"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:58 pm

El Diabeetus wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
El Diabeetus wrote:I'd say yes, only 'cause there's a random i in the first one that isn't in either Vegeta or Kakarot(to).
Technically, in English, the best spelling would most likely be "Vegeto," since the double t's make no sense, since "Kakarot" doesn't have it, wouldn't it? Then again, it still doesn't make sense because it doesn't have the "o" at the end either. I guess the excuse in English COULD be that they switch them around when coming up with Vegito's name after they fuse, but I don't know.
Yeah, Vegeto wouldn't be a bad approach either. I know it's not popular, but I understand why Viz did Vegerot.
Viz's Vegerot still doesn't make sense to me, Vegetto isn't Vegerotto in Japanese, Viz should have gone Veget if they truly didn't want "to" there. But of course Veget sounds just as stupid as Vegerot, it really wasn't that big of an issue to call him Vegetto, the FUNi and Westwood dubs did and rolled with it and made Viz look like the odd ones.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
El Diabeetus wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Technically, in English, the best spelling would most likely be "Vegeto," since the double t's make no sense, since "Kakarot" doesn't have it, wouldn't it? Then again, it still doesn't make sense because it doesn't have the "o" at the end either. I guess the excuse in English COULD be that they switch them around when coming up with Vegito's name after they fuse, but I don't know.
Yeah, Vegeto wouldn't be a bad approach either. I know it's not popular, but I understand why Viz did Vegerot.
Viz's Vegerot still doesn't make sense to me, Vegetto isn't Vegerotto in Japanese, Viz should have gone Veget if they truly didn't want "to" there. But of course Veget sounds just as stupid as Vegerot, it really wasn't that big of an issue to call him Vegetto, the FUNi and Westwood dubs did and rolled with it and made Viz look like the odd ones.
The thing behind it is that Viz's translators didn't want to call him "Vegetto/Vegito" because "Kakarot" isn't spelled "Kakarotto," which is just stupid, especially when FUNi allowed for "Vegito," even though THEY didn't have the ending either.
Nothing about English Dragon Ball really makes sense in places.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Either way, I'm really glad Funimation stuck with the 2 voices for Vegetto, after the rumor of him having only one voice (Schemmel doing a Sabat impression I guess.)

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:And clips of Bra/Bulla? I'm still wondering if it's "Bra" or "Bulla"
Was she ever referred to by name in EoZ? Can't remember but got a feeling she wasn't.
Probably in the credits of the last two episodes, could somebody check it out?
Last edited by simtek34 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Either way, I'm really glad Funimation stuck with the 2 voices for Vegetto, after the rumor of him having only one voice (Schemmel doing a Sabat impression I guess.)
Was that even actually ever a rumor? I only saw it on these forums for, like, a day or so before it was dropped, probably because I squashed them myself by asking Sean himself about it on Twitter & he said it was the same process as always.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 am

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Either way, I'm really glad Funimation stuck with the 2 voices for Vegetto, after the rumor of him having only one voice (Schemmel doing a Sabat impression I guess.)
Was that even actually ever a rumor? I only saw it on these forums for, like, a day or so before it was dropped, probably because I squashed them myself by asking Sean himself about it on Twitter & he said it was the same process as always.
Didn't know about that, sorry.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:42 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
It's ok. My question still remains, though.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:59 am

I'm watching the Vegetto episodes right now and...did they give him an accent?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:29 am

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Was that even actually ever a rumor? I only saw it on these forums for, like, a day or so before it was dropped, probably because I squashed them myself by asking Sean himself about it on Twitter & he said it was the same process as always.
It wasn't really a rumor, people just misinterpreted Sean's comment and Chris Sabat confirmed it was two voices shortly after anyways.

Oh yeah, and what insult does Gohan say to Buu after he beats him up? I know the infamous "retard" translation from the Z subs so I want to see what they went with in the dub.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
It wasn't really a rumor, people just misinterpreted Sean's comment and Chris Sabat confirmed it was two voices shortly after anyways.

Oh yeah, and what insult does Gohan say to Buu after he beats him up? I know the infamous "retard" translation from the Z subs so I want to see what they went with in the dub.
Apparently fool, I get them not wanting to to using retard. But would've preferred he said Dumbass or something. Fool doesn't really work for the scene when the other characters seemed shocked that Gohan said what he did. The subs have been changed to ignoramous now, for both dubbed and subbed they seemed to want to avoid using retard now.

Fool just sounds like overly literal anime translation/dub insult choice/a copout way of adapting. I think you could still do the shock factor with harsh words without necessarily using retard.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:05 am

MR.Mark wrote:I'm watching the Vegetto episodes right now and...did they give him an accent?
The voice definitely sounds somewhat different. Tbh it seems like the blended the voices together a little bit more, if that makes sense.

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am

Wasn't that one voice thing only done for the Ocean Dub of the Buu arc with Brian Drummond doing an impression of Kirby Marrow's Goku?

Android17

Post by Android17 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:45 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I'm watching the Vegetto episodes right now and...did they give him an accent?
It sounds like Sean is trying to imitate the inflection that Sabat gives to Vegeta's voice to make the two blend together a bit better.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:39 pm

It definitely sounded like Schemmel was imitating the way Sabat does his Vegeta voice, with his accent being a bit more high-class. The way they've always done Vegito's voice is that they have Sabat record the lines first, then Schemmel matches his delivery after. The reverse is what they've done for Gogeta. They do that because each character's personalities are more close to those respective characters than the other, so the more dominant personality informed the performances, with Schemmel essentially doing Sabat's Vegeta inflections in his Goku voice.
Not sure how they do it for Gotenks, but I'm assuming, for at least the last several years, it's been Edwards first, considering how busy Bailey's been.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 pm

I suggested DBZKai to Kidsclick, I hope they air both the first half and The Final Chapters. Because Super would be too rushed, and Kai would only need some dialogue and visual edits to be ready.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I suggested DBZKai to Kidsclick, I hope they air both the first half and The Final Chapters. Because Super would be too rushed, and Kai would only need some dialogue and visual edits to be ready.
Great Idea! You seem to love getting Dragon Ball on Kids networks! So you listened to what I said in the other thread? viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38986#p1331900

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Indeed I did! I'm glad you like the idea! Even if it only airs at 8 AM it will still be promoted on News Casts like the rest of the lineup. That's great exposure for the DVD's.

And besides its airing on Adult Swim. Airing on Both channels would be more awesome. And we can look forward to some quality Team Four Star jokes in the Buu arc from its broadcast edits.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Quantum-Kakarrotto wrote:
Wasn't that one voice thing only done for the Ocean Dub of the Buu arc with Brian Drummond doing an impression of Kirby Marrow's Goku?
Gotenks also had one voice in the Ocean dub, and it was Tabitha St. Germain who did the voice.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Android17 wrote:
It sounds like Sean is trying to imitate the inflection that Sabat gives to Vegeta's voice to make the two blend together a bit better.
To me it stood out alittle to much at first then it sort of settled, I guess I wasin't used to hearing him sound posh.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Did anyone else find Goku's insults to Oob hilarious at the start of the fight?