DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:53 pm

In fact the piece that plays in Kikuchi Kai when Piccolo shows up on the island is the same piece that played in Z.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:02 am

Glad to see you guys agree on the score in that episode and ironically no one answer my question to whether or not the final placement of Kikuchi's score is good or not, but from what I can tell, it seems to be fine. But of course that's only the first two episodes so I can't complete say with confidence if I think it's properly placed or not.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:21 am

I know I wasn't fond of Kikuchi's score from part 5 to 8. Maybe except the last 3 episodes.

I got part 1-4 with Yamamoto. I'm literally just watching this just so I can see if the music fits or not haha.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:43 am

I'm glad Turner and Dish came to an agreement so I can watch DBZ Kai uncensored on TV. :)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:36 am

I don't know why but watching Kai on Toonami makes me feel enjoy inside of me. Nothing beats the feel of watching DBZ on CN again. The last time I stay up to watch DBZ on TV was the Ultimate Uncut run almost a decade ago.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:48 am

Toonami's being kinda inconsistent with their cuts. First episode had the full opening, full ending (& uncropped), no eyecatches, and no preview. Oh, and Yamamoto. Second and third episodes have Kikuchi, edited OP, edited ED (& cropped/zoomed in), no eyecatches, and no preview. Fourth, is the same as 2 and 3 but now includes the eyecatches.

Really strange, but at least we finally get DBZ uncensored with a faithful script on US TV.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:44 am

Soul wrote:Glad to see you guys agree on the score in that episode and ironically no one answer my question to whether or not the final placement of Kikuchi's score is good or not, but from what I can tell, it seems to be fine. But of course that's only the first two episodes so I can't complete say with confidence if I think it's properly placed or not.
I've only been watching the french dub of Kai, but the Kikuchi kai score is "ok". It's by no means "great" and "superb" like it felt in DBZ, and Cell saga music during the Saiyan arc annoyed me >_>

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:56 am

I still can't believe that edited OP is shorter than the Nicktoons one. That's just silly, especially if you consider the time slot differences and how that would affect amount of ad time necessary.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:25 pm

Daisetsu wrote:Toonami's being kinda inconsistent with their cuts. First episode had the full opening, full ending (& uncropped), no eyecatches, and no preview. Oh, and Yamamoto. Second and third episodes have Kikuchi, edited OP, edited ED (& cropped/zoomed in), no eyecatches, and no preview. Fourth, is the same as 2 and 3 but now includes the eyecatches.
I think the situation with the first episode getting the full opening and ending was only because it was the first episode. They seem to have started doing this recently where the first episode of a new show will get its full opening, but then subsequent episodes get a shortened opening (previously it'd be a shortened opening from the start). This also happened when they started showing Gurren Lagann a few months ago.

As for the eyecatchers, we'll have to wait and see. One Piece also strangely got its eyecatchers last night for the first time in the year and a half it's been airing on Adult Swim. Could just be because Toonami had some ad time to spare since the block was being sponsored by Microsoft last night.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:46 pm

When does Kai come back on Toonami? The last time I remember that they left off with Goku going on Snake Way.
She/Her

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:When does Kai come back on Toonami? The last time I remember that they left off with Goku going on Snake Way.
Kai will return on January 3rd. The regular Toonami lineup is off for this entire month due to movie marathons.

On a related note, here's the promo they ran this past weekend for DBZ Movie 8, which is airing this Saturday at midnight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzrAmjWuyBc

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:00 am

Looks like the Double Feature footage which means we'll likely be hearing the Kikuchi score like with Movie 5.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:32 pm

New Line-Up:

1/24

11:30 – DBZ Kai

12:00 – Naruto: Shippuden

12:30 – Inuyasha the Final Act

01:00 – One Piece

01:30 – Gurren Lagann

02:00 – Deadman Wonderland

02:30 – Bleach

03:00 – Space Dandy

03:30 – Cowboy Bebop

04:00 – Ghost in the Shell

04:30 – IGPX

05:00 – Samurai Jack

1/31

11:30 – DBZ Kai

12:00 – Naruto: Shippuden

12:30 – Inuyasha the Final Act

01:00 – One Piece

01:30 – Gurren Lagann

02:00 – Deadman Wonderland

02:30 – Attack on Titan

03:00 – Bleach

03:30 – Space Dandy

04:00 – Cowboy Bebop

04:30 – Ghost in the Shell

Source
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:22 am

Kai being early is good for me. I think it will move back up to 12:00 AM once Kill La Kill is on. At least Attack on Titan is finally gone.
She/Her

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Schedule Starting 2/7 below:
12:00 - DBZ Kai
12:30 - Kill la Kill
01:00 - Naruto: Shippuden
01:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act
02:00 - Gurren Lagann
02:30 - One Piece
03:00 - Deadman Wonderland

Source
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:57 am

Son Goku wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:When does Kai come back on Toonami? The last time I remember that they left off with Goku going on Snake Way.
Kai will return on January 3rd. The regular Toonami lineup is off for this entire month due to movie marathons.

On a related note, here's the promo they ran this past weekend for DBZ Movie 8, which is airing this Saturday at midnight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzrAmjWuyBc
Seems like they aired the Blu-Ray from the double feature?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Schedule Starting 2/7 below:
12:00 - DBZ Kai
12:30 - Kill la Kill
01:00 - Naruto: Shippuden
01:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act
02:00 - Gurren Lagann
02:30 - One Piece
03:00 - Deadman Wonderland

Source
So Toonami starts at 12:00 AM now? I guess Adult Swim really needs more time slots for Family Guy huh? I miss when Adult Swim was not the Fox Animation channel since that's what AS has been for the last few years. Rick & Morty, Aqua Teen and Mike Tyson Mysteries only come on Sundays or Mondays.
She/Her

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:27 am

sangofe wrote:Seems like they aired the Blu-Ray from the double feature?
Yes, Broly aired in 16:9 with the Japanese score. I believe it was also the first time Cha-La-Head-Cha-La has played on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim (when they played the Blu-Ray Double Feature version of the first Cooler movie, it had the standard rock intro that's on all the current DBZ releases).
Hellspawn28 wrote:So Toonami starts at 12:00 AM now? I guess Adult Swim really needs more time slots for Family Guy huh? I miss when Adult Swim was not the Fox Animation channel since that's what AS has been for the last few years. Rick & Morty, Aqua Teen and Mike Tyson Mysteries only come on Sundays or Mondays.
Aqua Teen actually came back to weekdays recently. Also Rick & Morty is on Saturdays now, it's even going to be airing in the 4am slot after Toonami. (Also surprisingly, none of the post-Toonami slots will have Family Guy. It's American Dad, Rick & Morty, Robot Chicken, and an hour of King of the Hill.)

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:56 am

Son Goku wrote:
Yes, Broly aired in 16:9 with the Japanese score. I believe it was also the first time Cha-La-Head-Cha-La has played on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim
That's really cool. I wonder how many old/uninformed fans were confused/angry.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:16 am

FatNagger69 wrote:
Son Goku wrote:
Yes, Broly aired in 16:9 with the Japanese score. I believe it was also the first time Cha-La-Head-Cha-La has played on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim
That's really cool. I wonder how many old/uninformed fans were confused/angry.
None? seriously it's 2015, not 2003 anymore, most fans (casual or not) have at least seen clips of the Japanese version (even the 12 year old Youtube fans have) and the FUNi Kai dub as well which is basically the Japanese version...But in English. It's no secret the show is Japanese anymore. I also don't see how anyone could be "angry" at the JPN music being used, except for perhaps the more hardcore Faulconer fans who usually tend to despise it with a passion.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub