The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:17 am

Dbzejo wrote:Also, which OP do you guys prefer : Fight it our or Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go ? I kinda prefered the japanese one at the beginning but Fight it out grew on me lately..
I really like Fight it Out, but the Engrish is too much for me sometimes.
Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go reminds me of Dragon Soul a bit more.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:25 am

Fight It Out is the better one for me. While KZZG does have better animation, FIO reminds me more of a DBZ song.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:12 pm

without question kuu zen zetsu go. fight it out is lame imo. kzzg is genuinely one of my favorites actually.

stynatu46

Post by stynatu46 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:08 am

This has probably been discussed already, but what exactly was cut from the original 69 into the 61 broadcast episodes? Why can't the 61 episodes be used internationally? Lastly, does this mean every dub of Kai 2.0 (including Funi's English) is going to be 69 episodes? Will it be released in Japan too or is 61 all they are doing?

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:00 am

stynatu46 wrote:This has probably been discussed already, but what exactly was cut from the original 69 into the 61 broadcast episodes? Why can't the 61 episodes be used internationally? Lastly, does this mean every dub of Kai 2.0 (including Funi's English) is going to be 69 episodes? Will it be released in Japan too or is 61 all they are doing?
We are getting the 69 episodes japan is getting the 61 episodes and from what I know most of the great saiyaman stuff was cut down and then episode 165 was cut from the Japanese broadcast they of course line up when kai started on 107 in japan
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:01 am

Naruto6583 wrote:
stynatu46 wrote:This has probably been discussed already, but what exactly was cut from the original 69 into the 61 broadcast episodes? Why can't the 61 episodes be used internationally? Lastly, does this mean every dub of Kai 2.0 (including Funi's English) is going to be 69 episodes? Will it be released in Japan too or is 61 all they are doing?
We are getting the 69 episodes japan is getting the 61 episodes and from what I know most of the great saiyaman stuff was cut down and then episode 165 was cut from the Japanese broadcast they of course line up when kai started on 107 in japan
Yep. I just hope that we get them before 2018...

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:58 pm

So how was the last batch of episodes in the international version?

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:22 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:So how was the last batch of episodes in the international version?
I haven't watched the whole series since I'm currently watching the Taiwanese dub of the final chapters, but it seemed to have a lot more filler towards the end from what people are saying

Also if anyone hasn't seen them already, here is the opening and ending for Dragon Ball Z Kai the Final Chapters with the Japanese credits. Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6tC7kQQfXc Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoohFW__w5g

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:39 am

SSGSS Goku wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:So how was the last batch of episodes in the international version?
I haven't watched the whole series since I'm currently watching the Taiwanese dub of the final chapters, but it seemed to have a lot more filler towards the end from what people are saying

Also if anyone hasn't seen them already, here is the opening and ending for Dragon Ball Z Kai the Final Chapters with the Japanese credits. Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6tC7kQQfXc Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoohFW__w5g
Not a lot more filler... Just one more episode.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:43 am

Puto wrote:
SSGSS Goku wrote:

Not a lot more filler... Just one more episode.
Really, I thought someone said it was 2 episodes, but if not I guess it's not that bad

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:34 pm

I found this on JASRAC: Apparently, there are alternative japanese names for the OST tracks, some of them are longer:

And the wrongly typed track called ''Gohan Vs Trunks'', is corrected here:

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:22 am

danielsan_190196 wrote:I found this on JASRAC: Apparently, there are alternative japanese names for the OST tracks, some of them are longer:
Does this indicate that the soundtrack will be released in Japan eventually? Are there any new titles that haven't been released on the international OST yet? Some of the music is really fantastic (such as Goku's theme), more enjoyable than a lot of the other DB composers work, but unfortunately most of it is generally bad.

I still like them attempt to release it, I think to this day there hasn't been a 'complete' OST for any of the series Japanese BGM, that includes DB, DBZ, DBGT or DBKai. They could at least release all of 2.0 Final Chapters OST complete via MP3 distribution services, it's 2015 and no one really expects a physical release.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:25 pm

danielsan_190196 wrote:I found this on JASRAC: Apparently, there are alternative japanese names for the OST tracks, some of them are longer:

And the wrongly typed track called ''Gohan Vs Trunks'', is corrected here:

I had actually found these a few weeks ago to see if there were any unreleased track titles to be found on Jasrac. All I found was the tracks that were on the French soundtrack.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:33 pm

I uploaded an HD version of the opening and ending with Japanese credits if anyone wants to see:
Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQBI8A0d8Fo
Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZqK7fB9ULs

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Is Secrets of the Terrible Majin - The Man Behind the Curtain Appears!! the first unedited episode of the Japanese broadcast?
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:32 pm

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:Is Secrets of the Terrible Majin - The Man Behind the Curtain Appears!! the first unedited episode of the Japanese broadcast?
That one is episode 107, so yeah, that episode is unedited. From episode 107 to 156, with the exceptions of opening and endings, are exactly the same as episode 114-163 of The Final Chapters. Episode 157 of the Japanese broadcast has cut off like 5 seconds so that they could put in the ''Goku summoning Shenron to remove Buu from everyone's memory'' scene. That scene occurs in episode 165 in TFC. Episode 158 and 159 match episode 166 and 167 of TFC.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:19 am

Darkblade1995 wrote:
SSJ Electric Fury wrote:Is Secrets of the Terrible Majin - The Man Behind the Curtain Appears!! the first unedited episode of the Japanese broadcast?
That one is episode 107, so yeah, that episode is unedited. From episode 107 to 156, with the exceptions of opening and endings, are exactly the same as episode 114-163 of The Final Chapters. Episode 157 of the Japanese broadcast has cut off like 5 seconds so that they could put in the ''Goku summoning Shenron to remove Buu from everyone's memory'' scene. That scene occurs in episode 165 in TFC. Episode 158 and 159 match episode 166 and 167 of TFC.
I wish Japan showed all of the 69 episodes. That would give them time for Super so maybe we wouldn't have to watch retelling of the movies.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:55 am

I would like to know the exact reasons why they switched the episode count, did they really plan on airing all 69 episodes from the start? ROF's release date, Digimon Tri delay (perhaps switched from a TV series to OVAS) and a very rushed production on Super, we'll not know the exact reasoning. What we do know is that all 69 of those episodes were already dubbed in Japanese.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:37 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:I would like to know the exact reasons why they switched the episode count, did they really plan on airing all 69 episodes from the start? ROF's release date, Digimon Tri delay (perhaps switched from a TV series to OVAS) and a very rushed production on Super, we'll not know the exact reasoning. What we do know is that all 69 of those episodes were already dubbed in Japanese.
I believe the initial plan was to further reduce "The Final Chapters" to around half of the Buu Arc. But the plans changed when they had nothing to replace Kai with, and so decided to stop cutting at the end of the World Tournament Arc, and air it as it was (with the exception of the entire filler episode towards the end).

Nozawa mentioned the episode count from Z's Buu Arc being halved-this was later deleted from the article-possibly meaning the VA's hadn't been kept in the loop about the decision not to continue cutting.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:45 pm

This is conjecture, but IMO the most likely explanation for them fiddling with the episode count is that they only intended the Japanese broadcast to be a timeslot filler until they could start airing Super. They projected that they would need X number of weeks to get the first episodes of Super into an broadcast-able state, and that number was less than 69, so they made the necessary cuts to trim the Buu Kai episode count down to match what they thought they needed.

It's easy to say now that they should've just broadcast all 69 episodes to give Super more production time (including giving Toriyama more time to work on Universe 6), but that's hindsight, and Toei obviously didn't foresee any of Super's production problems over a year ago they made the decision to cut down Kai's episode count.