"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:For the most part the Masayuki Uchiyama episodes still stick out like a sore thumb unfortunately.
Even with those episodes I still think the Buu arc as a whole is the best part of the anime from a production side of things.
I don't disagree. Someone on the forum broke down how long animators had each arc between episodes and Buu arc they had the longest between episodes and the Freeza arc was the shortest like 4 weeks I think and it shows the Freeza arc was definitely the worst looking of Z and Buu arc definitely the best looking.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:06 am

I dunno, there are times when certain episodes are drawn fairly well but are animated rather stiffly compared to earlier arcs.

On top of improving the pacing, there are many instances in my cut of the Buu arc where I've sped up the footage to give the illusion of smoother animation.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:17 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Someone on the forum broke down how long animators had each arc between episodes and Buu arc they had the longest between episodes and the Freeza arc was the shortest like 4 weeks I think.
Do you know why that was ? If the Saiyan arc was 5 weeks for example, why'd they bring it down with Freeza ? The only thing I can think of is that it was to provide animators and time to the movies cause that's when they started releasing 2 a year.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 am

The Buu arc definitely has the best art/animation in the whole series imo. Even Ebisawa's episodes look better(thanks to brining on a really good animator whose name I cant remember, but he mostly animated the first episode of the majin Vegeta fight). The only episodes that look bad are Uchiyama’s.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:27 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Well, IMO what I'm getting at is I would of been far happier with the Kai Buu arc had it been edited in the same style as Kai 1.0
The Kai Buu arc should of been 50 episodes at MOST, 69 was still majorly bloated.
cutting out 19 full episodes is still way too much. It would end up like the JP run where it's too fast paced.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Well, IMO what I'm getting at is I would of been far happier with the Kai Buu arc had it been edited in the same style as Kai 1.0
The Kai Buu arc should of been 50 episodes at MOST, 69 was still majorly bloated.
cutting out 19 full episodes is still way too much. It would end up like the JP run where it's too fast paced.
The only pacing problems JP Boo Kai had was the Saiyaman portion, the rest flowed at a perfectly reasonable pace. JP Kai's problems are more to do with the sub-par manner in which the show was treated. Worse music placement, haphazard sharpening filters, etc.
Retired.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:13 pm

I disagree, there's still to many flashbacks, long camera pans, and characters staring/ reacting to things that go on to long. The extended fighting filler I can handel for the most part,even though some of it contradicts the story, but the rest is just more unnecessary padding.

I mean, do you really think from the time Gotenks starts fighting Buu, until he is defeated with the Genki Dama, that those events had to take about 20 episodes to accomplish?

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:52 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I disagree, there's still to many flashbacks, long camera pans, and characters staring/ reacting to things that go on to long. The extended fighting filler I can handel for the most part,even though some of it contradicts the story, but the rest is just more unnecessary padding.

I mean, do you really think from the time Gotenks starts fighting Buu, until he is defeated with the Genki Dama, that those events had to take about 20 episodes to accomplish?
I mean in that space we have Gotenks toying around for an episode, Gotenks becoming serious in the chamber/Piccolo sealing them in, Buu escaping and killing the rest of the guys on the lookout and Gotenks showcasing super saiyan 3 then having a serious fight with buu. That's a lot to cover really for four episodes, Then Gohan stuff for like 3 episodes then Goku & Vegeta/Vegito stuff. The kid buu stuff takes up 8 episodes yeah but I never really felt there was much filler in the battle on the planet of the kais.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:09 pm

The Gotenks and Kid Buu portions really stood out especially to me, I felt it really lacked tension when it takes an entire episode just to throw that damn Genki Dama, then another episode just to struggle with it.

Gotenks taking the fight off the lookout, to the earth, then back up to the lookout was an especially boring waste of time aswell.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:49 am

Vegetto's voice is a bit different? Like he has an accent? I dunno how to describe it, but I like it! It's better then Schemmel and Sabat just speaking in their respective voices adds more to the whole one being thing.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:43 am

[quote="Baggie_Saiyan"]Vegetto's voice is a bit different? Like he has an accent? I dunno how to describe it, but I like it! It's better then Schemmel and Sabat just speaking in their respective voices adds more to the whole one being thing.[/quote]

I noticed a bit of an accent myself too. Can't quite place it though

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegetto's voice is a bit different? Like he has an accent? I dunno how to describe it, but I like it! It's better then Schemmel and Sabat just speaking in their respective voices adds more to the whole one being thing.
I like the accent. It fits Vegetto.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegetto's voice is a bit different? Like he has an accent? I dunno how to describe it, but I like it! It's better then Schemmel and Sabat just speaking in their respective voices adds more to the whole one being thing.
It's Schemmel using his Rose voice.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:20 pm

TheAldella wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Yeah now you mention it it's very reminiscent but this was well before Rosé so I guess we should start calling his XV2 Rosé voice his Vegetto voice. :P
8000 Saiyan wrote:
I like the accent. It fits Vegetto.
Definitely it is a nice touch!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:28 pm

TheAldella wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
No it's not. If you listen to it, it's him, in his Goku voice, not only matching Sabat with his delivery of the lines, but also the slight uppercrust kind of accent Sabat does for his Vegeta. Sean just did the same thing, giving it a bit more regalness to Goku's voice.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:47 pm

It's still abit over the top and cartoony at times, but other wise they are blended better this time around.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:22 am

Yeah re watching the old Z dub I like what they did here it's wayyy less annoying and they adds to Vegetto's personality.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:10 pm

Almost done with Part 3. Man the Buu arc has been such a rollercoster so many poor decisions that characters have made, literally the arc could have been stopped at so many different occasions it's pretty mind boggling but I'll be damned if this hasn't been so much fun, the dub has pretty phenomenal very little complaints such a shame it got saddled with a crap remaster and awful music placements.

It is pretty sad stuff that these sets haven't been doing well, at least according with Amazon's best selling anime. Oh well what can ya do at least for us that wanted it, it's out and we've got it probably all that should matter, I suppose.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is pretty sad stuff that these sets haven't been doing well, at least according with Amazon's best selling anime.
I think it would've done a lot better if they released it while it was airing like the 1st Kai.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:06 pm

That, and maybe not being cropped and badly edited.