Kai or Z?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai or Z?

Post by Weejus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Kai. I watched Kai in full first (don't kill me), and while people complain that the redrawn Kai scenes look like arse, I'd still take it over the Orange Bricks. Even with Kikuchi music, Kai is still superior (Faulconer Z is a mixed bag, it gives Kikuchi a run for his money when it comes to action and suspense scenes, but it cannot do peaceful scenes well). The dub is fantastic, the pacing is good and perfectly serviceable for rewatching (unlike Z unless you use those 'Full Fight' videos that are all over YouTube).

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:39 pm

I haven't watched any Kai but I think if I were to have my Dragonball memory erased I would probably choose Kai over Z.
Since I watched Z first edited then Uncut in its entirety, I prefer it since it has everything.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Sun May 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Though I do prefer Kai for the superior dub and faster pacing, I still do enjoy the original Dragon Ball Z and as I mentioned before I will always have a fondness for it.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Kai for the dub, Z vids online that edit out filler for Japanese version.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:39 pm

What are your opinions on the buu saga of Kai so far? Do you think its better then its Z counterpart?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:42 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:What are your opinions on the buu saga of Kai so far? Do you think its better then its Z counterpart?
Which version. JPN version is bad. Z destroys. From what we KNOW of international version. The Korean Dub is tied with Korean Z. However I can't call fair judgement yet

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Meh the International version will probably be the exact same as Z Buu except:

- Sumitomo Score
- Twenty episodes worthy of filler removed
- Better looking in HD
- A bit of Darker colors
- Grainless
- Better audio quality because of no original masters in Z

So unless you like Kikuchi better, i'd say Kai is pretty much a better deal all around.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Dub-wise:
Kai from Saiyan to Imperfect Arc - End

Z From Perfect Cell to Kid Buu.

Kai - Uub Arc.

Thats just my preference. The voice acting quality goes up and down for both incarnations.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Kai Oob arc? How....? What!? :crazy:

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:31 pm

The first volume of Kai was great. It really got rid of a lot of bad filler from the saiyan saga. But overall I would go with Z. I also really don't like Kai's remastering. I used to have Kai on blu ray, and it looked like it was a DVD.
Neo died for our smiths.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 am

If Kai had kept Yamamoto throughout and the Buu arc was actually good and not horribly bloated, then Kai would destroy Z's awful pacing and crappy English dub. As it is, Kai is such low quality garbage that I have to say Z wins without doubt.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Kai for the pacing, accuracy and scripts.
Z for nearly everything else.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:41 am

So now that Kai is officially over which series do you guys prefer now? Z or Kai?

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:02 am

Definitely Kai. Over 130 episodes of my life that can be spent doing something else! Like watching Super!
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:49 am

TheAldella wrote:Definitely Kai. Over 130 episodes of my life that can be spent doing something else! Like watching Super!
Same here. Why watch DBZ that has 291 episodes, while I can watch Kai that has the same story but has it covered in 167 episodes? If super does get 100 episodes (which was just a placeholder cuz the episode count says ''xx'' again) I can watch Kai, then watch Super and I still wouldn't be done with DBZ.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Absolutely Z. Through all its pacing issues, it still has better performances, better music, better placed music, and actually coexists with the first Dragon Ball anime nicely.

I can appreciate and enjoy Kai 1.0 a lot, but the Boo arc is a disgusting product, and its editing is not even remotely good enough to sway me on the pacing-front.

Ask me about the dub, and my answer is always going to be Kai, however. The gains on that side of things are big enough to justify enduring the flaws.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:14 pm

ok i admitt i havent even seen kai but i can still tell you its Z for me, i cant judge its quality but for me it cant beat the original.

however i am looking to buy kai on dvd in the near future and wanted to ask some things about it. i am pretty sure this is not the right thread for that but since i dont know where else to ask i am just gonna ask here.

i heard mr popo is blue in DBKai is that true?
are they releasing the stuff after cell in english?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Alex9196 wrote: i heard mr popo is blue in DBKai is that true?
are they releasing the stuff after cell in english?

1. That was just for the edited CW broadcast.
2. Eventually, yes. We know the dub is coming, we just don't know when.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:50 pm

Z did many scenes that just can't be beat like each and every Super Saiyan transformation. I like both but generally would recommend Kai for newcomers.
AjayLikesGaming wrote:better music, better placed music
Mostly, but definitely not always. For Kai, Goku's heart disease piece I mentioned in the other thread along with Vegeta's Super Saiyan training montage had much better music placement. Sometimes Z simply forgot to place music during low budget filler scenes.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Prior to Boo arc Kai, I would have said Kai easily. But Z didn't fuck up any of its arcs nearly as bad as Kai fucked up Boo. It's almost unbearable. As a whole, Z. For the English dub fans, for any rewatches and for those who don't care for the Boo arc unlike myself, then Kai.