Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1787
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden or Virginia, depending on the mood

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby Valerius Dover » Mon May 02, 2016 6:17 am

PMD wrote:Wait, Ricardo Silva will sing the opening?? What a bummer. I like Adrian Barba's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_oN5aH0DE


I should probably point out that it won't be the same opening. It's Fight It Out they're using.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

2% of Kanzenshuu-goers have kissed a girl. If you're one of the 98% that is still pure and innocent, copy and paste this into your signature.

User avatar
PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:09 am
Location: Argentina

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby PMD » Mon May 02, 2016 6:39 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
PMD wrote:Wait, Ricardo Silva will sing the opening?? What a bummer. I like Adrian Barba's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_oN5aH0DE


I should probably point out that it won't be the same opening. It's Fight It Out they're using.


FUUUUUUUCK!!! NOO! Horrible song.

User avatar
Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Pilot Mountain Pinnacle

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby Naruto6583 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:39 pm

PMD wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:
PMD wrote:Wait, Ricardo Silva will sing the opening?? What a bummer. I like Adrian Barba's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_oN5aH0DE


I should probably point out that it won't be the same opening. It's Fight It Out they're using.


FUUUUUUUCK!!! NOO! Horrible song.

Well whether you like it or not that song was made for the international market. Zetsu Go is for japan only
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3351
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 02, 2016 4:02 pm

I for one thought "Fight It Out" was much better than "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go," and the prospect of hearing it dubbed in another language is exciting!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Pilot Mountain Pinnacle

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby Naruto6583 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:28 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I for one thought "Fight It Out" was much better than "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go," and the prospect of hearing it dubbed in another language is exciting!

Wouldn't this be the first time we get to hear it in another language?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3351
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I for one thought "Fight It Out" was much better than "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go," and the prospect of hearing it dubbed in another language is exciting!

Wouldn't this be the first time we get to hear it in another language?


Indeed it would. All of the international dubs that have aired so far have not dubbed the songs. In some cases, this was expected, like France...I mean, it's not as though they never dub songs, but it's very, very, very, very, very rare that they do. However, other dubbing companies have said that they would have dubbed the songs, but were not given permission to do so.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Pilot Mountain Pinnacle

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby Naruto6583 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:47 pm

Indeed it would. All of the international dubs that have aired so far have not dubbed the songs. In some cases, this was expected, like France...I mean, it's not as though they never dub songs, but it's very, very, very, very, very rare that they do. However, other dubbing companies have said that they would have dubbed the songs, but were not given permission to do so.[/quote]
So does this mean that if allowed funimation will get to dub them?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1787
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden or Virginia, depending on the mood

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby Valerius Dover » Mon May 02, 2016 7:29 pm

^Personally, I don't see why they would, considering they're already in English. Sure, the opening's a little tricky to understand, but it's still English.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

2% of Kanzenshuu-goers have kissed a girl. If you're one of the 98% that is still pure and innocent, copy and paste this into your signature.

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby OmegaRockman » Mon May 02, 2016 7:46 pm

How can we even be sure they're dubbing the songs? If I remember right, wasn't this just a picture of Gohan's actor with Ricardo Silva? For all we know he could have just been there to say hi or do a cameo to make up for the fact that he can't sing for the dub. Unless there was something more hinted at in the tweet/FB post? My Spanish isn't super amazing, so I may have missed something.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3351
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:So does this mean that if allowed funimation will get to dub them?


If allowed, they have that option, yes. That's a big "if" though. Furthermore, even if they're granted permission, may choose not to anyway, because as Valerius Dover said, it's already in English.

Apparently, when a dubbing company gets the rights to an anime, they don't automatically get the right to dub the songs as well. That has to be negotiated separately and, I gather, negotiated with the record company who produced the songs in addition to (or perhaps even instead of) the original animation company. According to a few FUNimation actors, while dub singers are allowed to talk--anywhere and in any way they want--about the songs they've dubbed, they're not allowed to be officially credited (although this rule might have softened, because I've noticed dub singers getting credited in other international dubs of other anime shows, such as Saint Seiya Omega).

Most of the songs that are produced for One Piece are produced by a company called Avex Trax, and a while back, they issued a "NO DUB"-rule for all of their songs, so not only did FUNimation stop dubbing the songs, but other dubbing companies--including those farther along in the series than FUNimation--did as well.

Dragon Ball songs are produced by Columbia Records, and while we don't know if a "NO DUB"-rule has been issued, it's possible that it has. It would explain why The Final Chapters, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection F all have English covers of the original Japanese songs, sung by the original Japanese singers. It's my theory that Columbia Records just said, "Hey, you know what, rather than having the dubbing company dub the songs, we could just bring more attention to our singers and increase sales if we just have them do the English versions, and since English is pretty much the 'international language,' we could just use the English covers for every other country." Now, I'll be the first to admit, I could be totally wrong, that's just a theory. Still, I think it's possible.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:09 am
Location: Argentina

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby PMD » Tue May 03, 2016 2:14 am

OmegaRockman wrote:How can we even be sure they're dubbing the songs? If I remember right, wasn't this just a picture of Gohan's actor with Ricardo Silva? For all we know he could have just been there to say hi or do a cameo to make up for the fact that he can't sing for the dub. Unless there was something more hinted at in the tweet/FB post? My Spanish isn't super amazing, so I may have missed something.


Gohan's actor said "The singer", so we're assuming (we could be wrong) Silva is going to sing the opening. And yes, in Latin America the openings and endings are ALWAYS dubbed. And the versions are awesome.

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1787
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden or Virginia, depending on the mood

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby Valerius Dover » Tue May 03, 2016 3:06 am

PMD wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:How can we even be sure they're dubbing the songs? If I remember right, wasn't this just a picture of Gohan's actor with Ricardo Silva? For all we know he could have just been there to say hi or do a cameo to make up for the fact that he can't sing for the dub. Unless there was something more hinted at in the tweet/FB post? My Spanish isn't super amazing, so I may have missed something.


Gohan's actor said "The singer", so we're assuming (we could be wrong) Silva is going to sing the opening. And yes, in Latin America the openings and endings are ALWAYS dubbed. And the versions are awesome.


It's possible they might make an exception for Latin America, given the prevalence of the Spanish language. So, it wouldn't surprise me completely. I wonder of they might have trouble understanding the lyrics...
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

2% of Kanzenshuu-goers have kissed a girl. If you're one of the 98% that is still pure and innocent, copy and paste this into your signature.

SaintEvolution
Regular
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby SaintEvolution » Tue May 03, 2016 11:43 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
PMD wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:How can we even be sure they're dubbing the songs? If I remember right, wasn't this just a picture of Gohan's actor with Ricardo Silva? For all we know he could have just been there to say hi or do a cameo to make up for the fact that he can't sing for the dub. Unless there was something more hinted at in the tweet/FB post? My Spanish isn't super amazing, so I may have missed something.


Gohan's actor said "The singer", so we're assuming (we could be wrong) Silva is going to sing the opening. And yes, in Latin America the openings and endings are ALWAYS dubbed. And the versions are awesome.


It's possible they might make an exception for Latin America, given the prevalence of the Spanish language. So, it wouldn't surprise me completely. I wonder of they might have trouble understanding the lyrics...


Actually, Silvio Giraldi(the director of the brazilian portuguese dub of Kai) said something about dub the songs in a Facebook commentary in the last month. He was tagged in a post with a fandubbed version of Ku Zetsu Go and said something like "Just wait for the version we are doing, it's a very good job" translated to english, if I remember well.

So, it's very possible that Brazil and Latin America got dubbed versions, in portuguese and spanish, for Fight it Out.

SaintEvolution
Regular
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby SaintEvolution » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:32 pm

I assume Fight it Out and Never Give Up were dubbed into spanish, right? Today is the the premiere day.

wjbraden
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby wjbraden » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:55 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:I assume Fight it Out and Never Give Up were dubbed into spanish, right? Today is the the premiere day.


Yes, they did.
Fight It Out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5otaclhcNY0
Never Give Up https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz26F1Y4LOM

It's curious that you guys in Latin America were able to dub the OP & ED when all other regions weren't. Even here in the US, we were stuck with the "Engrish" versions (no offense to the Japanese artists, but their English pronunciation is so far off, it is barely comprehensible).

A few things I did notice from viewing the dubbed Spanish OP & ED: You can still hear some of the original chorus in the background in Fight It Out (namely "Let's Go" and "Fusion, you and me". Evidently a bona-fide, clean instrumental track was not provided to the studio. Also, for the Never Give Up, it sounds (to me at least) that they used a different instrumental track than the original. Not sure if this the case for the Brazilian versions of the songs, since I haven't found them on YouTube yet.
Interested in learning about the many International dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

SaintEvolution
Regular
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby SaintEvolution » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:04 pm

wjbraden wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:I assume Fight it Out and Never Give Up were dubbed into spanish, right? Today is the the premiere day.


Yes, they did.
Fight It Out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5otaclhcNY0
Never Give Up https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz26F1Y4LOM

It's curious that you guys in Latin America were able to dub the OP & ED when all other regions weren't. Even here in the US, we were stuck with the "Engrish" versions (no offense to the Japanese artists, but their English pronunciation is so far off, it is barely comprehensible).

A few things I did notice from viewing the dubbed Spanish OP & ED: You can still hear some of the original chorus in the background in Fight It Out (namely "Let's Go" and "Fusion, you and me". Evidently a bona-fide, clean instrumental track was not provided to the studio. Also, for the Never Give Up, it sounds (to me at least) that they used a different instrumental track than the original. Not sure if this the case for the Brazilian versions of the songs, since I haven't found them on YouTube yet.


Not only in US english dub, but in other versions like the catalan or the south korean where they are used to dubbed songs they couldn't. Only in Latin America and Brazil the studios were allowed to do it.

In the brazilian dub the songs were dubbed too as I've commented in the topic of the brazilian dub, but nobody uploaded it on internet until now.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 2946
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Composicion de la serie:Caramel Mama WUT!?

I cant wait to hear the actual episodes lol.


Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.


Pirina_Fusee wrote:Man that line is trying too hard. "We is Vizzle, we down with da kidzzle dizzle! Emoji!"

User avatar
Tian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: Buu Saga is coming to Latin America

Postby Tian » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Composicion de la serie:Caramel Mama WUT!?

I cant wait to hear the actual episodes lol.


I remember I read somewhere that Caramel Mama is a group who worked alongside Akira Toriyama and Bird Studio in several projects like Chrono Trigger's OVA and Daizenshuu & Chozenshuu books.


Return to “Dragon Ball Kai”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 8000 Saiyan and 2 guests