How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How did the re-cast characters turn out (in your opinion

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:49 am

Ree wrote:I'll keep that in mind.

Recoome
Why I think: its too moronic to take seriously and he doesn't sound like a real person but a mockery of an stereotpical "moron".
Example: every scene when he's taunting people

Kaio
Why i think: WAY too screechy and the acting is terrible.
Example: when he's yelling at people.

Ox King
Why I think: acting is terrible and the voice doesnt fit.
Example: every scene.
Voices like that annoy me. I honestly think I'm pretty fair in my assessments of the actors. I have nostalgia for certain things but I don't think it clouds the issue to the point where I can't make an honest assessment, and I've never believed that the dub was at any point perfect. These three voices are awful in what is an otherwise excellent dub.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:12 pm

I agree they were willing to fix Freeza but not those 3?
OH and Chichi: everything I said about Kaio is bad about her, but female.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:33 pm

I disagree to a digree about Chichi. Cranz isn't good in the role, but she's not absolutely awful with a cartoonishly bad voice. Her voice sounds natural, it's the acting that's the problem.

The big difference between those two of those three and Freeza is he's a big character that you need to get right. While the directors should always try to get great voices and performances, it's not as much of an issue for characters like Ox King and Reacoom who are only in a handful of episodes. Kaio is a bigger issue, the the focus isn't as much on him as it is Freeza. Freeza is a central antagonist and the big bad HAS to work.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:39 pm

what is good about her voice though? I agree the acting is bad but the voice is just AS bad.

I guess but i'd still rather not hear bad voices from anyone

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Ree wrote:what is good about her voice though? I agree the acting is bad but the voice is just AS bad.

I guess but i'd still rather not hear bad voices from anyone
The actual voice is fine, she doesn't sound like a cartoon, my issue in that regard is that the actress never sounded young enough to play the character in early DB, in later Z, and GT, sure, but not a woman in her late teens and early 20's. I think Cranz's natural Texan accent would've worked for Chichi.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:29 pm

I don't like Colleen Clinkenbeard. Or rather, I don't like her voice. She's a good actress, and even though she fits Gohan better than Nadolny, I still think her voice is too hard on my ears, for lack of a better expression. I guess it's the same feeling dub fans get when they listen to Nozawa's screams but luckily I have no problem with her.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:31 pm

Same here! Both of them are not good but Nadoly was a bit more bearable since it AT LEAST wasnt as feminine as Colleen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:52 pm

I get that Coleen can come across as feminine at times, but I'll take her good acting over Nadolny's poor acting any day. What exactly is hard on your ears? Her voice isn't raspy, it's not screechy, nor does she have that annoying woody woodpecker laugh.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Raspy, no but it's too feminine
Screech, yes it is
Woody Woodpecker laugh, IDK what you mean

You may say she isn't as bad as Stephanie but she still does NOT sound like a young boy, i dont know any boy that sounds like her.
Saffron and BG Gohan are Gohan done RIGHT

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Ree wrote:Raspy, no but it's too feminine
Screech, yes it is
Woody Woodpecker laugh, IDK what you mean

You may say she isn't as bad as Stephanie but she still does NOT sound like a young boy, i dont know any boy that sounds like her.
Saffron and BG Gohan are Gohan done RIGHT
Nadolny also sounds feminine. Females playing boys is a convention that I'm fine with. While Saffron sounded most like a young boy, you can still tell it's a woman voicing Gohan. I'll take feminine over poor acting any day.
Listen to the way Nadolny's Goku laughs and how it has that unnatural rhythm to it. It's more like Krusty or Woody than a natural laugh.

She sounds young, and I'm fine with the voice. Nadolny also doesn't sound like a young boy. The BG dub is horrible.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:38 pm

ABED wrote:I get that Coleen can come across as feminine at times, but I'll take her good acting over Nadolny's poor acting any day. What exactly is hard on your ears? Her voice isn't raspy, it's not screechy, nor does she have that annoying woody woodpecker laugh.
I think her voice sounds too screechy, don't know how you can say it's not screechy, personally. Her screams aren't too good either, they lack emotion, they all sound all the same, little voice cracks or changes in tone that would make the scream great.

