"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No they're from Japan & Toei.

From their response to the BDs:
"We worked very closely with the art team at Toei Animation in Japan"
Is that right? I just assumed. It's odd that Toei would provide an artist. Oh well, same thing anyhow.
Toei has a thing with their licensees where they provide the art for DVD & Blu-Ray covers that they use. It's the same thing with One Piece & Shout! Factory's Super Sentai DVDs. They get the pictures from Toei & design their covers around them. It's a usual practice they invoke.
Last edited by Scsigs on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No they're from Japan & Toei.

From their response to the BDs:
"We worked very closely with the art team at Toei Animation in Japan"
Is that right? I just assumed. It's odd that Toei would provide an artist. Oh well, same thing anyhow.
Toei has a thing with their licensees where they provide the art for DVD & Blu-Ray covers that they use. It's the same thing with One Piece & Shout! Factory's Super Sentai Blu-Rays. They get the pictures from Toei & design their covers around them. It's a usual practice they invoke.
I had no idea. Oh well, I like them either way.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Is that right? I just assumed. It's odd that Toei would provide an artist. Oh well, same thing anyhow.
Toei has a thing with their licensees where they provide the art for DVD & Blu-Ray covers that they use. It's the same thing with One Piece & Shout! Factory's Super Sentai DVDs. They get the pictures from Toei & design their covers around them. It's a usual practice they invoke.
Yeah. I seem to remember hearing when the Z Blu-Rays started coming out that they got one of Toei's artists to design the covers for them. If it's the same person, that doesn't surprise me. Though they do seem to be going a more minimalistic route with these than those.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Yeah. I seem to remember hearing when the Z Blu-Rays started coming out that they got one of Toei's artists to design the covers for them. If it's the same person, that doesn't surprise me. Though they do seem to be going a more minimalistic route with these than those.
It definitely is the same person, just compare the faces, angles, etc. The minimalist style is just mimicking the old Kai covers.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Here's how it's looking for April & May, based on what I intend to preorder when available on Amazon. Also, some non DB stuff.
4/25/17: Kai TFC Part 1 & Gekisou Sentai Carranger
5/2/17 One Piece Film: Gold & the Gold TV Special & DB Super Manga Vol. 1
5/23/17: Kai TFC Part 2 & One Piece Collection 19
Looks like I'll be broke for the next several months.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Scsigs wrote:Here's how it's looking for April & May, based on what I intend to preorder when available on Amazon. Also, some non DB stuff.
Speaking of non-DB stuff FUNi still haven't solicited Fairy Tail Zero and it is starting to bug the hell out of me (last part came out in December)... It is the final part of the series too... They have also Simuldubbed it aswell... :problem: I don't think their long running have ever had a consistent schedule, FUNi once released two Fairy Tail parts in one month on the same day!

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Is that right? I just assumed. It's odd that Toei would provide an artist. Oh well, same thing anyhow.
Toei has a thing with their licensees where they provide the art for DVD & Blu-Ray covers that they use. It's the same thing with One Piece & Shout! Factory's Super Sentai Blu-Rays. They get the pictures from Toei & design their covers around them. It's a usual practice they invoke.
The One Piece Podcast actually did a video interview where they explain the creation process for the DVD covers, if anyone's interested in watching that (obviously the interview is focused on One Piece, but I'm sure they go through the same steps for DB covers - all the relevant info is in the first two minutes if you don't want to watch the whole thing).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Here's how it's looking for April & May, based on what I intend to preorder when available on Amazon. Also, some non DB stuff.
Speaking of non-DB stuff FUNi still haven't solicited Fairy Tail Zero and it is starting to bug the hell out of me (last part came out in December)... It is the final part of the series too... They have also Simuldubbed it aswell... :problem: I don't think their long running have ever had a consistent schedule, FUNi once released two Fairy Tail parts in one month on the same day!
Isn't the anime just on another hiatus until the manga gets reasonably ahead?

