"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:He's a fallen warrior proud of his heritage who wants to see the genocidal monster who wiped out his race defeated by the last of his race.
I like how at the end it was Vegeta's son, King Vegeta's grandson who ended up killing Freeza. it felt more fitting for a Saiyan with Vegetas' blood to be the one to end him. He avenged his father, the king and the Saiyan race and planet.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:31 pm

sintzu wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:He's a fallen warrior proud of his heritage who wants to see the genocidal monster who wiped out his race defeated by the last of his race.
I like how at the end it was Vegeta's son, King Vegeta's grandson who ended up killing Freeza. it felt more fitting for a Saiyan with Vegetas' blood to be the one to end him. He avenged his father, the king and the Saiyan race and planet.
Until Freeza came back and Goku stole the kill.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote: Until Freeza came back and Goku stole the kill.
Shhhh, we don't talk about that :mrgreen:

For real tho, forget you Goku.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
Avenged from what exactly? Planet Vegeta and the Saiyans deserved erasing. Vegeta deserved to die. Freeza did them all a favour in doing it when he did, as we know from Beerus there was a noose hanging around planet Vegeta anyway.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:Until Freeza came back and Goku stole the kill.
I was talking within the contex of the original story.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Avenged from what exactly? Planet Vegeta and the Saiyans deserved erasing. Vegeta deserved to die. Freeza did them all a favour in doing it when he did, as we know from Beerus there was a noose hanging around planet Vegeta anyway.
"Avenge" doesn't have moral connotations, Beerus' involvement doesn't change the situation either. Granted, what Trunks did wasn't avenging anything, regardless.
Retired.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:59 am

Anyone gonna talk about last nights episode? Personally for me, i'm loving this dub. The arc really starts to unfold starting with the next few episodes, but man is it going to be rough seeing Videl's fight with Spopovich again. :crazy:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:01 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Anyone gonna talk about last nights episode? Personally for me, i'm loving this dub. The arc really starts to unfold starting with the next few episodes, but man is it going to be rough seeing Videl's fight with Spopovich again. :crazy:
I love this arc as a whole, the dub, the story, the characters, the production, etc. are all great. :thumbup:

The only problem is that it makes Super look worse than it is. :cry:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:28 pm

sintzu wrote:The only problem is that it makes Super look worse than it is. :cry:
All depends on which parts of Super you're talking about, really.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Scsigs wrote:
sintzu wrote:The only problem is that it makes Super look worse than it is. :cry:
Most of it. I like Super for what it is but there's no denying that Kai (Saiyan-Buu) is leagues ahead of it in every aspect. The differences are bigger when you watch them back to back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:41 pm

sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Most of it. I like Super for what it is but there's no denying that Kai (Saiyan-Buu) is leagues ahead of it in every aspect. The differences are bigger when you watch them back to back.
I've been watching them back to back for 12 weeks now, the only differences I spot is that the animation and art is more inconsistent then Kai. Music overall is better in Super, so far we've already come across problems in the Buu arc that would be completely blown up if in Super, how nonchalant Goku is acting barely interacting with Goten. How Trunks and Goten were able to go SS has been swept under the rug, how Vegeta hasn't known his Son can go SS, how blind and dumb Videl is to not have caught on yet, Goku and the others should be able to know Goten and Trunks are Mighty Mask etc etc and we haven't even gotten to the main start of the arc yet.

If anything watching Kai alongside Super has shown me how poorly written Z can be too.

(I love the Buu saga btw and I do like Super but there's no denying that the Buu saga has it's share of problems as well).

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Episode 13/111's dub title is:

An Eerie Entity! Who Exactly is Spopovitch?

Source: http://tv.twcc.com/listings/cartoon-network#02-Apr-2017
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Curiously, what's the "most accurate" way (to the original version) to spell "Spopovitch"?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Curiously, what's the "most accurate" way (to the original version) to spell "Spopovitch"?
Well, the straight romanization of "スポポビッチ" is "Supopobitchi". "Spopovitch" looks to be pretty accurate.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:The straight romanization of "スポポビッチ" is "Supopobitch". "Spopovitch" looks to be pretty accurate.
It's also more kid friendly. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:47 am

They really upped the creepy Shin factor this episode, the dubbed voice works especially well here. Shame how Shin ends up but at least we have Zamasu.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote: All depends on which parts of Super you're talking about, really.
I've been watching them back to back for 12 weeks now, the only differences I spot is that the animation and art is more inconsistent then Kai. Music overall is better in Super, so far we've already come across problems in the Buu arc that would be completely blown up if in Super, how nonchalant Goku is acting barely interacting with Goten. How Trunks and Goten were able to go SS has been swept under the rug, how Vegeta hasn't known his Son can go SS, how blind and dumb Videl is to not have caught on yet, Goku and the others should be able to know Goten and Trunks are Mighty Mask etc etc and we haven't even gotten to the main start of the arc yet.

If anything watching Kai alongside Super has shown me how poorly written Z can be too.

(I love the Buu saga btw and I do like Super but there's no denying that the Buu saga has it's share of problems as well).
Watching them back to back is what makes it worse for me as well. It's incredibly obvious the story direction is completely different.

Some blatant examples are when its stated that the matches will begin at 1:40. Goku immediately comments "That's an odd time". Then they announce the drawings are at 1:30, to which Goku comments without hesitation that this gives him 20 mins. Indicating he's able to do basic math and tell time with relative ease. Which is really an unfortunate contrast to watching Goku count to 6 using fingers in Super... But anyway the tense is top notch. The aura and presentation of Kaioshin is executed incredibly well. Like I said, I never get tired of watching detective Goku. Seeing him and Piccolo chat back and forth about kaioshin re-instilled the confidence I had in Goku when I was younger.

But if we want to go point for point on the critiques, I'll oblige.

-"how nonchalant Goku is acting barely interacting with Goten" There was nothing nonchalant about Goku's interactions with Goten. Goku seemed incredibly happy to see his son and repeated commented and looked forward to his rounds. He cheered him on constantly. It was actually very refreshing to see Goku take pleasure in sitting back and watching someone else fight, something he actually commonly does.

-"How Trunks and Goten were able to go SS has been swept under the rug, how Vegeta hasn't known his Son can go SS" In universe everyone is just as shocked as we are. Not a single person in-universe acts as if its normal or unexpected. Further they question it it, in universe because it is unbelievable. There was absolutely no rug sweeping, in fact Vegeta's first question for Trunks is can Goten go SSJ too? As far as Vegeta not knowing. He admits in the same arc he hasn't even held him once, it's not far fetched to think he would know this. Especially when Goten and Trunks assume its a pretty natural thing to do.

-"how blind and dumb Videl is to not have caught on yet" So the context of this is that the entire world says that her father is the strongest man in the world who actually saved the world a few years back. She had the sense to suspect Gohan and track him down, but Gohan convinces her he's not the "Golden Warrior", she had been looking for by eventually unmasking himself as the Great Saiyaman. In her mind, Gohan has already unmasked himself so she doesn't need to further pursue it. But, she often makes comments questioning something krillin or Piccolo or one of the other just said. She also misses the Goten/Trunks fight which would have further tipped her off.

-"Goku and the others should be able to know Goten and Trunks are Mighty Mask etc" This is no different than the Monaka/ Beerus get-up its a gag. And everyone thought something was off about Mighty Mask, even Goku. Its a bit different than because Goku specifically states. "Hey Monoka, you got a lot bigger and your ki feels just like Beerus." Goku just looks are "Mighty Mask" from a far and says man that guy's body is weird. I'm not making a complaint about the Monaka/Beerus thing just stating that it's slightly different and the Monaka costume was much more believable.

Anyway, point is the examples you use are executed differently. Even down to something like SS Rage coming out of no where, there's no in-universe question of that or the Spirit Sword, as if its just supposed to happen. In Buu Kai, when the kids go SSJ, the reactions match our own. Shock. "What is going on here?"

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:40 pm

TheMikado wrote:It was actually very refreshing to see Goku take pleasure in sitting back and watching someone else fight, something he actually commonly does.
...not anymore. Remember DB Super ep. 74 when Goku stated that watching the fighting in the Saiyaman movie bored him?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:It was actually very refreshing to see Goku take pleasure in sitting back and watching someone else fight, something he actually commonly does.
...not anymore. Remember DB Super ep. 74 when Goku stated that watching the fighting in the Saiyaman movie bored him?
Because they were staged fights, on a level way below him. He would have about as much fun watching a fight in a movie as he would watching Mr. Satan fight.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 pm

The Australian release of Final Chapters Part 1 has been announced and is up for pre-order.
https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... 123-bluray
June 7th release date.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/