"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:19 am

Man, I'm really enjoyin Piccolo this episode. Vegeta too. His reaction to Trunks winning was classic; "Shocking". Also, some of the shots in this episode really makes me miss Vegeta's older look :problem: Especially that last shot with him getting matched up with Goku.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:32 am

It's too bad Shin/Supreme Kai ended up being a (weak) ally. He really was creepy in this episode.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 am

That Supreme Kai music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxpDaULjEs) was awesome! It's so weird how some of Sumitomo's tracks are great while others (like the disco track) are entirely unfitting and cheap-sounding.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Man, this episode flew by. Can't wait to press next when the Blu-rays come out :D. Weekly wait is a lot harder for Kai then Super.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 pm

thaman91 wrote:That Supreme Kai music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxpDaULjEs) was awesome! It's so weird how some of Sumitomo's tracks are great while others (like the disco track) are entirely unfitting and cheap-sounding.
I like to think of Sumitomo's score as being half-way between Kikuchi's score and Faulconer's score; like Kikuchi's, it's got a lot of fun to it, it has modern appeal like Faulconer's does, it's usually fairly light music like Kikuchi's is, but like the Faulconer score, there were times when you wish it would just shut up.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Man this makes me pine for old DBZ so bad, and watching Detective Goku in action is WAY better than naive clueless Goku. The amount of tension in that scene was completely amplified by Gokus looks he gave Shin. In the back of your mind your thinking Goku thinks something is suspicious and you can actually almost see the gears turning as he's chatting with Piccolo. Plus I noticed Goku ca not only count but tell time as well and even thinks 1:40 is an "odd time" to start something.. sigh never change Goku.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 pm

TheMikado wrote:Man this makes me pine for old DBZ so bad, and watching Detective Goku in action is WAY better than naive clueless Goku. The amount of tension in that scene was completely amplified by Gokus looks he gave Shin. In the back of your mind your thinking Goku thinks something is suspicious and you can actually almost see the gears turning as he's chatting with Piccolo. Plus I noticed Goku ca not only count but tell time as well and even thinks 1:40 is an "odd time" to start something.. sigh never change Goku.
Right?? It's such a shame.
And I always loved how Supreme Kai gave him that creepy ass grin. That was suspicious as fuck when I was a kid.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:Man this makes me pine for old DBZ so bad, and watching Detective Goku in action is WAY better than naive clueless Goku. The amount of tension in that scene was completely amplified by Gokus looks he gave Shin. In the back of your mind your thinking Goku thinks something is suspicious and you can actually almost see the gears turning as he's chatting with Piccolo. Plus I noticed Goku ca not only count but tell time as well and even thinks 1:40 is an "odd time" to start something.. sigh never change Goku.
And I always loved how Supreme Kai gave him that creepy ass grin. That was suspicious as fuck when I was a kid.
The sad thing is, there are fans who say Super Goku is how Goku's always been written. :cry:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:24 pm

sintzu wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
The sad thing is, there are fans who say Super Goku is how Goku's always been written. :cry:
I know its unbelievable. The sad thing is I really miss detective Goku..
Also, watching this versus Super simultaneously is what the problem is, its even more bizarre when you take into account many feel this is the weakest of the final few arcs.
Goku himself feels so well rounded. He shows genuine interest in seeing both his sons as well as Vegeta's son duke it out on the tournament, however he also is excited to get to go up against Vegeta. He's like a retired football player who takes pride in this kids but also wants to experience a little of the glory himself. It feels incredibly human. Goku even noticing something is off or special about Kaioshin and staying on guard about it is even a great aspect of his character. He may have some naivety, but he is clearly a character who has grown and developed through past experience. I'm not even a Goku fan but I have a new appreciation for how natural and human Toriyama and Toei to an extent wrote Goku's character. I see why he is endearing and loved to this day. He's someone you picture yourself as, not a real hero but if it comes time to get a job done you're ready for action.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm

sintzu wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Yeah it's a shame. Those people are delusional; they blame the english dub when even people who don't watch/like the dub say there's a difference.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:58 pm

LOL! The YT comment section never fails to amuse me, there was this one comment complaining that Sean is trying to match Nozawa and the old dub is "untouchable" ... :lol:

Anyway, I was under the impression that the Buu Z dub was pretty decent but after seeing clips compared to Buu Kai there is no question that the Z dub is pretty bad.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:LOL! The YT comment section never fails to amuse me, there was this one comment complaining that Sean is trying to match Nozawa and the old dub is "untouchable" ... :lol:
Wait, seriously?! Woah, woah, woah. I'm usually aight with opinions and try my best to understand them, but this is too much. How is Sean in any way trying to "match" her? I just....what? Imma just be straight up and say it; that's just plain dumb reasoning. That's the kinda crap you really see people reaching for when they ain't able to come up with nothing else.

"Untouchable"? The original dub? I'm not even gonna go in to that.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 am

TheMikado wrote:I know its unbelievable. The sad thing is I really miss detective Goku..
Also, watching this versus Super simultaneously is what the problem is, its even more bizarre when you take into account many feel this is the weakest of the final few arcs.
Goku himself feels so well rounded. He shows genuine interest in seeing both his sons as well as Vegeta's son duke it out on the tournament, however he also is excited to get to go up against Vegeta. He's like a retired football player who takes pride in this kids but also wants to experience a little of the glory himself. It feels incredibly human. Goku even noticing something is off or special about Kaioshin and staying on guard about it is even a great aspect of his character. He may have some naivety, but he is clearly a character who has grown and developed through past experience.
I've always seen people say that Goku has no character development and was always a one-note character, but Buu-arc Goku is completely different from beginning of series child Goku. Even Goku refusing to admit he was a Saiyan at first, but then embracing it during his fight with Freeza was very good development.

