The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The International (/Korean) Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:53 pm

kei17 wrote:here's bad news for kenisu3000; The music placement is vastly different than that in the Japanese version.
I was sort of expecting it when I first read that the international version had a different episode count than the Japanese TV broadcast. At this point, the only thing about it that would truly upset me would be if the international version had an entirely different score that I had to get clips of and learn... and the video you linked to proved otherwise, so that's a relief.

Well OK, there is something that bugs me about this. All the talk about sloppy cuts does lead me to believe the Japanese home release is going to be different from its TV broadcast, so it is a little disheartening to think that I've been documenting the past 11 episodes for practically nothing, but... such is life. I'll still keep documenting the rest of the broadcast anyway.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:09 pm

I want to see the opening so badly! Ending too! Hasn't it Been airing? How does one cope with this starving.

Also why is this version of Fight it Out sung by the Hunter x Hunter 2011 dude??
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:33 pm

kenisu3000 wrote: I was sort of expecting it when I first read that the international version had a different episode count than the Japanese TV broadcast. At this point, the only thing about it that would truly upset me would be if the international version had an entirely different score that I had to get clips of and learn... and the video you linked to proved otherwise, so that's a relief.

Well OK, there is something that bugs me about this. All the talk about sloppy cuts does lead me to believe the Japanese home release is going to be different from its TV broadcast, so it is a little disheartening to think that I've been documenting the past 11 episodes for practically nothing, but... such is life. I'll still keep documenting the rest of the broadcast anyway.
Up until the theme song revelation, I was sure the Japanese Home Video release would contain the International Version, but now I'm not so sure. They probably want to keep their theme songs.

Maybe we can get both versions or something. That'd be cool. That'd never happen, of course.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Huh! You know, this explains to a certain extent why the visuals DO NOT match up with Kuu Zen Zetsu Go, and why they're... a bit budget. Also, I really love Masatoshi Ono from "Departure", the opening theme of Hunter X Hunter 2011. Even though he's a metal singer, I really think he could be a great pick for the series.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:26 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Huh! You know, this explains to a certain extent why the visuals DO NOT match up with Kuu Zen Zetsu Go, and why they're... a bit budget. Also, I really love Masatoshi Ono from "Departure", the opening theme of Hunter X Hunter 2011. Even though he's a metal singer, I really think he could be a great pick for the series.
I'm pretty sure those animations were done with the new theme songs in mind. Particularly the ending. I think it'll likely be a completely different animation.

"This sucks. Make more."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Huh! You know, this explains to a certain extent why the visuals DO NOT match up with Kuu Zen Zetsu Go, and why they're... a bit budget. Also, I really love Masatoshi Ono from "Departure", the opening theme of Hunter X Hunter 2011. Even though he's a metal singer, I really think he could be a great pick for the series.
I'm pretty sure those animations were done with the new theme songs in mind. Particularly the ending. I think it'll likely be a completely different animation.
We have a screenshot, and it's a shot from the Kuu Zen Zetsu Go intro.

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:
We have a screenshot, and it's a shot from the Kuu Zen Zetsu Go intro.

Oh, it did look sort of familiar, I guess. It's hard to picture another song with that animation though. It seems to have been made with Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go in mind. It's possible certain shots are similar, though. Why is the text in English, though, I wonder? And are those theme songs dubbed or in Japanese or what?

"This sucks. Make more."

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Are you asking why the text in the Korean version I'm English? It's not rare or common that Korean dubs and even original works have credits in English. It happens sometimes. Also back in Seoul and I'm guessing other districts and cities speaking English is consider Cool.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:18 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Are you asking why the text in the Korean version I'm English? It's not rare or common that Korean dubs and even original works have credits in English. It happens sometimes. Also back in Seoul and I'm guessing other districts and cities speaking English is consider Cool.
Ok, that makes sense. All the more convenient for us, I guess. It would've been nice to get the songs Japan has, but at least I know they're not recycling the previous themes as I feared. All new songs? I'm all for it, I guess. It still doesn't make an ounce of sense, however.

