like he's meant to be. "You ruthless, heartless bastard, I am going to make you suffer" is a brilliant line for Kuririn's death. Doesn't someone say "son of a bitch" at one point? I might have mis-remembered that...

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Fizzer wrote:I really like the cursing in the new dub, it makes things much more realistic, more dramatic, and as others have said it makes Goku more like he's meant to be. "You ruthless, heartless bastard, I am going to make you suffer" is a brilliant line for Kuririn's death. Doesn't someone say "son of a bitch" at one point? I might have mis-remembered that...
Pretty sure there isn't one in the dub.

Though there is that strange case with Guldo.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)