DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Post by Kid Buu » Sat May 24, 2014 7:43 pm

As said on their tumblr, Kai will be airing in the fall.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Re: DBZ Kai coming to Toonami

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat May 24, 2014 7:46 pm

The hype is now real!
Better off with Toonami than Nicktoons in my opinion since it'll be airing uncensored.
But I wonder if Nicktoons will air it censored and Toonami uncensored...hmm.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:48 pm

I lost...

LOL.

I was hoping that Nicktoons would show it and get mega ratings again. I guess its better off on Toonami after all.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Further confirmation via Anime News Network

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ock/.74885
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat May 24, 2014 8:02 pm

No reason not to air it uncut now...

This is good news for CN at least, their ratings should do well, naturally.

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll air the Buu arc episodes first and garner the best chance for new viewership since the older Kai episodes have already been seen on multiple networks. "World Premiere." That sort of thing...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat May 24, 2014 8:09 pm

This show will air in Canada one day ...

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I lost...

LOL.

I was hoping that Nicktoons would show it and get mega ratings again. I guess its better off on Toonami after all.
I dunno. If it's airing at 3AM that's no better than Nicktoons.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:This show will air in Canada one day ...

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I lost...

LOL.

I dunno. If it's airing at 3AM that's no better than Nicktoons.
Lol bro Canada hates anime now. Like look at ytv they barely show any anime shows anymore and it fucking sucks.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Oh wow. That's surprising. o_O

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat May 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Awesome. As I've said when this has been asked about elsewhere, better this than re-airing the bad old DBZ dub.

Now I'll finally get to watch all the English-dubbed Androids/Cell arc episodes I haven't managed to pick up the DVDs for yet.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Fantastic! I hope the ratings lead to an earlier Saturday timeslot for Toonami.

This might also have played a part in them (potentially) using the Kikuchi BGM for their airing of "Cooler's Revenge".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat May 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Oh my god...
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat May 24, 2014 9:34 pm

Wow. I honestly did not see this coming. Cool!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat May 24, 2014 9:36 pm

I can finally die happy. Maybe it'll replace Attack on Titan once it wraps up since they're both Funimation shows.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 pm

FINALLY! Hopefully when people see it Uncut (I'm assuming), it'll gain a little more respect and hopefully more fans.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:53 pm

I hope it's on 11:00. I don't want it to be on 3:00 AM or later. Sorry, but I do go to bed around that time since I have work to do.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat May 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope it's on 11:00. I don't want it to be on 3:00 AM or later. Sorry, but I do go to bed around that time since I have work to do.
Toonami is not going to premiere a brand new (to them) show at 3AM, certainly not DBZ material. Expect it either at, or near the start of the block (Hell, if we're lucky, maybe it will premiere to a half-hour earlier start for Toonami).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:34 pm

Have it start at 11:00 PM. Adult Swim can go like this:

8:00 - 8:30 PM: King of the Hill
8:30 - 9:00 PM: American Dad
9:00 PM - 9:30 PM: Family Guy
9:30 PM - 10: PM: Black Dynamite
10: PM - 10: 30 PM: The Boondocks
10: 30 PM - 11:00 PM: The Boondocks
11-00 - 11:30 PM: Dragon Ball Kai

Attack on Titan will be over by fall. AOT will likely be move to a new time slot.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun May 25, 2014 12:40 am

Maybe Nicktoons wasn't interested in picking up the Buu arc? I can't see Toonami outbidding them otherwise. Or is my understanding of their respective clouts flawed?

Is Nicktoons even airing Dragon Ball GT anymore? I seem to recall it still being on the air not too long ago (I don't watch Cable TV very often anymore).

Kudos to Toonami for bringing Dragon Ball back to its nostalgic western home.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Sun May 25, 2014 12:49 am

ParkerAL wrote:Maybe Nicktoons wasn't interested in picking up the Buu arc? I can't see Toonami outbidding them otherwise. Or is my understanding of their respective clouts flawed?

Is Nicktoons even airing Dragon Ball GT anymore? I seem to recall it still being on the air not too long ago (I don't watch Cable TV very often anymore).

Kudos to Toonami for bringing Dragon Ball back to its nostalgic western home.
I do believe that NickToons will also be airing Dragon Ball Z Kai once the Buu Saga comes out. The Final Chapters were announced for the UK and are set to air on Kix! sometime this year and their masters were straight copies from NickToons (they even include the NickToons 3D-animated outro at the end of each episode). Besides, I'm not sure if airing Dragon Ball Z Kai on an adult-oriented network at such a late timeslot would be very successful for Funimation. We do know that edited masters are in the works for the UK audience, so clearly they are trying to promote the show more towards kids.

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Sun May 25, 2014 12:56 am

I'm definitely excited about this news.

As far as NickToons goes I could see them getting the edited version and Toonami airing the uncut version. It makes the most logical sense anyway, but then again what do I know? :lol:
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm