"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:41 am

So, Let it Burn just made an appearance in episode 158 while SSJ2 Goku was fighting Kid Buu.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by G1Ravage » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:56 am

There's one particular Sumitomo tracks that reminds me a LOT of a particular Faulconer riff. Made me scratch my head a little and question what dub I was watching.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:09 am

Interesting tidbit. Even though Funi's original announcement for TFC credited Dameon Clarke as Cell, in the Hell scenes he's actually voiced by a VA named Jim Foronda. Foronda's biggest DB role has been as Janempa in Fusion Reborn. He also sounds nothing like Clarke's Perfect Cell.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:20 am

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Interesting tidbit. Even though Funi's original announcement for TFC credited Dameon Clarke as Cell, in the Hell scenes he's actually voiced by a VA named Jim Foronda. Foronda's biggest DB role has been as Janempa in Fusion Reborn. He also sounds nothing like Clarke's Perfect Cell.
So...they didn't get Clarke, or Travis Willingham? Weird.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:33 am

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:So, Let it Burn just made an appearance in episode 158 while SSJ2 Goku was fighting Kid Buu.
Wow! I assume if you received your set early, then! If so, do you mind sharing a clip, even if it's recorded from your phone camera? I know I'm being a bit impatient when I can just wait until Tuesday - I'm just really eager for this dub, so every sneak peek is appreciated! Plus, it's quite intriguing to hear that Let it Burn was used in the series after all!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:01 am

At this point, since the new one's out, I mainly just wanna see any scenes with Gohan in them. He's my favorite character for one and, to be honest, Kyle Hebert has been the absolute highlight for this dub by far IMO. I know he probably made Gohan sound awesome in his ultimate form.

And, IIRC, didn't Sean Schemmel say something about making Goku choke up a bit when he's saying goodbye to his son? Yeah, I know that's gonna be great.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 am

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Interesting tidbit. Even though Funi's original announcement for TFC credited Dameon Clarke as Cell, in the Hell scenes he's actually voiced by a VA named Jim Foronda. Foronda's biggest DB role has been as Janempa in Fusion Reborn. He also sounds nothing like Clarke's Perfect Cell.
Clip?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:33 am

Scsigs wrote:
Well, Willingham has a busy schedule and can likely only continue the anime roles that he originated before going union and Clarke had to use a pseudonym for the first half of Kai in order to not get in trouble with the union and can probably only do the video games now because they probably accept union and non-union actors
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:25 pm

That cast list was only for the first few episodes so because of the recap in the first episode, that's why Clarke was listed as Perfect Cell

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:54 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Well, Willingham has a busy schedule and can likely only continue the anime roles that he originated before going union and Clarke had to use a pseudonym for the first half of Kai in order to not get in trouble with the union and can probably only do the video games now because they probably accept union and non-union actors
Well, Willingham has been Cell's video game voice for years now, so I'd expect HIM to be tapped if Clarke couldn't be. Plus, he was at FUNimation over the last few years recording the One Piece dub as Ace, so you'd think they'd schedule an hour of time for him to do some Cell voice acting for Kai since Clarke couldn't.
It feels like it should've been him at the very least...or Takahata101, maybe, but then again, he DOES live in Canada, so... (Obviously joking right there, I know Toei hates TFS).

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Scsigs wrote: So...they didn't get Clarke, or Travis Willingham? Weird.
Well, Willingham has been Cell's video game voice for years now, so I'd expect HIM to be tapped if Clarke couldn't be. Plus, he was at FUNimation over the last few years recording the One Piece dub as Ace, so you'd think they'd schedule an hour of time for him to do some Cell voice acting for Kai since Clarke couldn't.
It feels like it should've been him at the very least...or Takahata101, maybe, but then again, he DOES live in Canada, so... (Obviously joking right there, I know Toei hates TFS).
Clarke has been back to voicing Cell in the games for years now and Willingham recorded for Season 8 of One Piece at Todd Haberkorn's studio in LA due to time constraints so Foronda was probably their only choice

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Well, Willingham has a busy schedule and can likely only continue the anime roles that he originated before going union and Clarke had to use a pseudonym for the first half of Kai in order to not get in trouble with the union and can probably only do the video games now because they probably accept union and non-union actors
Clarke has been back to voicing Cell in the games for years now and Willingham recorded for Season 8 of One Piece at Todd Haberkorn's studio in LA due to time constraints so Foronda was probably their only choice
Huh. You'd think that they'd quickly record there for Kai too over the phone to get it done if he really wasn't able to fly out to Texas.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Well, Willingham has been Cell's video game voice for years now, so I'd expect HIM to be tapped if Clarke couldn't be. Plus, he was at FUNimation over the last few years recording the One Piece dub as Ace, so you'd think they'd schedule an hour of time for him to do some Cell voice acting for Kai since Clarke couldn't.
Huh. You'd think that they'd quickly record there for Kai too over the phone to get it done if he really wasn't able to fly out to Texas.
As I said, he's probably only allowed by the union to reprise the anime characters that he originated the voices for and Cell isn't one of them

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Scsigs wrote: Well, Willingham has been Cell's video game voice for years now.
Actually, he was only Cell for Raging Blast 1, 2 and Ultimate Tenkaichi.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Didn't he also voice him in tenkaichi tag team?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
He might have, i never played that game to know. I forgot it existed :lol:

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
It was pretty decent, basically it was tenkaichi 3 downscaled for the psp. And had a few interesting what if's. But that's about it
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 pm

I watched the episode of TFC on Toonami the other night, and noticed the sound effects weren't messed up.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:26 am

Naruto6583 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote: Didn't he also voice him in tenkaichi tag team?
It was pretty decent, basically it was tenkaichi 3 downscaled for the psp. And had a few interesting what if's. But that's about it
It was definitely the best PSP game for sure, I didn't really like the Shin Budokai games.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I watched the episode of TFC on Toonami the other night, and noticed the sound effects weren't messed up.
Chris Sabat tweeted back at someone awhile ago that Funi was aware of the issue. Chances are they fixed it and sent the fixed batch to Toonami and plan on releasing a Kai TFC "season set" sometime in the future that will have the corrected audio.