Not to say Nadolny's any better, she's not, but I don't think either of them are good for Gohan.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:45 pm

I like females playing boys WHEN THEY'RE GOOD.
i actually didn't know Saffron was a woman until recently, it's only because I know she's a woman that I can tell but she actually doesn't sound feminine.
why can't we have a voice that SOUNDS like a young boy and has good acting? Saffron is the only one that delivers
I kinda, sorta, hear it? still don't see the comparison though but oh well.

no she sounds like a preteen female that smokes. Especially Teen Gohan.
say what you want about BG but Funimation really isn't any better

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:I get that Coleen can come across as feminine at times, but I'll take her good acting over Nadolny's poor acting any day. What exactly is hard on your ears? Her voice isn't raspy, it's not screechy, nor does she have that annoying woody woodpecker laugh.
I think her voice sounds too screechy, don't know how you can say it's not screechy, personally. Her screams aren't too good either, they lack emotion, they all sound all the same, little voice cracks or changes in tone that would make the scream great.

Not to say Nadolny's any better, she's not, but I don't think either of them are good for Gohan.
Clearly we're hearing two different things. She's not screechy, give an example, and if there's one thing she doesn't lack, it's emotion. She's not the best Gohan ever, but she is good in the role.
say what you want about BG but Funimation really isn't any better
It's LEAGUES better. This comment comes across as a disingenuous attempt to knock a cast you don't like. It's not like comparing two things that are comparable in quality, it's like comparing an big Hollywood film to a grade school play.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Prove its leagues better
I don't judge them because I hate them,I judge them because they arent good.
How much of Big Green have you actually watched?
Big Green has a better voice for Broly, Dodoria, Turles, Gohan, Yamcha even though his acting is terrible.... THE LIST GOES ON
Higher production values doesnt make you superior

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:25 pm

Ree wrote:Prove its leagues better
Big Green has a better voice for Broly, Dodoria, Tullece, Gohan, Yamcha even though his acting is terrible.... THE LIST GOES ON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kXT0rGUg10

The same voice actor uses the same voice for 3 character here alone, and there's much more than that. I'm dying listening to this :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Ree wrote:Prove its leagues better
Big Green has a better voice for Broly, Dodoria, Tullece, Gohan, Yamcha even though his acting is terrible.... THE LIST GOES ON
Here's the Big Green Dub of several characters.

Seriously, in what world is that better than Funimation?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:54 am

Ree wrote:Prove its leagues better<br abp="766">I don't judge them because I hate them,I judge them because they arent good. <br abp="767">How much of Big Green have you actually watched?<br abp="768">Big Green has a better voice for Broly, Dodoria, Tullece, Gohan, Yamcha even though his acting is terrible.... THE LIST GOES ON<br abp="769">Higher production values doesnt make you superior
You can't prove the unprovable other than to say listen at how bad, stilted and horribly delivered those lines are.

I haven't seen much because what I've seen sounds like a fandub.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:04 am

Dragon Ball Z Big Green Dub: The Best of Brawly (Broly)

Broly sounds good in Big Green actually and he captures his personality the best.

Best of the Big Green DBZ Dub

I can make a "best of Funimation" compliation with only the worst voices, it would be the same as the above.

ABED: Funimation ALSO has bad, stilted and horribly delivered lines at points. didn't you say you hated Nadolny and Voller? you could probably find plenty examples from them if you tried.
your last sentence: Its easy to dismiss any cast by saying it sounds like a fan dub, that is not syaing any thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 am

Ree wrote:Dragon Ball Z Big Green Dub: The Best of Brawly (Broly)

Broly sounds good in Big Green actually and he captures his personality the best.

Best of the Big Green DBZ Dub

I can make a "best of Funimation" compliation with only the worst voices, it would be the same as the above.

ABED: Funimation ALSO has bad, stilted and horribly delivered lines at points. didn't you say you hated Nadolny and Voller? you could probably find plenty examples from them if you tried.
your last sentence: Its easy to dismiss any cast by saying it sounds like a fan dub, that is not syaing any thing.
Of course Funimation had a number of actors that gave bad performances, but not the entire cast, especially not in Kai.

It is saying something because the acting is of such low quality. I would say the same for DBZ season 3's dub, but the difference is, they got better.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:41 am

The best thing that I can say about the Big Green dub is that it is "better(?)" than the Malaysian dub. However, it's not nearly as funny.

I'm not familiar with the history of the dub, though. How did this....thing.....even become a thing?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"