So far in Super, Goku has had nothing like this, and it's especially apparent to me watching them back to back on Toonami.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:LOL! The YT comment section never fails to amuse me, there was this one comment complaining that Sean is trying to match Nozawa and the old dub is "untouchable" ... :lol:
Wait, seriously?! Woah, woah, woah. I'm usually aight with opinions and try my best to understand them, but this is too much. How is Sean in any way trying to "match" her? I just....what? Imma just be straight up and say it; that's just plain dumb reasoning. That's the kinda crap you really see people reaching for when they ain't able to come up with nothing else.

"Untouchable"? The original dub? I'm not even gonna go in to that.
Essentially what it boils down too is Goku isn't this stoic cliché Superman now and people just can't accept this Goku as the real Goku they even had the cheek to say that Nozawa and now Sean's Goku doesn't fit the character.... :lol: Worse part of all this is it was one of the top comments on the video... :|

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:13 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I know its unbelievable. The sad thing is I really miss detective Goku..
Goku himself feels so well rounded. He shows genuine interest in seeing both his sons as well as Vegeta's son duke it out on the tournament, however he also is excited to get to go up against Vegeta. He's like a retired football player who takes pride in this kids but also wants to experience a little of the glory himself. It feels incredibly human. Goku even noticing something is off or special about Kaioshin and staying on guard about it is even a great aspect of his character. He may have some naivety, but he is clearly a character who has grown and developed through past experience.
I've always seen people say that Goku has no character development and was always a one-note character, but Buu-arc Goku is completely different from beginning of series child Goku. Even Goku refusing to admit he was a Saiyan at first, but then embracing it during his fight with Freeza was very good development.

So far in Super, Goku has had nothing like this, and it's especially apparent to me watching them back to back on Toonami.
Exactly, when I first started watching Super I ended up watching the saiyan saga simultaneously to fill in the time.... That was a complete mistake. I was literally unable to enjoy Super while watching old Z at the same time. Its the same issue I'm having with watching them back to back on Toonami. I don't even watch the Super dub anymore when it comes on. I watch Buu kai and watch Super on demand a few days later if at all to make the transitions between the two easier.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:28 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:there was this one comment complaining that Sean is trying to match Nozawa
Sadly I can believe someone on YT would be dumb enough to say this.

Sean's Kai Goku sounds just like he always had the only difference now is he can voice act now. He had some of the worst line deliveries ever in the old dub
and the old dub is "untouchable" ... :lol:
Assuming the old dub means the Funi in-house dub from 1999-2003 (because that's what they're always talking about) Hahaha. With the awkward lines like "That's One Whopper of a lizard!" "Whatever turns you on!" "Ally to good. Nightmare to you!" And some of the worst line readings ever.

Just examples of why the Kai dub is superior.

Vegeta's death in the original Toonami Broadcast of Z:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XCD4PDz4JNQ

1. Sabat is doing a terrible Brian Drummond impersonation

2. Sean's line readings sound like a really bad fan dub or Hong Kong dub (did he record at home?)

3. The music offers no emotional reaction

4. I dont care if you're a dub only fan (I pretty much am too) Vegeta is out of character. Vegeta, even in the dub, would never say someone else made him who he is

And now Kai dub
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQ4vjHzb3E

1. Sean 's voice acting is terrific. Not awkward and stilted.

2. Chris Sabat has perfected his Vegeta

3. The music matched and complements what's going on!

4. Vegeta is in character! He's not blaming Freeza for his actions he's a fallen warrior proud of his heritage who wants to see the genocidal monster who wiped out his race defeated by the last of his race.

Without nostalgia, the Z dub has little offer to the Kai dub.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:there was this one comment complaining that Sean is trying to match Nozawa

Sean's Kai Goku sounds just like he always had the only difference now is he can voice act now. He had some of the worst line deliveries ever in the old dub
Assuming the old dub means the Funi in-house dub from 1999-2003 (because that's what they're always talking about) Hahaha. With the awkward lines like "That's One Whopper of a lizard!" "Whatever turns you on!" "Ally to good. Nightmare to you!" And some of the worst line readings ever.

2. Sean's line readings sound like a really bad fan dub or Hong Kong dub (did he record at home?)

4. I dont care if you're a dub only fan (I pretty much am too) Vegeta is out of character. Vegeta, even in the dub, would never say someone else made him who he is

And now Kai dub

4. Vegeta is in character! He's not blaming Freeza for his actions he's a fallen warrior proud of his heritage who wants to see the genocidal monster who wiped out his race defeated by the last of his race.

Dub isnt great at all but not worth all the hate.
What I did notice is that Goku specifically says he's going to defeat Frieza for all Saiyans he killed and all the Namekians too.
I find this interesting because I'm told Goku never cared about anyone besides his family and friends.. let alone people he never met or even the enemy race that threatened to destroy earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8211t_sZSwo

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:17 pm

TheMikado wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:

And now Kai dub

Dub isnt great at all but not worth all the hate.
What I did notice is that Goku specifically says he's going to defeat Frieza for all Saiyans he killed and all the Namekians too.
I find this interesting because I'm told Goku never cared about anyone besides his family and friends.. let alone people he never met or even the enemy race that threatened to destroy earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8211t_sZSwo
Goku usually doesn't care until the death/s have happened. Case in point happy to let Gero live after Trunks warning yet got mad when Gero started killing people.

And yes the old dub is worthy of all the hate it gets.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Even though Shin's rape face creeps me the fuck out, this comparison clip shows EXACTLY why the Kai dub was needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2WFUYTru4
Better voice acting, better scripts. Everything is just better.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs