Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 13, 2012 9:39 am

I haven't encountered any bad Dragon Ball Kai dubs, maybe for the Korean Kai dub that makes Freeza sound totally like a girl, but other than that all of them seemed to have done a superior dub job than before with their DBZ dubs.

My five favourite Kai dubs are:
1. Brazilian Portuguese
2. Latin Spanish
3. French
4. Gallego
5. Catalán

Anywho, I'm excited for the Ocean Group Dragon Ball Kai dub to be released, but still no TBA or date. Hum, I was told SelectaVisión for the Castellano dub for DBK but still nothing neither. :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Best to Worst Kai dubs?

Post by sangofe » Sun May 13, 2012 2:39 pm

You don't like FUNi's Kai dub at all?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 13, 2012 4:20 pm

sangofe wrote:You don't like FUNi's Kai dub at all?
I definitely do, it's surely better than the old DBZ dub but after having so many newer options I'm not going back to a dub version that doesn't even use the characters' original names.

The best of FUNimation's Kai dub is Dameon Clarke's Cell voice, it's perfect for the English Cell.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:29 pm

I dont know about any other dubs but I put FUNI as the best Kai dub. The Mexican dub is good but its VASTLY inferior to DBZ. Kai was a moot point in Latin America.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun May 13, 2012 6:07 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
sangofe wrote:I definitely do, it's surely better than the old DBZ dub but after having so many newer options I'm not going back to a dub version that doesn't even use the characters' original names.
Well technically speaking none of the dubs use all of the characters' original names. Even in the Mexican Spanish dub (for both Z and Kai), "Chichi" was changed to "Milk," and "Freeza" was changed to "Freezer" (although one could of course argue that that isn't a "change" so much as it is a different choice in how the name was romanized).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 13, 2012 6:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well technically speaking none of the dubs use all of the characters' original names. Even in the Mexican Spanish dub (for both Z and Kai), "Chichi" was changed to "Milk," and "Freeza" was changed to "Freezer" (although one could of course argue that that isn't a "change" so much as it is a different choice in how the name was romanized).
The Brazilian dub is the one that is the nearest to the Japanese, though Buruma is Bulma, Senzu Beans is Sementes dos Deuses (seeds of the Gods), Dragon Balls are Bolas do Dragão or Esferas do Dragão, if they were to keep "Dragon Balls" the Brazilian/etc audience watching it wouldn't be much aware what Dragon Balls would be since it's basically in English (even tho it's simple enough to figure out). Ki's Ki not translated to "Energy" like FUNimation did.

FUNimation keeping "Tien", "Chiatzu", "Solar Flare", "Tri Beam" and lots of others dubnames really crushed what they were going for, an accurate dub.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:23 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:FUNimation keeping "Tenshinhan", "Chiatzu", "Solar Flare", "Tri Beam" and lots of others dubnames really crushed what they were going for, an accurate dub.
As I understand it, "Chiaotzu" is a more-correct Mandarin romanization of 餃子, although "Jiaozi" would be better.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:As I understand it, "Chiaotzu" is a more-correct Mandarin romanization of 餃子, although "Jiaozi" would be better.
In the original Japanese version he's Chaozu, the name's great as it is, translating it to something else just ruined it. Chaozu's Chaozu, pointless to change around his name or anyone else's (Buruma was better as Bulma, though).

I wish the Brazilian Kai home releases included the uncut episodes with the BR dub, but the censored video is really good too. The script is from NickToons but it was edited for the original terms/names, guess they didn't like NT's too much.

Latin Spanish Kai dub: Over 9000
Brazilian Kai dub: Over 8000

The LS dub translated NT's dub as it is while the BR Kai dub translated but modified it to not have such idiotic memes and errors.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun May 13, 2012 8:06 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:FUNimation keeping "Tenshinhan", "Chiatzu", "Solar Flare", "Tri Beam" and lots of others dubnames really crushed what they were going for, an accurate dub.
Hmm...well, to each their own. I don't know that "crushed" is the most appropriate word. To me, the few names that weren't changed back to their correct pronunciation were more like a small dent in an otherwise great dub.

Also, for what it's worth, "Solar Flare" was correctly called Taio-Ken in the uncut home release.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon May 14, 2012 12:13 am

I actually think the Latin American Kai dub is just horrible. I can't stand all the voice changes (especially Gohan's; Laura Torres was definitely superior). I think the only people who stayed to play the original roles were Kuririn and Chiaotzu (and Chi-Chi too? In Z she had the same voice actress as Chiaotzu).
Although I think Edson Matus's Goku is pretty much on par with Mario Castañeda's. That was one of the few good voice changes.

So, yeah, overall that dub is at the near bottom of my list. It's like the opposite of the U.S.; Kai has a better dub here, and in Latin America, Z did.
So mondo lame.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:32 am

I think so too. I cant say its horrible since It STILL isnt One Piece levels of horrible dubbing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 14, 2012 6:45 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:In the original Japanese version he's Chaozu, the name's great as it is, translating it to something else just ruined it. Chaozu's Chaozu, pointless to change around his name
I think you totally missed the point on what his name is, where it comes from, and how it might actually be best to approximate it in a language other than the Chinese it originates from.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Senzu Beans is Sementes dos Deuses (seeds of the Gods)
"Senzu" literally just means "holy beans", so that's a perfectly valid translation.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 am

Oh, so THAT's what "senzu" means. What's the kanji for it? Or is it just written in kana?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 am

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw wrote:Oh, so THAT's what "senzu" means. What's the kanji for it? Or is it just written in kana?
仙豆

The sen (仙) is the same as in sen'nin, so I guess "holy" is embellishing it a little bit, but it's the same basic idea -- it's something a little more special, or in this case, I suppose "sage"-like. The 豆 (zu here, also mame, same as in delicious edamame) is just straight-up "beans".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon May 14, 2012 9:59 am

Ah, now I paritally know why the Latin American Spanish dub calls them "Semillas del Ermitaño" (Seeds of the Hermit). The "sen" was translated to "hermit"... though I don't know where they got "seeds" from "zu"/"mame".
So mondo lame.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
As I understand it, "Chiaotzu" is a more-correct Mandarin romanization of 餃子, although "Jiaozi" would be better.
Well the thing is, they don't call him "Chiaotzu", they call him Chee-Out-Zoo, they keep loudly pronouncing the E and T, they should be more silent...

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:09 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Well the thing is, they don't call him "Chiaotzu", they call him Chee-Out-Zoo, they keep loudly pronouncing the E and T, they should be more silent...
Maybe it's just me, but even before I started watching the Japanese version I always heard Chaozu or Chaotzu. I never heard "Chee-out-zoo."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:04 am

Chee-a-what?

I've always heard Chao-zu, so it's how I also say and write (Chaozu).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:30 pm

This would have to be mine:

1. Funimation - I know people have their beef with Funimation but in my eyes everything in this dub is spot on, including the dubbed opening
2. Korean -I don't know how Koreans pull it off all the time, but just as many other Korean anime dubs most of the VA's sound exactly like the original seiyuus, the dubbed opening could have been a lot better though, as compared to other Korean openings
3. Brazilian Portuguese -Sounds pretty awesome like the DBZ dub, and is a lot better than the Latin Spanish dub unfortunately
4. French - 1000x times better than the old dub, and doesn't make a bunch of stupid changes like its predecessor
5. Galician -Again 1000x times better than the old dub and actually has actual screams and such from the VAs
6. Latin Spanish -They really dropped the ball on this dub which is unfortunate because their DBZ dub was one of the best dubs in the world
7. Catalan -Kept a lot of the old names from DBZ but sound sounds better than the old dub
8. Basque, Indonesian, etc -haven't heard too much from these dubs so can't really give them a fair rating
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:03 am

How bad is the Latin Spanish dub of Kai? I can definitely see it being a downgrade from the Latin Spanish dub of DBZ because...

1. Their DBZ dub was uncut, whereas their Kai dub was edited.
2. Their DBZ dub was based on the original Japanese version, whereas their Kai dub is based on the Nicktoons-censored English dub (even keeping the English title cards).
3. The Kai dub had a ton of recasts due to budget issues.

...However...honestly, I've seen some clips of the Latin Spanish dub, and the acting, in and of itself, seems to be quite good. The new Goku in particular, Edson Matus, really sounds emotionally invested in his scenes. Since I don't know a lot of Spanish, I can't say for certain, but at times he sounds like he's actually more into it than the original Goku, Mario Casteneda. Here are some examples.

1. The Makankosappo
2. Goku uses the X20 Kaioken on Freeza
3. Goku spares some energy for Freeza
4. Namek explodes

EDIT: As well-done as the acting was in clip 4, I don't think I'll ever be able to watch this part of DBZ ever again without thinking about the Muffin Button.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.