Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:22 pm

penguintruth wrote:Looks like most of us agree that Chris Sabat has had the most improvement in his roles.
He's improved a lot but he's still not that good. It took him 10 years for his screams to be on an acceptable level. Chris Sabat is probably one of the worst actors in Funimation. His 1999 voice was Detarame! His 2005 was still Detarame. His Kai voice is STILL detarame because of that accent, but is less detarame then before. His Piccolo 1999 voice is VERY, VERY DETARAME. His 2000-2001 voice is VERY DETARAME. His 2003- voice is meh. Watch the Android arc where Scott Mcneil is powering up. It sounds epic! Compare that to ogre man there. Just watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAx5xTiKqUw
A monkey on steroids could figure out who has the better scream.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:38 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Chris Sabat is probably one of the worst actors in Funimation.
I agree with you here, I hate his Piccolo, his Vegeta, his Yamcha and his Daimao. He seems like he tries to make Vegeta & Piccolo sound badass in a terrible way, and Yamcha speaks weird, he reminds me a surfer when he talks... And Daimao just sounds... terrible. In general, Sabat is one of the main reasons that I don't want to hear FUNi dub, and he is everywhere. :x
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:58 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Chris Sabat is probably one of the worst actors in Funimation.
I agree with you here, I hate his Piccolo, his Vegeta, his Yamcha and his Daimao. He seems like he tries to make Vegeta & Piccolo sound badass in a terrible way, and Yamcha speaks weird, he reminds me a surfer when he talks... And Daimao just sounds... terrible. In general, Sabat is one of the main reasons that I don't want to hear FUNi dub, and he is everywhere. :x
Exactly. Example this is how Chris Sabat voices Piccolo

CS Piccolo: In Monotonous voice. When I'm finished with you, you'd wish you were dead. You'll be completely helpless. Try to imagine how it would feel to live on forever, unable to do anything with your power, an eternity with nothing but you .

Scott Mcneil: Says it in a cool, badass calculating way(The way Piccolo would. I bet Toshio Furkawa is happy that his legacy was done justice by a badass actor like Scott McNeil instead of shit like Chris Sabat) with is not boring. When I'm finished with you, you'd wish you were dead. You'll be completely helpless. Try to imagine how it would feel to live on forever, unable to do anything with your power, an eternity with nothing but you.

Before you Funi Z/Kai tards start saying Scott McNeil's voice is not fitting in the Cell/Boo arcs then you're dumb. Toshio Furukawa's Piccolo voice since 1988 has been the same tone and yet it's badass and has that cool, calculating feel to it unlike Chris Sabat's boring ass Piccolo, so don't give me that bullshit that Piccolo's Canadian voice is too bad guy sounding because that is just bullshit! Same with Brian Drummond and Ryo Horikawa's voice. Not Addressing you BTW.
Last edited by UnbiasedDBZfan on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Wow, really? Sabat may not be my favorite VA in the Funimation talent pool, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's bad. He's done some poor work in the past, sure, but he's pretty decent now.

Trust me, there are worse VAs at Funimation than Chris Sabat.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 pm

penguintruth wrote:Wow, really? Sabat may not be my favorite VA in the Funimation talent pool, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's bad. He's done some poor work in the past, sure, but he's pretty decent now.

I take it you mean Sean Schemmel or Justin Cook?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:21 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Wow, really? Sabat may not be my favorite VA in the Funimation talent pool, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's bad. He's done some poor work in the past, sure, but he's pretty decent now.

I think Justin Cook's an excellent voice actor. I haven't seen much else of Schemmel, but he seems pretty good in Kai.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Justin Cook is an excellent VA. His performance as Yusuke Uremeshi is defining and I like his Russell Tringham and Touji Suzuhara.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:

I think Justin Cook's an excellent voice actor. I haven't seen much else of Schemmel, but he seems pretty good in Kai.
I don't think Sean Schemmel is a shit actor. But from a huge flamewar that occurred 1 year+ before I came Penguin Truth stated that he doesn't like Sean's Goku. He did admit Kirby Morrow was worse then him though. And as for Cook my god if he a case! His Raditz is over the top and his Super Boo voice is WTF? First his Base Super Boo voice is okay then his Bootenks voice is pretty damn good then he uses his Base Super Boo voice for Boohan. Also Cook overacts so that's why he's a shit actor. When he uses the Dimmension Scream he's overacting when he's yelling. Kozo Shioya doesn't overact. Not saying you should act like your Japanese counterpart, I'm saying imagine what Kozo's doing. You should put your own spin on the character but don't go too far! So my friend it's not the voices per se. Just HOW he voices the character. So Justin Cook is a shit actor(although he could be a good one if he stops overacting!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:36 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:But from a huge flamewar that occurred 1 year+ before I came Penguin Truth stated that he doesn't like Sean's Goku.
He even had an argument with Sean Schemmel himself!
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Why do we keep feeding the trolls...
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Same with Brian Drummond and Ryo Horikawa's voice. Not Addressing you BTW.
Okay, you really need to get your ears checked. Drummond and Horikawa sound nothing alike.
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Just HOW he voices the character. So Justin Cook is a shit actor(although he could be a good one if he stops overacting!)
No he isn't. I'm pretty sure that has to do with the direction he's giving. He can do good work.

As for all the stuff you've spewed, I'm gonna agree with everyone else who's responded so far. Sabat is not a bad voice actor. I dislike some of the voices he uses (I believe many to be inappropriate), but he's improved a lot. As for Cook and Schemmel, they've also improved. Maybe a few years back I would've agreed with you, but not now.

I would continue to comment on your other "points", but since you treat everyone who disagrees with your opinion with such disrespect, I'm just gonna stop here for now.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:45 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Why do we keep feeding the trolls...
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Same with Brian Drummond and Ryo Horikawa's voice. Not Addressing you BTW.
Okay, you really need to get your ears checked. Drummond and Horikawa sound nothing alike.
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Just HOW he voices the character. So Justin Cook is a shit actor(although he could be a good one if he stops overacting!)
No he isn't. I'm pretty sure that has to do with the direction he's giving. He can do good work.

As for all the stuff you've spewed, I'm gonna agree with everyone else who's responded so far. Sabat is not a bad voice actor. I dislike some of the voices he uses (I believe many to be inappropriate), but he's improved a lot. As for Cook and Schemmel, they've also improved. Maybe a few years back I would've agreed with you, but not now.

I would continue to comment on your other "points", but since you treat everyone who disagrees with your opinion with such disrespect, I'm just gonna stop here for now.
I never said Horikawa and Drummond sound alike. I said they never/barely changed their TONE OF VOICE. Well I'm lying a little. Drummond's Season 4 Vegeta is deeper but not overly deeper that it's easy to tell the difference. Also Justin Cook overacts man. You need to watch Season 1 and 2 and the Boo dub and then tell me he's not overacting.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:51 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:I never said Horikawa and Drummond sound alike. I said they never/barely changed their TONE OF VOICE. Well I'm lying a little. Drummond's Season 4 Vegeta is deeper but not overly deeper that it's easy to tell the difference.
What. Horikawa goes from a silky smooth, cunning voice to some one who's going to blow a gasket.
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Also Justin Cook overacts man. You need to watch Season 1 and 2 and the Boo dub and then tell me he's not overacting.
I'm not arguing any of those points, except that he "overacts" all the time(which I still see as a crappy criticism, what's he gonna do underact). He has done some bad work. That doesn't make him a bad actor. And I'm gonna go ahead and put Raditz sounding like that because of direction. Especially in Kai, they want the voice to sound as much as it used to be.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:55 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:I never said Horikawa and Drummond sound alike. I said they never/barely changed their TONE OF VOICE. Well I'm lying a little. Drummond's Season 4 Vegeta is deeper but not overly deeper that it's easy to tell the difference.
What. Horikawa goes from a silky smooth, cunning voice to some one who's going to blow a gasket.
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Also Justin Cook overacts man. You need to watch Season 1 and 2 and the Boo dub and then tell me he's not overacting.
I'm not arguing any of those points, except that he "overacts" all the time(which I still see as a crappy criticism, what's he gonna do underact). He has done some bad work. That doesn't make him a bad actor. And I'm gonna go ahead and put Raditz sounding like that because of direction. Especially in Kai, they want the voice to sound as much as it used to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrVfexIp ... re=related
Watch from 1:04-1:07 and tell me he's not overacting man.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrVfexIp ... re=related
He's not overacting, man.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:03 pm

It doesn't sound like he's overacting, I mean, the wind is blowing in his hair, his eyebrows are all scrunched down, and the animation clearly shows him yelling loudly. Him screaming the way he is seems pretty appropriate to me.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrVfexIp ... re=related
He's not overacting, man.
Yes he is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTrh-cp7qnM
From 0:01-0:04
See the difference? This is Canadian Raditz BTW.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Yes he is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTrh-cp7qnM
From 0:01-0:04
See the difference? This is Canadian Raditz BTW.
No, I don't. Maybe Stanford is just underacting? No, that's not it...

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I think he's under-acting there. Not that I would consider it the actor's fault. That particular line is one that the voice director would've (or should have) given specific instructions on how to deliver. Raditz is extremely insulted by his brother's insolence and betrayal. Not only is Goku disgracing the Saiyan race, but he's also disobeying his older brother. Of course he's going to sound that intense.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:51 am

batistabus wrote:I think he's under-acting there. Not that I would consider it the actor's fault. That particular line is one that the voice director would've (or should have) given specific instructions on how to deliver. Raditz is extremely insulted by his brother's insolence and betrayal. Not only is Goku disgracing the Saiyan race, but he's also disobeying his older brother. Of course he's going to sound that intense.
Raditz is overly ignorant. He assumes what he doesn't know. Goku doesn't want to be with his brother. He's a naive goof ball who likes fighting and being a family man. Raditz doesn't realise Goku was raised a human not a Saiyajin/Saiyan. That's like if you raise a Korean in Japan. They're still Korean, but are Japanese raised. Or a Japanese raised in South Korea. Do you get it?

ChampionofTime
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChampionofTime » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Raditz is overly ignorant. He assumes what he doesn't know. Goku doesn't want to be with his brother. He's a naive goof ball who likes fighting and being a family man. Raditz doesn't realise Goku was raised a human not a Saiyajin/Saiyan. That's like if you raise a Korean in Japan. They're still Korean, but are Japanese raised. Or a Japanese raised in South Korea. Do you get it?
Yes and I think Justin Cook conveyed that rather well without overacting.

Oh and on a side note in your signature shouldn't it be insect instead of incest?