"This sucks. Make more."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:30 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Are you asking why the text in the Korean version I'm English? It's not rare or common that Korean dubs and even original works have credits in English. It happens sometimes. Also back in Seoul and I'm guessing other districts and cities speaking English is consider Cool.
Would you be able to ask your cousin to record the new songs? Curious to hea what these sound like.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:40 pm

Don't shoot me, I had that lying around.

So I guess we can take this as more Toei backpedaling for the Japanese version?

Serious answer, I'm actually a big fan of Fight it Out!, so this bit is fine by me.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
Serious answer, I'm actually a big fan of Fight it Out!, so this bit is fine by me.
Wait, you've heard it?

"This sucks. Make more."

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 pm

It's not the same song as what you're probably thinking of.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:44 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Would you be able to ask your cousin to record the new songs? Curious to hea what these sound like.
Sure they might be late though because timezone difference and he stay talking about the World Cup.

Let's Go Korea! Can't believe Russia tied us :evil:

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:06 am

ChibiGoku wrote:
It's not the same song as what you're probably thinking of.
I figured it was too good to be true. What was that song called?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:15 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:I figured it was too good to be true. What was that song called?
Still Fight It Out.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:30 am

드래곤 볼 Z kai fight it out
드래곤 볼 Z 카이 fight it out
드래곤 볼 Z 카이 에피소드 fight it out

I texted my cousin ElDiabetio/ SSJ4 Furankai. Timezone difference will play a factor when I get it. But for now I Google these terms. I found nothing. I got a question. Instead of tint we got a darker release. Why is it darker? Do remastering make it darker?

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:35 am

Curious, can anyone confirm who did the ending song?

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:03 am

TheGmGoken wrote:드래곤 볼 Z kai fight it out
드래곤 볼 Z 카이 fight it out
드래곤 볼 Z 카이 에피소드 fight it out

I texted my cousin ElDiabetio/ SSJ4 Furankai. Timezone difference will play a factor when I get it. But for now I Google these terms. I found nothing. I got a question. Instead of tint we got a darker release. Why is it darker? Do remastering make it darker?
Awesome! Can't wait to see how things turn out. I've tried looking on YouTube with the Korean characters, but like your result. Found nothing unfortunately.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:18 am

At this point, I want the show's production to get even more confusing. I don't care anymore. What can happen next? A sex scandal? Murder most foul? Another new composer? Let's get crazy.

This is still manageable to me. FUNi probably has the international version. I'll just buy that when they release it and then import any future soundtrack CDs and the TV version's theme song CDs from Japan. Then I should have everything minus the exclusive dialogue that Yanami and Nozawa presumably recorded for the TV version's previews and recaps. Does that cover everything so far, we think?
kenisu3000 wrote:All the talk about sloppy cuts does lead me to believe the Japanese home release is going to be different from its TV broadcast, so it is a little disheartening to think that I've been documenting the past 11 episodes for practically nothing, but... such is life. I'll still keep documenting the rest of the broadcast anyway.
I certainly wouldn't say you're doing it "for nothing." You're the only person documenting a very obscure and very effed-up part of television history. It's going to be a great resource. We're all grateful for it. :thumbup:

Anyway, I simply don't understand the complaints about the international version being a little longer. "Kai must be short! No, shorter! Even shorter! Keep cutting! Shorter! Fit the whole thing in ten episodes!" We know that the first few international episodes were severely edited down for the Japanese TV airing. They were horrible. That's not the show I want to support. Kai is cutting filler. It's closer to the manga. We're getting what we wanted, but we shouldn't have to throw proper pacing out the window to get it. That clip of the Korean-dubbed international version looked great. More background silence, better music placement, lines of dialogue that aren't being delivered back-to-back-to-back-to-back. If this is what we can look forward to, then I say "bring it on."

Can the Buu arc of the Dragon Ball manga be properly adapted in 50 episodes or less? Of course. And if they were animating it from scratch, then that's what we would be expecting. But they're working with footage that simply wasn't written or animated to move that quickly. There has to be some breathing room somewhere. It's not going to be perfect, but the first two arcs of Kai were just as horribly paced. We have nothing to lose from the series moving just a teensy bit slower.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs