Dragon Box for Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Box for Kai?

Post by WesMan23 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Once the Buu saga Kai is released, do you think they'll do something similar to what they did for the Dragon Boxes and release a box set with extra materials and so on? Or do you think they will just be sold per season as they're doing now? It would be cool to have something like that, though it would be much smaller than the original Dragon Box, but they could do like a combo set, with Blu-Ray and DVD in the same set, as well as other goodies and so on, and the whole series could probably be purchased at a reasonable price that way, maybe $100 or so.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Box for Kai?

Post by ShinGaijin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:57 pm

That's a very good question...that would be awesome really...but, you're talking about FUNimation or Happinet ?
For the japanese market, a complete re-release is hopeless, given the poor sales in Japan for the first 98 episodes.I guess they'll release a "Majin Buu Hen" Blu Ray box, and that's all.
And for our "friends" in Texas :lol: ....everything is possible.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:15 pm

That would be really awesome, but personally I don't think Kai really needs a box set because the Season sets are already good enough while Japan and U.S had their reasons for needing it really badly. I wonder how it would look like?! :lolno:
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:46 am

Isn't the whole Dragon Box thing about getting the best picture and audio from the series? You have this for Kai already, it's the Blu-Rays.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:02 am

A dragon box mastering on kai, wouldn't look any different.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:06 am

Why would Toei Animation release a "Dragon Box" release of an unprofitable show? Not only is it not necessary but they've already released it in two forms, boxes and singles.

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:16 am

Exactly, I would see no point in making a dragon box type release.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:30 am

The reason the other series and movies got a dragon box release was because they didn't have any other release unlike kai which has 2 : DVD/Blu-ray
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 pm

sintzu wrote:The reason the other series and movies got a dragon box release was because they didn't have any other release unlike kai which has 2 : DVD/Blu-ray
No many of the movies from the Dragon Box were already released on laserdisc.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
sintzu wrote:The reason the other series and movies got a dragon box release was because they didn't have any other release unlike kai which has 2 : DVD/Blu-ray
LaserDisc was outdated by that time. DVDs were big during that time and the movies also needed a better, new remaster.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:32 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
LaserDisc was outdated by that time. DVDs were big during that time and the movies also needed a better, new remaster.
Wrong. DVD didnt even exist yet when Dead Zone was released. Where are you getting your bogus information from?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:12 pm

LordCrumb wrote:Isn't the whole Dragon Box thing about getting the best picture and audio from the series? You have this for Kai already, it's the Blu-Rays.
It's also for collector's sake because in the case of Ball, Z and GT the Dragon Boxes had the best packaging of any release of the series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:52 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:No many of the movies from the Dragon Box were already released on laserdisc.
Wrong. DVD didnt even exist yet when Dead Zone was released. Where are you getting your bogus information from?
You misunderstand. He's saying that DVDs were popular by the time the Dragon Boxes were being released, not when the movies themselves were being released.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Also, if we're treating the Dragon Boxes as a release for purists, that is impossible, given the music replacement.