Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:10 pm

I know the fact that it was going to be dubbed was a no brainer, but I'll put this here for the curious! " ;)

http://www.anmtvla.com/2014/05/dragon-b ... -saga.html
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed May 21, 2014 11:02 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know the fact that it was going to be dubbed was a no brainer, but I'll put this here for the curious! " ;)

http://www.anmtvla.com/2014/05/dragon-b ... -saga.html
Cool! And interesting that it has been officially announced before the English dub. I wonder if this means that the Latino Spanish dub of the Buu saga of Kai will be using the original Japanese version as its main reference (rather than the earlier sagas, which were for all intents and purposes a Spanish dub of the English dub; scripts, Nicktoons-edited footage and all).

Any word on whether or not the original Latino Spanish DBZ cast will be back, since they came back for the Latino Spanish dub of BoG?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 23, 2014 5:23 pm

At least this time there's no NickToons version to screw it up like it happened before with it.

It'd be awesome Mario Castañeda would voice Goku this time around but it might not happen, although fans would want him too.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri May 23, 2014 8:54 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:At least this time there's no NickToons version to screw it up like it happened before with it.
So wait, do we know for a fact that it won't be based on the NickToons version? I don't speak Spanish well enough to determine that from the article. Unless the article says otherwise, I was going to assume that it will still be based on the NickToons version.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat May 24, 2014 5:36 am

I've read the article and it doesn't say anything about which version it'll be dubbed from.

Does anyone have the source of Toei confirming that Lat.Am. will receive it? I've found very few sites talking about it (namely two in Spanish and one in English apart from this topic). What's more, in the only English site I found, it says this:
Toei Animation has confirmed that the new episodes of Dragon Ball Kai will be making their way to Latin America and it will be using the same dub cast used in the latest Dragon Ball Z movie, Battle of Gods.
But that piece of information is missing from the Spanish-language news. Does Toei ever get into saying who's going to dub a series in another country/region, when sometimes it takes months to know after the license is announced?

So yeah, until I read the Toei source (doesn't matter if it's in Japanese), I'm going to find it EXTREMELY HARD to believe it. How many times have Latin American media said that there would be a new DBZ series specifically for the Latin American market, that there would be a new movie sequel to "Battle of Gods" because Toei had taken into account the great success in Mexico, that Toei would supposedly be confirming the Mexican cast even before the Japanese cast...? Come on.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:44 am

lol that is so ridiculous, I can't even. I imagine it will keep the same actors from the previous Kai seasons, because IIRC the original ones were too expensive to hire now.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:42 am

No offense, but I make a point of not believing any news about Dragon Ball from Latin America until I see it actually coming out.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:04 am

Wait, so the Latin American dub was edited only? Or do they also have uncut DVDs?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Wait, so the Latin American dub was edited only? Or do they also have uncut DVDs?
The Kai Latin American dub was edited only, yes. They got the Nicktoons footage and even based their dub's script on the script of the Nicktoons-edited English dub...heck, they even kept the English Nicktoons episode title cards. Dub director Irwin Daayan tried to soften the blow wherever possible by replacing words and pronunciations unique to the English dub with the words and pronunciations of the original Latin American dub of DBZ (for example, changing all instances of "Spirit Bomb" back to "Genki Dama," "Say-in" to "Saiyajin," etc.), but that only did so much to calm angry audiences down.

They do have a DVD release as I understand it, but it's identical to what aired on Latin American TV.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:15 pm

Wow, that really sucks. A lot of fans really don't realize how good we have it. Well, for this series. I weep for every video game adaptation anime. :(

I asked a similar question before, but I wonder which versions in the rest of the world are uncut and which ones are edited.

"This sucks. Make more."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Wow, that really sucks. A lot of fans really don't realize how good we have it. Well, for this series. I weep for every video game adaptation anime. :(

I asked a similar question before, but I wonder which versions in the rest of the world are uncut and which ones are edited.
Well, for that we may need to define "edited." Because in some cases, like Portugal, they didn't get a dub of Kai, they just televised the original Japanese version with Portuguese subtitles. It was visually uncut, but for the first half of the show,* the Portuguese subtitles were--oddly enough--translating the uncut English dub's script, rather than the original Japanese script. So, technically, that may count as an edited airing, depending how you look at it.

*They later got a new translator who accurately translated the original Japanese dialogue.

So with that in mind, I know the Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs are edited and received the Nicktoons version for dubbing purposes. Portugal, as I mentioned, was kind of edited.

When it comes to uncut airings, France had an edited TV dub and an uncut home video release dub, as well as a televised airing of the original Japanese version with French subtitles...in all of these cases, France's version didn't appear to be based on the Nicktoons-edited English dub or the uncut English dub.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:35 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:Wow, that really sucks. A lot of fans really don't realize how good we have it. Well, for this series. I weep for every video game adaptation anime. :(

Well, for that we may need to define "edited." Because in some cases, like Portugal, they didn't get a dub of Kai, they just televised the original Japanese version with Portuguese subtitles. It was visually uncut, but for the first half of the show,* the Portuguese subtitles were--oddly enough--translating the uncut English dub's script, rather than the original Japanese script. So, technically, that may count as an edited airing, depending how you look at it.

*They later got a new translator who accurately translated the original Japanese dialogue.

So with that in mind, I know the Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs are edited and received the Nicktoons version for dubbing purposes. Portugal, as I mentioned, was kind of edited.

When it comes to uncut airings, France had an edited TV dub and an uncut home video release dub, as well as a televised airing of the original Japanese version with French subtitles...in all of these cases, France's version didn't appear to be based on the Nicktoons-edited English dub or the uncut English dub.
Ok, so we're not the only ones. :D
So, does anyone know when this is happening? We've gotten a few answers from the recent Korean airing, but hopefully the more widespread Latin one should give us more insight on this International Version.

"This sucks. Make more."

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 pm

I wonder if they'll use the awful 'Z Kai' dub or the original voices...

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:35 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

We also didn't get the EDs, except in the very last episode, and the part of the episode previews with newly drawn animation of Goku panning towards the temple at the start was removed.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:02 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Actually, France broadcasted both versions of the dubs, and the sub.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:53 pm

He explicitly said "No, unless they redub the first half of Kai" which is simply not going to happen.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:39 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:He explicitly said "No, unless they redub the first half of Kai" which is simply not going to happen.
But if they're preparing a redub for a digital release (maybe Netflix)?

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:32 pm

Mario Castañeda will return as Goku! :clap: :clap:

https://twitter.com/ccp_mario/status/697079782702329856