Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:47 am

sintzu wrote:And the dvd's from funimation were in fullscreen so theres a big chnace that it will stay the same with this arc
Were they provided with 4:3 SD footage or were the DVDs downscaled from the Blu-rays?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:51 am

@Sintzu the FUNimation Kai DVDs were in fullscreen yeah but that doesn't matter much because the masters came from Japan to US so if Toei Animation decides to not give them the 4x3 AR footage it'll all be 16x9 AR.

FUNimation's DB/Z Movie Singles were all in fullscreen aspect ratio whereas in Japan they were cropped so if we're lucky then FUNimation receives the 4x3 AR masters.

By the way, if Toei Animation never made 4x3 AR version of DBK Majin Boo arc then there's no chance of a fullscreen edition.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 am

dbboxkaifan wrote: if Toei Animation decides to not give them the 4x3 AR footage it'll all be 16x9 AR.By the way, if Toei Animation never made 4x3 AR version of DBK Majin Boo arc then there's no chance of a fullscreen edition.
It was being made for the overseas market so them not making the last arc like the first 3 in 4:3 or not giving the 4:3 edition to funi is very unlikly
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 am

Toei Animation is known for its inconsistency and look at what Toei gave FUNimation in regards to Dragon Ball (1986), the 153 episodes, 1x OP (Animation #1) and 1x ED (Animation #2), this is incomplete but it was either this or nothing, I suppose.

It's their product so they'll do as they please, besides, we're in the era of Widescreen so this is another reason they could use.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 am

I wasn't interested in buying this but 16x9 AR is pretty tempting but then again the 69 episodes is a bit of a downer so I might just stick with Z.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 am

sintzu wrote:It was being made for the overseas market so them not making the last arc like the first 3 in 4:3 or not giving the 4:3 edition to funi is very unlikly
You never know. With all the shitty cropping FUNimation has been doing over the years, Toei probably thinks America likes it that way.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
sintzu wrote:It was being made for the overseas market so them not making the last arc like the first 3 in 4:3 or not giving the 4:3 edition to funi is very unlikly
You never know. With all the shitty cropping FUNimation has been doing over the years, Toei probably thinks America likes it that way.
Maybe that's also why the remaster is inferior this time - they think America likes crappy remastering :P

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Maybe they'll bust out some Nu-Metal for the big battle scenes.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:00 pm

EmmaWinters wrote:Maybe they'll bust out some Nu-Metal for the big battle scenes.
If that happened I'll buy it in a heartbeat lol

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm a little confused :crazy: I always thought that the FUNi's Kai DVDs were in 4x3 AR.
And so...the japanese releases for the Buu Arc will be in widescreen format only....what a disappointment.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:00 pm

FUNi's DVDs are in 4:3. Only the Japanese ones were released with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:15 pm

So, naturally, the only question that remains is if a Funimation Kai will be given the cropped resources or be left to their own discretion.

Kai, though. :clap:
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:36 pm

I doubt Funimation gives a shit about the aspect ratio anymore. In fact, I think cropping was preferred by their customers for some reason. They held a survey on it for the new bluray sets, didn't they? That was pretty frustrating.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:11 pm

EmmaWinters wrote:I doubt Funimation gives a shit about the aspect ratio anymore. In fact, I think cropping was preferred by their customers for some reason. They held a survey on it for the new bluray sets, didn't they? That was pretty frustrating.
They were probably going to release it in 16:9 anyway. They just realized they could do a poll where the uninformed fans could VOTE for them to be that way and shift the blame onto the fans should they be castigated for the release.

It worked. Most DBZ fans don't notice that the show shouldn't be in 16:9 and if they did Funimation could say that "It's what the fans wanted."

Unfortunately, the fans aren't the sharpest bunch.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am

penguintruth wrote: They were probably going to release it in 16:9 anyway. They just realized they could do a poll where the uninformed fans could VOTE for them to be that way and shift the blame onto the fans should they be castigated for the release.

It worked. Most DBZ fans don't notice that the show shouldn't be in 16:9 and if they did Funimation could say that "It's what the fans wanted." .
May I ask where you`re from?
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:27 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:FUNi's DVDs are in 4:3. Only the Japanese ones were released with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Well, the French DVDs were 16:9 AR too, so for France it'll stay more or less the same.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:00 pm

I was rewatching episode 100 and noticed that this time they didn't even have enough money to redraw flashing shots. In the scene where a bus hijacker shoots police cars with a machine gun, the footage suddenly gets jumpy. They seem to have dealt with it by simply dropping some frames.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:34 pm

penguintruth wrote:
EmmaWinters wrote:I doubt Funimation gives a shit about the aspect ratio anymore. In fact, I think cropping was preferred by their customers for some reason. They held a survey on it for the new bluray sets, didn't they? That was pretty frustrating.
They were probably going to release it in 16:9 anyway. They just realized they could do a poll where the uninformed fans could VOTE for them to be that way and shift the blame onto the fans should they be castigated for the release.
Really? I didn't see it that way. I think they really did release the Blu-rays in 16:9 just because the survey they made said fans wanted it that way, and that they wouldn't have done it otherwise. History would certainly suggest that.

I mean, I think FUNimation was--for a while, anyway--scared away from releasing anything Dragon Ball-related in 16:9. After the initial backlash from some fans about the orange bricks, their releases for DB and GT were all 4:3, and with noticeably less "restoration." I consider that a direct response to backlash, not a coincidence. Then they released the Dragon Boxes, which were in 4:3. Then there's the fact that they released Kai in 4:3 on both DVD and Blu-ray, even though they technically might have been able to get away with releasing it in 16:9 since it was in 16:9 on Japanese TV and DVD. Then the "Level" sets came along, which were in 4:3. You'd think, if FUNimation really liked 16:9 for DBZ that much, that they would have made at least one more 16:9 home video release in between the orange bricks and the new Blu-ray "Season Sets."

But that didn't happen. After the orange bricks, it was 4:3, 4:3, 4:3, 4:3.....then a survey gets released, and the show gets a 16:9 release. I don't think that's a coincidence.

So I don't believe that FUNimation necessarily wanted to do another 16:9 release, or thought it would be cheaper that way. I think they did it because, unfortunately, there actually are a lot of DBZ fans out there who really are that bothered by not having their screen "filled" with footage.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Episode 103 preview :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RhVeni1TzM

If it keeps going at this pace i don't see how are they going to have 69 episodes
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 pm

sintzu wrote:Episode 103 preview :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RhVeni1TzM

If it keeps going at this pace i don't see how are they going to have 69 episodes
By blasting through all of the story-based parts at break-neck pace, then leaving all of the fights untouched? :P

I'm suspecting more and more than there won't be 69 episodes, unless they actually have made GT Kai and included it in the episode count, in which case I'd be monumentally surprised.