List of Newly Animated Segments?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

List of Newly Animated Segments?

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:59 am

Has anyone made a list of any new Animated bits in Kai? Like when they happen in the episode?

Duo
I Live Here

Re: List of Newly Animated Segments?

Post by Duo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:21 am

If you dig through this sub-forum, you'll find threads for each episode released as they were coming out. Within, a lot of folks put time and energy into pointing out each bit of this. I recommend starting there, if nobody shows up with a compilation of data.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:48 am

What do you mean by "newly animated"? Digitally traced shots or only those with newly added animation?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 am

Duo wrote:If you dig through this sub-forum, you'll find threads for each episode released as they were coming out. Within, a lot of folks put time and energy into pointing out each bit of this. I recommend starting there, if nobody shows up with a compilation of data.
Cheers , I best get searching.

kei17 wrote:What do you mean by "newly animated"? Digitally traced shots or only those with newly added animation?
newly animated footage. Stuff they had to draw to fill in a scene to bridge it another shot.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Seems that scene that got added in Kai where Gohan is backing up to dodge Vegeta's blasts was based off this.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:56 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Image

Seems that scene that got added in Kai where Gohan is backing up to dodge Vegeta's blasts was based off this.
But I've seen that shot in the original....
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Gonstead wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:Image

But I've seen that shot in the original....
Huh, well the last time I actually watched the original Z version was way back when it was on Toonami.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:02 am

What's that even from? I've mostly only read the pre-Z era in the manga, so animated stuff goes above my head.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:08 am

From what I know, this is the only instance of newly added animation:

Duo wrote:What's that even from? I've mostly only read the pre-Z era in the manga, so animated stuff goes above my head.
It's from a filler episode in the Piccolo Daimao arc in which Goku fights against some kind of phantom of Kamesen'nin to obtain Choshinsui.

He thought that the following shot from Kai had been newly animated by imitating that shot.

But it's actually in Z, too.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:19 pm

How about the very last few seconds in episode 98 after the recaps? When Goku says "See ya!".

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:56 am

Codarik wrote:How about the very last few seconds in episode 98 after the recaps? When Goku says "See ya!".

Oh god, that was the worst one! Gohan is so tiny and looks very off model.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:38 am

Yeah. It's incredibly obvious that they just traced the Cha-la version of that shot and modified Gohan to be super saiyan. They couldn't even tell he was supposed to be much taller after leaving the time room.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:48 pm

kei17 wrote:i.

He thought that the following shot from Kai had been newly animated by imitating that shot.

But it's actually in Z, too.

:lol: Db Wikia has that as a newly added scene that wasn't in Z. Though some scenes has been reanimated. Such as Krillin getting the power up and getting excited.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:21 pm

kei17 wrote:From what I know, this is the only instance of newly added animation:

There's also this:
Z- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YT2as#t=56
Kai- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... boBI#t=192
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:59 pm

Also, the scene where Goku catches Freeza's blast with his hands and it pushes him through a cliff looks like it had more frames drawn in the traced shots, though I don't have it on hand.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:59 am

I always assumed there was more.

Did the buu arc have anything new?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:43 am

Krillin1994 wrote:I always assumed there was more.

Did the buu arc have anything new?
No, it didn't. In the Buu arc, they gave up digital retracing and chose to just blur or frame-skip the flashing shots. They also added digital glow effects to some of such shots, but they never added any newly hand-drawn animation.