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Scsigs wrote:Isn't the anime just on another hiatus until the manga gets reasonably ahead?
From what I've heard, yes. I've also heard that the Mashima doesn't like the animation studio and is looking for a new one.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:This is unrelated to Kai but can you use multiple gift cards (like Visa ones) on FUNi's site? Because I want to pre order Film Gold and Heart of Gold.
No, since to them, it would just look like you're trying to charge two different credit/debit cards. If the cards have enough on their own, you could just order Film: Gold and Heart of Gold seperately.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Also, when does RightStuf usually list new FUNi stuff once they're announced?
Typically very quickly, a couple days before Amazon. In fact, I just checked and they're already there!

Hot damn, once this is all up on Amazon my pre-orders will be up from $200 to over $300 :crazy:
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Isn't the anime just on another hiatus until the manga gets reasonably ahead?
Probably. A new anime project was announced pretty much as soon as the 2014 anime ended...though it's entirely possible that could have been referring to the second anime film that's coming out this year. Even if that is the case, Kodansha seems a lot less stingy about renewing anime adaptations of their properties than Shueisha is, so it'll probably happen eventually (though they'll probably wait until the current manga arc ends, since it's somewhat likely to be the final one).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:Hot damn, once this is all up on Amazon my pre-orders will be up from $200 to over $300 :crazy:
I really wish Amazon would lower the price of Kai TFC Part 1 already. Best Buy's got everyone beat by pricing the Blu-Ray at $30 for God's sake!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Isn't the anime just on another hiatus until the manga gets reasonably ahead?
From what I've heard, yes. I've also heard that the Mashima doesn't like the animation studio and is looking for a new one.
Manga authors get to pick the anime's studio ? isn't that the parent company's job ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 am

sintzu wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:
Manga authors get to pick the anime's studio ? isn't that the parent company's job ?
To be honest, I have no idea. This is just what I've heard. Could be a load of bullshit.

I can't seem to find anything about it, so it must've been a rumor.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:57 am

sintzu wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:
Manga authors get to pick the anime's studio? isn't that the parent company's job?
I'm pretty sure the creators get a say, otherwise there'd probably be default studios the manga publishers go with. DB & One Piece are with Toei, while Bleach & Naruto are with Studio Periot, for example. It probably has to do with the tones of the stories as well. Naruto & Bleach are far more violent & bloody than One Piece & Dragon Ball usually get. Though One Piece is certainly smarter in its writing & Dragon Ball has excellently-plotted action & interesting mythos.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:22 am

I know the feeling. All of Kai could come in 3 months straight, One Piece Gold & TV Special (I don't need OP 19 as I got the Voyages) but Super could start in July.... my wallet is weeping lol.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:05 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Nah the only thing he's concerned about is VA's for the new characters he doesn't know many I think Toriyama had similar influence on DB? I heard he picked Nozawa.. ?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:15 am

It's a relief to see Funimation aren't messing around any more and are releasing it pretty quickly. Hopefully a UK release won't be too far behind.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:14 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Nah the only thing he's concerned about is VA's for the new characters he doesn't know many I think Toriyama had similar influence on DB? I heard he picked Nozawa.. ?
He picked Nozawa, Horikawa & Tanaka from what I know. he probably picked the other main characters as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:22 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Nah the only thing he's concerned about is VA's for the new characters he doesn't know many I think Toriyama had similar influence on DB? I heard he picked Nozawa.. ?
He picked Nozawa, Horikawa & Tanaka from what I know. he probably picked the other main characters as well.
I'd heard he picked Nozawa and Tanaka, first I've heard about Horikawa though. If nothing else, you'd imagine he'd also have had a hand in picking Tsuru for Bulma, since the entire series kickstarts with her and Goku.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 pm

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Dragon-Ba ... -2-Blu-ray $38.49 on Rightstuf, pretty fantastic deal imo.
Also it seems the DVD only versions have no extra's.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I'd heard he picked Nozawa and Tanaka, first I've heard about Horikawa though. If nothing else, you'd imagine he'd also have had a hand in picking Tsuru for Bulma, since the entire series kickstarts with her and Goku.
I wonder if he has any say in these Super characters too.