For those that own Madman's release of Part 1 on DVD...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

For those that own Madman's release of Part 1 on DVD...

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:02 am

...do your eye-catches look like this? I know I made a thread about this years ago, but now I've finally gotten around to throwing in a screenshot. :P
This has bothered me since I bought it four years ago (for $66!). All of the eye-catches on this set, save for one or two, have this. Anyone know why they turned out this way? Was it just the first run of copies (of Part 1) that had this? As far as I know, this hasn't happened to any further releases. I own Parts 5 and 6 on DVD and they're both fine.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: For those that own Madman's release of Part 1 on DVD...

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:45 am

That's some terrible jaggies. Probably some fuck up during their NTSC to PAL conversion. Should have got the Blu-Rays, they certainly don't have that issue ;)

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:03 am

LordCrumb wrote:That's some terrible jaggies. Probably some fuck up during their NTSC to PAL conversion. Should have got the Blu-Rays, they certainly don't have that issue ;)
Funny story about that. Way back in 2010, I went out after school intending to pick up the Blu-Ray, but at first glance I couldn't find it. The DVD was what caught my eye first and with, for some reason, a rather hefty price of $66 (subsequent releases weren't even close to being this much) I thought the Blu-Ray's price would only be higher so I grabbed the DVD and didn't bother looking any further for it. Fast forward a few months, and after the experience with the eye-catches I decided to start picking up the Blu-Rays with Parts 2 &. 3...then Yamamoto happened. Part 4 got pushed back over here, and because of the whole 'region' nonsense I imported the DVD from the US, knowing that it would retain the "original" score. Part 5 rolls around and our PS3 (our only Blu-Ray player) has died. I was able to obtain the DVDs for only $35 at this point, so the trend set by Part 4 continued. I bought Part 6 soon after, and then received it as a gift again about a year later. My Kai collection is still unfinished, but I plan on importing the 'Season' 4 box before the year is over to finish it all off. And then there's the Buu arc. Fuck it.

Dragon Ball Kai, folks. Simply a mess for everyone involved.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:35 am

I sold my Kai volumes a while back, but I certainly don't remember my Part 1 DVD looking THAT bad!

Could possibly be an isolated incident.

What program did you use to capture the screenshot? Are you sure you don't have any settings turned on that might be causing this? Looks almost like a heavy sharpening effect was added on.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:48 am

It actually looks like really bad deinterlacing was involved.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:41 am

Gonstead wrote:I sold my Kai volumes a while back, but I certainly don't remember my Part 1 DVD looking THAT bad!

What program did you use to capture the screenshot? Are you sure you don't have any settings turned on that might be causing this? Looks almost like a heavy sharpening effect was added on
Good question. I know I used to have terrible trouble playing DVDs in PowerDVD. It could never de-interlace them properly.. took me ages to figure out how to fix it.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:41 am

LordCrumb wrote:
Gonstead wrote:I sold my Kai volumes a while back, but I certainly don't remember my Part 1 DVD looking THAT bad!

What program did you use to capture the screenshot? Are you sure you don't have any settings turned on that might be causing this? Looks almost like a heavy sharpening effect was added on
Good question. I know I used to have terrible trouble playing DVDs in PowerDVD. It could never de-interlace them properly.. took me ages to figure out how to fix it.
I just used the screenshot tool on VLC.

Trust me, it looks this way on everything I've watched it on. I think there is one set if eye-catches that looks normal, but the rest all have this problem. I can take more screenshots if you like.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:39 am

Yep, mine had the same problem. Although, I don't remember it being THAT bad.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:55 pm

If this is how Madman's Dragon Ball Z Kai release on DVD looks like then it's for the best that Manga UK never releases it in the UK (they'd use the Madman version because they've already took care of the PAL conversion). Unless, they'd release the Blu-rays so there wouldn't be visual issues such as this but the soundtrack would still've been downgraded (like it is on all now).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 am

It is for this exact reason I refuse to purchase any DVDs from Madman, I have wasted hundreds of dollars on titles that are competently encoded in North America, but upon reaching Australian shores receive fiercely incompetent Pal conversions.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:56 am

Well, I found the Saga Sets by Madman to be quite good in terms of picture quality and such (though they really messed up on three episodes, 1x English title screen, 1x Dubtitles, 1x Episode is switched to a different one on its 2nd portion). And same goes for Soul Eater, it was like that "it's so good that I don't even need the HD version".
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Wow, that is horrible. Did you try Media Player Classic as well in case?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:33 am

BluezaBladeNZ wrote:Wow, that is horrible. Did you try Media Player Classic as well in case?
I haven't, but I'm 99.9% sure that it's got nothing to do with the media player. This how it looks up on the TV, etc. Some eye-catches may look better than others, but there's at least one that looks perfectly normal. I can take screenshots from the regular episodes along with the opening and closing if you want. I have no idea how they compare to the US release.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:21 am

One of the reasons why I'm very anti-PAL for any form of media. Stuff like this happens. I continued to rely on NTSC for games and DVDs even after moving to Sweden.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:41 am

Valerius Dover wrote:One of the reasons why I'm very anti-PAL for any form of media. Stuff like this happens. I continued to rely on NTSC for games and DVDs even after moving to Sweden.
This stopped being an issue by the 7th generation and honestly I couldn't be bothered to import games due to the extra fees and I'd have to either buy a damn NTSC region console or hack (while losing the rights to online play and online services).
Wow, that is horrible. Did you try Media Player Classic as well in case?
The end result is still the same.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:54 am

Valerius Dover wrote:One of the reasons why I'm very anti-PAL for any form of media. Stuff like this happens. I continued to rely on NTSC for games and DVDs even after moving to Sweden.
PAL and games stopped being a problem ages ago, after PAL60 became a thing.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:38 am

Ah Madman and PAL debates my kinda thing. Yeah I remember the Madman DVD's for Kai being pretty bad on the eyecatches Blu-ray is no problem. Madman annoy me sometimes their way of business is lackluster. Lack of DVD/Blu-ray combo packs, Expensive releases ETC. At least we get Aniplex releases cheap like Madoka Magica and Kill la Kill. I import my anime if I can but Funi and other region locking Blu-ray makes it for stuff like One Piece, Hellsing and Battle of Gods.
As for how I bought Kai I bought Parts 1 & 2 on DVD before moving to Blu-ray for part 3 and imported part 4 cause I love the Yamamoto score. Then I stopped but I bought the entire show in the complete collection. I only watch Kai from Raditz to Frezza before moving to regular Z for Cell to Buu. Just how I watch the show.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/