"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Naruto6583 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:00 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Wow, Sabat was powerful in this speech compared to the one in Z. It's amazing how he improved so much since his work on Z and GT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry9O6acbfSI (it starts at 4:32)
There are yet more reused Z dub lines in that scene.

At least they accurately translated "hang in there Kakarot! You are number one!"
I'm pretty sure the audio was recycled from the original kai, specifically episode 12, 13 and 31
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Hey, guys. I wanted to post this right before I went to work, so I won't be able to respond for several hours, but I am going to be doing my own fan project to edit Dragon Box footage of Z to the Kai dub. I'm just having a problem finding Blu-Ray masters for the first 98 episodes & episodes 99-112 for the audio, so if anyone can send me a link to find them, I'd be much obliged. I mainly want the openings, endings, eye catches, & audio from them, since I own the home releases, but can't rip them because I don't have the available tech, so I'd love to get them from someone if I can. I can maybe find some of these online, but I want a surefire way of having them on my hard drives.
Anyways, I quickly edited together this quick clip of the TFS version of the Cell Games reenactment to Dragon Box footage. Let me know what yu guys think. I may have gotten some of the timings on the parts of the clip wrong for the footage, but I think it turned out really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoXsxQskEng
Thanks for any feedback, guys. I might make a whole thread for this if I want more consistent feedback.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Commenting on the video would probably be the best way of communication.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Wow, Sabat was powerful in this speech compared to the one in Z. It's amazing how he improved so much since his work on Z and GT.

At least they accurately translated "hang in there Kakarot! You are number one!"
I'm pretty sure the audio was recycled from the original kai, specifically episode 12, 13 and 31
It was,but it works as Sabat's kai Vegeta performance is pretty consistent throughout.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:

The flashbacks contained if not the original Kai recordings, then the same lines, which is fine. I'm referring to the dialog Vegeta has in his monologue, which contains quite a few of the same lines that he spoke in the Z version.

Here is a sample of Vegeta's dialog between the two versions. The completely different lines I omitted. These are lines that are the same, or are slightly altered:
Z:
"You've always been like this. Ever since the day I first met you. Always ready to meet the next challenge, even if it's bigger than you are!... ...Then at last, it happened. I too transformed! After living every moment of every day for the singular purpose of surpassing you, I finally became a Super Saiyan myself! The prince had reclaimed his throne, and fulfilled his destiny!! But in the end, your power still exceeded mine... At first I thought it was your loved ones; that it was your instincts that spurred you on, and pushed you beyond your limits... ...I used to fight for the sheer pleasure of it... ...And yet, you showed mercy to everyone! Even your fiercest enemies, even me!... ...How can a Saiyan fight like that, and at the same time be so gentle that he wouldn't hurt a fly? It makes be angry just thinking about it! But, perhaps it is my anger, that has made me blind to the truth for so long. I see it now, this day has made it all too clear!"

Kai:
"You've always been like this. Ever since the day I first met you, when my conquering the frontier worlds brought me to Earth. You were always ready to meet the next challenge, even when it was bigger than you are!... ...Then at last, it happened. Fueled by my self-loathing I too transformed! After living every moment of every day for the singular purpose of reigning over you, I finally became a Super Saiyan myself! The prince had reclaimed his throne, and fulfilled his destiny!! At first I thought it was your loved ones; that it was your instincts that spurred you on, and pushed you beyond your limits... ...I used to fight for the sheer pleasure of it... ...And yet, you showed mercy to everyone! Even your fiercest enemies, even me!... ...How can a Saiyan fight with such power, and at the same time be so gentle? It makes be angry just thinking about it! But, perhaps it is my anger that has made me blind to the truth for so long. I see it now: I've fought to push down others, you fight to push yourself!"

It's like we're in Orange Brick "redone scripts" territory in this scene, with mostly reused scripts with a few words here and there changed.

Everything's still a huge improvement, but there are odd moments (and moments where the script writers take huge liberties for some odd reason, maybe they were hoping to capture some that that "Z crowd" who likes changes so that Kai would sell better?...), and that kind of holds the dub back more than it should.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Everything's still a huge improvement, but there are odd moments where the script writers take huge liberties for some odd reason, maybe they were hoping to capture some that that "Z crowd" who likes changes so that Kai would sell better ?
Z's Buu arc was already somewhat accurate and they probably knew about people complaining about Kai's episodes being close to Z's so if the dub was as well then it might've hurt sales so to avoid that they made those small changes to differenciate it more form Z. They also probably knew the "Z crowd" would never touch Kai so I doubt it was done to bring them in.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
"You've always been like this. Ever since the day I first met you. Always ready to meet the next challenge, even if it's bigger than you are!... ...Then at last, it happened. I too transformed! After living every moment of every day for the singular purpose of surpassing you, I finally became a Super Saiyan myself! The prince had reclaimed his throne, and fulfilled his destiny!! But in the end, your power still exceeded mine... At first I thought it was your loved ones; that it was your instincts that spurred you on, and pushed you beyond your limits... ...I used to fight for the sheer pleasure of it... ...And yet, you showed mercy to everyone! Even your fiercest enemies, even me!... ...How can a Saiyan fight like that, and at the same time be so gentle that he wouldn't hurt a fly? It makes be angry just thinking about it! But, perhaps it is my anger, that has made me blind to the truth for so long. I see it now, this day has made it all too clear!"

Kai:
"You've always been like this. Ever since the day I first met you, when my conquering the frontier worlds brought me to Earth. You were always ready to meet the next challenge, even when it was bigger than you are!... ...Then at last, it happened. Fueled by my self-loathing I too transformed! After living every moment of every day for the singular purpose of reigning over you, I finally became a Super Saiyan myself! The prince had reclaimed his throne, and fulfilled his destiny!! At first I thought it was your loved ones; that it was your instincts that spurred you on, and pushed you beyond your limits... ...I used to fight for the sheer pleasure of it... ...And yet, you showed mercy to everyone! Even your fiercest enemies, even me!... ...How can a Saiyan fight with such power, and at the same time be so gentle? It makes be angry just thinking about it! But, perhaps it is my anger that has made me blind to the truth for so long. I see it now: I've fought to push down others, you fight to push yourself!"
In this case it kind of reminds me of the filler scene in Kai with everyone helping Gohan against Cell, the kai script was very similar to the Z dub.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:08 pm

I don't why people constantly think any liberates or such automatically means they are trying to ponder to the Z crowd. They are not. If they were then Ayres wouldn't have come back in Resurrection "F", Doc Morgan wouldn't have come back as narrator. It just that liberties and choices nothing do to appeasing to the Z crowd because they are suddenly gonna be pro-Kai now Vegeta says "Clown" again.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't why people constantly think any liberates or such automatically means they are trying to ponder to the Z crowd. They are not. If they were then Ayres wouldn't have come back in Resurrection "F", Doc Morgan wouldn't have come back as narrator. It just that liberties and choices nothing do to appeasing to the Z crowd because they are suddenly gonna be pro-Kai now Vegeta says "Clown" again.
Exactly. People are so quick to jump at any of Funi's mistakes and think they're pandering to "Z tards" because they used a few lines from Z.
Yet in places where the Z line was a bit closer, (Majin Vegeta's pride) they change it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly. People are so quick to jump at any of Funi's mistakes and think they're pandering to "Z tards" because they used a few lines from Z.
Yet in places where the Z line was a bit closer, (Majin Vegeta's pride) they change it.
I really hope that wasn't directed towards me, because I never used that terminology.

I was just throwing around the idea that maybe since Kai was underperforming for them, that maybe they wanted to retain a lot of old dialog, and punch up their "accurate" lines in an effort to please fans of Z's dub. I wasn't at all trying to be condescending or vitriolic.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly. People are so quick to jump at any of Funi's mistakes and think they're pandering to "Z tards" because they used a few lines from Z.
I really hope that wasn't directed towards me, because I never used that terminology.

I was just throwing around the idea that maybe since Kai was underperforming for them, that maybe they wanted to retain a lot of old dialog, and punch up their "accurate" lines in an effort to please fans of Z's dub. I wasn't at all trying to be condescending or vitriolic.
Why in the hell would they want Z fans to come to Kai by using old lines? A lot of Z dub fans HATE Kai due to the more accurate lines not being what they remember from their childhoods, voice recasts, & no Bruce Falconer music & can't see Z any other way because of all of those things, despite the cast saying otherwise, FUNimation evolving as a company from when they dubbed Z, & some cast members needing to be replaced, to the point where those arguments are now absolutely moot. No Z dub fan was going to come to Kai: TFC expecting any different.
(It's also entirely possible that Sabat liked some of them & chose to retain some of them, since I think most of the lines are Vegeta lines anyways).
Also, where did you hear Kai wasn't performing well for FUNi? It didn't perform well in JAPAN, hence why it originally ended after the Cell Games & Future Trunks stuff. Toei SPECIFICALLY put TFC together because the show does WAY better overseas than in Japan & only aired it in Japan because Toriko got cancelled & they didn't wanna lose the timeslot. A lot of kids & teens nowadays are being brought up on Kai because of its better dub, better & more consistent home releases, & streamlined storyline from having the fillers cut out. On top of that, a good portion of Japanese dub fans have come around on the English dub cast. Not enough to default to English, but enough that they now respect it.

Sorry if I got extremely ranty there. I just can't stand blanket statements like that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:

It wasn't really meant to you at all. Sorry if I made it seem that way. That z tards comment was mostly in regards to what I see on youtube.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:27 am

Regardless of the reasoning, the dub's a bit disappointing to me due to the reused lines, and all of the new liberties taken. It feels more punched up than the previous Kai's dub did.

It's still infinitely better than the old dub, but it's not as good as it could have been.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyD_05a ... freload=10
Schemmel is incredible in this speech.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:13 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyD_05a ... freload=10
My god that disco track is terrible

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:18 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Yeah, I like Sumitomo, but that doesn't fit at all.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
What Disco track?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
What Disco track?
Effective Attack. The song right here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZD06f767g. This song is referred as the infamous "Disco" track of Sumitomo's Drgaon Ball Music he has scored.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:08 pm

For Goku's SSJ3 transformation scene, I replaced the soundtrack that was playing with DB Supers SSJ God/Rosé soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLbE55a ... e=youtu.be
heres the original for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_FMibSdpIU

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
What Disco track?
That track clearly heard in the clip when Vegeta is putting the earring on