"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:And clips of Bra/Bulla? I'm still wondering if it's "Bra" or "Bulla"
Was she ever referred to by name in EoZ? Can't remember but got a feeling she wasn't.
Probably in the credits of the last two episodes, could somebody check it out?
She's credited as "Bulla" in the last episode. It's interesting that they kept "Buu" but went with the "Oob" spelling.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Was she ever referred to by name in EoZ? Can't remember but got a feeling she wasn't.
Probably in the credits of the last two episodes, could somebody check it out?
She's credited as "Bulla" in the last episode. It's interesting that they kept "Buu" but went with the "Oob" spelling.
They've changed the spellings they can get away with without having to change the pronunciation, I'm guessing. Oo and Uu is the same sound, and the Vegito/Vegetto pronunciation is apparently not changed either even though they have the tt spelling now (it's a pretty tiny difference, but it should be Vegitto with a short i (ee) sound, going from the Japanese pronunciation, now), but the difference between "Bra" and "Bulla" is extremely obvious.
It is really odd that they didn't change Buu's name if they did Uub's, though. It leads to the whole "It's Buu spelled backwards!" line not working. If that line is still there, that is.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:59 am

MR.Mark wrote:To me it stood out a little to much at first then it sort of settled, I guess I wasn't used to hearing him sound posh.
I don't think it's Posh. Frieza's Posh with his newer voice. Vegito's, I would say, is just a bit more regal. It's how Sabat's Vegeta usually talks. You can even notice the inflections in Lanipator's Vegeta from TFS, since he's doing a Sabat sound-alike impression. It's meant to show he's a Prince. I think it even stems all the way back to Brian Drummond's Vegeta from the Ocean dub a bit.
Here's the clip for review. It's just Schemmel doing more Sabat Vegeta inflections than Goku, even though it IS his Goku voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37lv56fzKw.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:12 am

Scsigs wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:To me it stood out a little to much at first then it sort of settled, I guess I wasn't used to hearing him sound posh.
I don't think it's Posh. Frieza's Posh with his newer voice. Vegito's, I would say, is just a bit more regal. It's how Sabat's Vegeta usually talks. You can even notice the inflections in Lanipator's Vegeta from TFS, since he's doing a Sabat sound-alike impression. It's meant to show he's a Prince. I think it even stems all the way back to Brian Drummond's Vegeta from the Ocean dub a bit.
Here's the clip for review. It's just Schemmel doing more Sabat Vegeta inflections than Goku, even though it IS his Goku voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37lv56fzKw.
While I like Drummond's Vegeta, he doesn't really sound regal, at least in the Ocean Z dubs. If Ocean Kai were to be released, then you could say that, since Drummond likely changed his voice for that dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 am

I loved that clip...but I wonder why do they use "Destroy" and "Send you back to otherworld" on an uncut dub. Oh well, one less line to edit if it ever makes it to Kidsclick lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:23 am

Scsigs wrote:
Either way it could of been more subtle. I understand what they were going for, but in the end doing impressions of each other wasin't really necessary.
When Vegetto counted down and said TWOOOOO it was particularly over the top, Sabat's Vegeta is regal, but not THAT regal.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Scsigs wrote:
That video was removed.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:40 am

Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that TOEI didn't fix the extensive filler dialogue claiming that Kid boo is the most powerful version, and then Goku outright saying it. It's the biggest inconsistency in the series by far I think.
Not to mention keeping the hell filler in with villains keeping their bodies, with the two guys there saying he fell off snake way, which was a filler they removed, or Piccolo having healing abilities like Dende.

veggiechan

Post by veggiechan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:13 pm

In a way, it's kind of relieving that this series is over. I'm glad I got to hear a much more faithful and well-dubbed English DBZ, but I'll probably never get over how much of a disappointment Kai was as a product. So much potential wasted.

From the show being a remastering instead of a complete reanimation, the censorship, the Yamamoto scandal causing 2 different soundtracks for Kai 1.0 (meaning some fans will never know how good it first sounded when they buy the poorly placed Kikuchi version), declining production quality for TFC (green tint, too much filler kept in, no 4:3 option), and the crappy Sumitomo score (with even worse placement than Faulconer's IMO).

I'm glad to hear Funi's much improved voice acting and scripting breathe new life into the series but it could've and should've had some more merits on Toei's side to really place it as a superior product to Z. I still think TFC could've been dubbed better here and there with some lines that were accurately dubbed in Z changed for no reason, and other inaccurate lines from Z being kept in, but overall a much better product. I guess the improvements are not as noticeable as the ones from the earliest episodes which were so botched on the first dubbing attempts that the plot itself had changed in ways.

At the end of the day though, I'll just view Kai as the poor bastard which will only really gain acceptance among a small portion of the English-speaking fanbase. Too bad Toei didn't give funi much to work with

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Anyone else bummed they replaced the epic BGM on the final scene (that has even been used in Super) for Flow's Cha-La-Head-Cha-La? It just isn't as fitting...

Another interesting thing to note is the Funimation dub is the only version with these insert songs used, also the only version where they have a 2nd version of the opening with Gotenks appearing. Are there any other notable differences from other versions of the international 'Final Chapters'

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:32 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:Anyone else bummed they replaced the epic BGM on the final scene (that has even been used in Super) for Flow's Cha-La-Head-Cha-La? It just isn't as fitting...

Another interesting thing to note is the Funimation dub is the only version with these insert songs used, also the only version where they have a 2nd version of the opening with Gotenks appearing. Are there any other notable differences from other versions of the international 'Final Chapters'
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Flows Cha La wasn't as fitting as the track used in every other version. While it certainly isn't bad, it just isn't as good.

For your 2nd question, the first two part of TFC where identical to the french release, with only the 3rd part having any differences, and you pointed them all out.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:44 pm

veggiechan wrote:From the show being a remastering instead of a complete reanimation...
It would've been a lot worse if they tried to reanimate it from the ground up.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:50 pm

DHM211 wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Flows Cha La wasn't as fitting as the track used in every other version. While it certainly isn't bad, it just isn't as good.
Cool! Am I the only one that thinks The Final Chapters is an awkward mix between alternate versions of BOG/ROF orchestrated tracks, stuff for Super and cheap tracks with an international audience in mind?

I hope we hear tracks not released on TFC OST in upcoming Super OSTs.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:08 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:
DHM211 wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Flows Cha La wasn't as fitting as the track used in every other version. While it certainly isn't bad, it just isn't as good.
Cool! Am I the only one that thinks The Final Chapters is an awkward mix between alternate versions of BOG/ROF orchestrated tracks, stuff for Super and cheap tracks with an international audience in mind?

TFC had the same composer as BOG and ROF, so its natural that some of the tracks would sound similar. But, a lot of BOG's tracks were reused in TFC,for the better honestly, BOG is some of Sumitomo's best Dragon Ball related music.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:34 pm

veggiechan wrote:In a way, it's kind of relieving that this series is over. I'm glad I got to hear a much more faithful and well-dubbed English DBZ, but I'll probably never get over how much of a disappointment Kai was as a product. So much potential wasted.

From the show being a remastering instead of a complete reanimation, the censorship, the Yamamoto scandal causing 2 different soundtracks for Kai 1.0 (meaning some fans will never know how good it first sounded when they buy the poorly placed Kikuchi version), declining production quality for TFC (green tint, too much filler kept in, no 4:3 option), and the crappy Sumitomo score (with even worse placement than Faulconer's IMO).
1. I don't know how well a completely reanimated version would've gone over. Some people absolutely hate how the redesigned DB characters look, with the glossy sheen they all have on them most of the time. Then again, having the show completely reanimated would've definitely provided a much-needed update of the series. Considering that Toei did start doing just that with Sailor Moon Crystal several years after Kai started, I'm surprise that they didn't do it for DB, though that might've not boded well for the Buu Saga, since that was only put together because Kai does better overseas for sales & popularity when compared to Japan & it was initially cancelled because merch sales weren't that good. Then again, some people have found faults with Crystal's pacing as a result of how they've adapted the manga, so...
2. The soundtrack replacement wasn't that bad. If you wanna blame someone for the need to change it, blame Yamamoto. He'd been ripping off others for years prior to it. I, honestly, have no problem with it being used. I have a problem with how some pieces fell into stock music for certain cues, since several pieces were used over & over, but it's not like it was a bad call. Hell, I wish Toei had used the original score from the start so we'd have the pieces correctly placed. I also wish they'd just used the Kikuchi score for TFC, seeing as the music is of 2 different styles & Sumitomo's compositions are synthy as shit & sound more like the 16-bit versions of the Falconer score from the Legacy of Goku games, with some pieces being very out of place.
3. Yeah, the forced Widescreen cropping was a shitty idea, especially since FUNi had done the same thing with the entirety of Z for their shitty Blu-Ray sets. As for the green tint, Toei's been doing that to Z for YEARS. It's especially apparent in the Dragon Boxes for Z, since the sky's teal instead of the regular blue for some reason a majority of the time. As for the filler, minus a few stray lines to pace the episodes well enough, the only ones to object to are the Hell scenes. Those shouldn't have been kept in because they make no sense at all when going on later continuity, the manga, or Kai itself not establishing what Hell was like. Hell, even a lot of the dialogue makes it make no sense because they clearly state many times that Hell is a place spirits go after they'd been purified & purged of their memories, which is contradicted directly by them showing Hell as it was in the original Z 3 times. By the time those episodes were put together, Resurrection F entered development, I'm very sure, so they have very little excuse. The only other major bit of filler is the Vegito fight still being in there from before he went Super Saiyan, but that couldn't be helped because of how it was animated.
veggiechan wrote:I'm glad to hear Funi's much improved voice acting and scripting breathe new life into the series but it could've and should've had some more merits on Toei's side to really place it as a superior product to Z. I still think TFC could've been dubbed better here and there with some lines that were accurately dubbed in Z changed for no reason, and other inaccurate lines from Z being kept in, but overall a much better product. I guess the improvements are not as noticeable as the ones from the earliest episodes which were so botched on the first dubbing attempts that the plot itself had changed in ways.
I don't think there were any lines that were inaccurate that were kept, but they could've fixed a bit of a continuity error by having one of the demons say Goku FLEW over Snake Way & not that he fell off it. Still a bit of a plothole, but not as big as the one there in the original.
veggiechan wrote:At the end of the day though, I'll just view Kai as the poor bastard which will only really gain acceptance among a small portion of the English-speaking fanbase. Too bad Toei didn't give funi much to work with
In all honesty, I don't think you're giving Kai enough credit. The future of Z will be informed by Kai, with it's accurate dub & great home releases that are leagues above the Z sets. The only sections of the fanbase that it doesn't appeal to are the nostalgia brats who HATE the "changes" made to their precious childhood shit Z dub. Younger generations are going to check out Kai because of these reasons if they care enough, which I'd like to think many of them would. Plus, there are many Japanese-only fans, & fans of the English dub actors who only wish they had better scripts (such as me), who commend Kai's dubbing as, without question, better than Z's. Kai's dub will only grow in popularity as time goes on & the only people still defending the Z dub & its inaccuracies, poor acting, terrible dialogue, etc, will be the 30-year-old nostalgia brats who will defend it till they die.
Yeah, the product could've been better at a production level, but I'd like to think that the pros outweigh the cons here. Plus, there's always fan projects to go on, like the Dragon Ball Recut project, which I'm dying to see when he finally finishes editing Z down so we have all of the footage from Z uncut, with the accurate dub as one of the audio choices, just without all of the terrible filler.
I, personally, would love to kick off a project to edit Dragon Box footage to Kai's English Dub (also to edit out those stupid Hell scenes), but the only problems I have are that I don't have much experience ripping DVDs (even then, one f the discs I have causes one of the episodes to be partially skipped over for some reason so who knows if I could even rip that one), & I can't currently rip Blu-Rays to get the Kai TFC audio, so I can't start.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm

NinjaGoku wrote:

Well, most of Super's "OST" is reused Kai TFC BGM Tracks!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Oh wow the whole SS3 transformation was handled well Sumitomo's music was on point, between this and the Super Saiyan Gods track and the new recent Golden Freeza transformation, Sumitomo's killing these transformations. When playing to his strengths Sumitomo's great.

So far this dubs been pretty great zero complaints on that side only real complaints are fron the production/Toei side. Definitely worth the wait!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Wow, Sabat was powerful in this speech compared to the one in Z. It's amazing how he improved so much since his work on Z and GT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry9O6acbfSI (it starts at 4:32)
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:28 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Wow, Sabat was powerful in this speech compared to the one in Z. It's amazing how he improved so much since his work on Z and GT.
There are yet more reused Z dub lines in that scene.

At least they accurately translated "hang in there Kakarot! You are number one!"
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:37 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Wow, Sabat was powerful in this speech compared to the one in Z. It's amazing how he improved so much since his work on Z and GT.
There are yet more reused Z dub lines in that scene.

At least they accurately translated "hang in there Kakarot! You are number one!"
Yeah, I know, but still Sabat sounds more natural in Kai.