Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Cold Skin » Tue May 06, 2014 4:50 pm

If the pace is to drastically go down like some suspect, leading to the 60-something episodes, is it possible that it's because Toei adjusted their work and made decisions as they kept creating the new episodes?
I mean, with the possibility of the "no filler at all, strictly the manga" policy suddenly switching to "after all, let's take more time to set things up" in upcoming episodes, it could seem like they changed their minds on some points of the "Kaification" process as they were creating episodes.

On another topic, are there any scenes from the manga that have been toned down in terms of violence? Cause some characters were going through a pretty rough time in the manga at specific moments:
- Videl seems horribly beaten up and loses teeth, especially when Spopovitch has drove his knee straight to her face!
- A whole family, including a kid and a woman cut in half, has been slaughtered by Babidi's henchmen.
- Spopovitch's body goes "boom" from the inside.
- Boo puts his fingers in Dabra's eyes, apparently piercing them in a splash of "eyes blood" (although this turns out to be untrue when Dabra returns minutes later).
- Babidi gets his head fist-exploded, leaving only his lower jaw.
- The old man and the old woman get mercilessly sniped by monstrous human criminals.
Fizzer wrote:Looking at the titles of the next two episodes, "A Troubling Premonition! The Appearance of a Mysterious Warrior!" and "What's the Matter Piccolo? An Unexpected Conclusion to the First Round!", I'd say the pacing is about to take a nosedive.
I'm not sure it will be as slow as you think: doesn't a typical Kai episode cover two chapters of the manga?
Cause it takes two chapters for Trunks VS Satan, the boys taking out Mighty Mask and dressing up like him, everyone seeing Kaio Shin and Kibito for the first time, and the fighters' random positionning on the match board. The episode might even include Krilin VS Punter (which is the beginning of a third chapter in the manga, then continuing with Piccolo VS Kaio Shin).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Cold Skin wrote:- The old man and the old woman get mercilessly sniped by monstrous human criminals.
They might try to keep it as light as possible to tone down the violence on this scene specifically because when Piccolo used his Mankankosappo against Goku & Raditz there wasn't a hole nor any blood at any point.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue May 06, 2014 10:05 pm

Cold Skin wrote:If the pace is to drastically go down like some suspect, leading to the 60-something episodes, is it possible that it's because Toei adjusted their work and made decisions as they kept creating the new episodes?
I mean, with the possibility of the "no filler at all, strictly the manga" policy suddenly switching to "after all, let's take more time to set things up" in upcoming episodes, it could seem like they changed their minds on some points of the "Kaification" process as they were creating episodes.
I don't know if they so much changed their minds as they went along as much as there's more material to work with as we move along. There's really not a whole lot that goes on in these early chapters, especially those covered in this last episode (103). A bunch of the pages of the Trunks vs Goten fight are just them exchanging punches. What else are you supposed to do with it? In Z they did really expand it out a bit with a bunch of filler.
Cold Skin wrote:On another topic, are there any scenes from the manga that have been toned down in terms of violence? Cause some characters were going through a pretty rough time in the manga at specific moments:
The way you're asking this question suggests that these scenes have already aired in Kai. Are you actually asking if they were toned down in Z?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed May 07, 2014 7:01 am

Hujio wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:On another topic, are there any scenes from the manga that have been toned down in terms of violence? Cause some characters were going through a pretty rough time in the manga at specific moments:
The way you're asking this question suggests that these scenes have already aired in Kai. Are you actually asking if they were toned down in Z?
Yeah, I meant in Z (I should have specified it), as hints to what we might see in the upcoming Kai episodes.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed May 07, 2014 12:23 pm

- Videl seems horribly beaten up and loses teeth, especially when Spopovitch has drove his knee straight to her face!
- A whole family, including a kid and a woman cut in half, has been slaughtered by Babidi's henchmen.
- Spopovitch's body goes "boom" from the inside.
- Boo puts his fingers in Dabra's eyes, apparently piercing them in a splash of "eyes blood" (although this turns out to be untrue when Dabra returns minutes later).
- Babidi gets his head fist-exploded, leaving only his lower jaw.
- The old man and the old woman get mercilessly sniped by monstrous human criminals.
The manga tends to include more blood and gore than the anime, so generally everything is less graphic.

-Videl's fight with Spopovich was pretty spot on in terms of blows landed, though the more graphic shots showing her teeth were removed.
-I don't remember seeing a family cut in half so it that was probably removed as well.
-Spopovich's death was pretty much exactly the same except the gore at the end was removed.
-Buu's eye-jab was left alone.
-If I remember correctly, Babidi's head is crushed off camera and it cuts to the credits, with the next episode opening to Buu blasting the body before his head is fully shown. This and Videl are probably the biggest edits.
-The sniping was left alone.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed May 07, 2014 4:00 pm

^ Thank you, that way I know a bit more about what to expect in the upcoming Kai episodes (Videl's scene is quite horrible in the manga, one can understand why Gohan can hardly refrain from jumping in to help her, so I can't wait to see how they handled that horrible moment for her in the anime despite lowering a bit the hurting).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 09, 2014 2:55 am

106 :
Videl is Worn Ragged
Gohan’s Anger at its Limits!!

107 :
A Slithering Conspiracy!!
Secrets of the Terrible Majin

They cut down the great saiyaman/tournament from 20 to 9 episodes

There's 60 episodes left for the majin buu part of the arc
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat May 10, 2014 1:00 pm

sintzu wrote:106 :
Videl is Worn Ragged
Gohan’s Anger at its Limits!!

107 :
A Slithering Conspiracy!!
Secrets of the Terrible Majin

They cut down the great saiyaman/tournament from 20 to 9 episodes

There's 60 episodes left for the majin buu part of the arc
Yep, getting slower.

spikevegeta

Post by spikevegeta » Sat May 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Once again, this show needed to slow down anyways. But in terms of how much manga material is covered per episode, it's really not slowing down that much. It looks like roughly 342 pages of the 1280 page Boo Arc will get covered in the first 9 episodes. That gives us like a 34-35 total episode pace, which is too fast IMO. 48 episodes will still probably be what we end up with.

Again, 69 episodes WILL NOT be the total, I don't care. There not going to condense the final 72 episodes into 60. What's the point? Especially after going WAY too fast these first few episodes. There not going to just leave in ALL filler at that point.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat May 10, 2014 11:41 pm

Just caught up after only having watched the first episode.

Absolutely loving the pacing!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 10, 2014 11:52 pm

Plenty of cartoons cover more than thirty or forty pages of their original comic, there's no reason Dragon Ball Kai should aim to be slower. It should aim to be better directed.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat May 10, 2014 11:56 pm

I've seen some anime adapt over 200 pages of a comic in a single episode!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 11, 2014 3:50 am

spikevegeta wrote:There not going to condense the final 72 episodes into 60. What's the point?
More episodes means more $$$
Less condensing means less work

As of now only 48 are up for sale so let''s hope it satys that way

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun May 11, 2014 5:04 am

48 is my current guess. I'll be very disappointed if it's longer than that.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu May 22, 2014 4:29 am

New episode titles are up, for those that are interested.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 22, 2014 5:06 am

Hujio wrote:New episode titles are up, for those that are interested.
Thanks a lot,It looks like 108 will end with goku killing yakon and 109 with 18 giving up to mr.Satan

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 am

More and more I can hardly believe the 60-something episodes announced.

Goku and Vegeta finishing Puipui and Yakon already?
It goes so fast, what are they gonna do next for it to be 60 episodes? Start leaving every single filler in?

Bottom line, I don't say this is untrue information since it's official, but still, I'll wait until we have an episode that actually drastically slows down the pace a lot before I believe that official count of episodes. Or titles for upcoming episodes showing a huge decrease in speed.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 am

I bet we'll get an extra story arc set after BoG.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 am

If we do it will be under the Z name not Kai, plus outside of Japan it's called "The Final Chapters" so that alone is enough to say we won't get anything else under the Kai name after the Buu arc is done (or anything new at least).
Cold Skin wrote: I don't say this is untrue information since it's official.
Whoever is responsible on the site could have made a mistake and since we haven't heard anything about more home releases it's possible that Nozawa's statement about the episodes being cut in half is true.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Cold Skin wrote:More and more I can hardly believe the 60-something episodes announced.

Goku and Vegeta finishing Puipui and Yakon already?
It goes so fast, what are they gonna do next for it to be 60 episodes? Start leaving every single filler in?

Bottom line, I don't say this is untrue information since it's official, but still, I'll wait until we have an episode that actually drastically slows down the pace a lot before I believe that official count of episodes. Or titles for upcoming episodes showing a huge decrease in speed.
I'd love nothing more than to see them keep up this pace. I love it. Like I said before, though, I have a feeling that they are just racing through this opening material and then the pace will crash once Buu is released. I really hope not, though. Maybe the 69 was a typo and they meant to type 49. :think: