"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:32 pm

That SSJ3 power up was really awesome. But it's still missing something without the Faulconer music. I'm sorry but that theme is just too good.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon May 15, 2017 7:12 pm

So thanks to Daisetsu pointing out that the issue was with the center channel of the 5.1 audio, I was able to mess around with the audio in an attempt to fix the sound issues in episodes 113 to 121. I have audio files uploaded to MEGA that you can mux into your DVDs or MKV rips. I wouldn't know how to work them into the BDs, but I'm sure the more tech savvy guys here can figure it out. I hope they sound okay!

MEGA Folder: https://mega.nz/#F!DIMmEBSK!RIQvqHnYAQfGMRgIU6MvXg
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:That SSJ3 power up was really awesome. But it's still missing something without the Faulconer music. I'm sorry but that theme is just too good.
But this is Dragon Ball for a new generation. I mean, the Faulconer score will never dissapear. I'm not saying this unkindly, I highly appreciate that you love Dragon Ball and your way of doing it is with Faulconer.

Sigh, I wish this aired SOMEWHERE kids could see it. That would truly be Dragon Ball for a new generation!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 15, 2017 9:34 pm

I love Nozawa's Goku but Sean takes it to a whole other level and I don't think I'd like Goku as much as I do if he wasn't voiced by him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 15, 2017 10:14 pm

TVfan721 wrote:Well that's not good dude. You need to control yourself better. My comment has absolutely everything to do with this thread. People are posting clips of footage, I made a comment based on one of those clips. I saw the Vegeta Sacrifice one and both him and Piccolo sound almost identical now. That's my opinion. I am not sorry for that nor am I sorry for somehow offending you.

I apologize for using the word "fucking" if that was an issue.
I didn't say it didn't belong here. If there's a place to describe the English dub voice acting, THIS is the place. Also, I think my response, while a bit snappy, was justified for what I was trying to say.
My point was that you made a comparison that's completely unfounded based on a clip? Really? You didn't watch anything else from the dub to verify this one occurrence? If you actually watch some other clips from the newer dubs, & actually listened to them, you'd find they sound perfectly distinct. Piccolo's more close to Chris Sabat's own voice, considering it's also his Zoro voice, & his Vegeta voice is just less gruff & almost an octave lower in register. It allows him to emote more, I think. Seriously, dude, actually analyze something before making statements like that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:That SSJ3 power up was really awesome. But it's still missing something without the Faulconer music. I'm sorry but that theme is just too good.
If any other fans agree, there'll be a fan edit after the set comes out for sure.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 pm

TVfan721 wrote:Sorry but it's fucking ridiculous at this point how identical Vegeta and Piccolo sound. There is no excuse for Piccolo not being recast.
They're a little too similar for my liking,, and if we were ever looking at a redub, I'd rather Sabat step away from Piccolo, but his voices aren't so similar that it's jarring.
Retired.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 pm

This will be unpopular here, but I prefer the dialogue and screams from the original dub for the SSJ3 scene. I do like the Kai music for it though, makes it feel more regal and epic

veggiechan

Post by veggiechan » Mon May 15, 2017 11:16 pm

OLKv3 wrote:This will be unpopular here, but I prefer the dialogue and screams from the original dub for the SSJ3 scene. I do like the Kai music for it though, makes it feel more regal and epic
I feel the exact opposite. Dialogue is slightly better in Kai, not that the Z dub was bad or anything. But the Faulconer score is just so perfect in this scene...can't wait to hear a fan rescored version. As for the Vegeta sacrifice, Kai wins in almost every way. Although I could've sworn the "crackers and cheese" line from the dub was more accurate to the sub.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:42 am

Got heavily reminded of Sean's Fusion Reborn scream with this clip. But considering this scream was longer I prefer it. As for score, I always liked how the Kikuchi score has a calm fury vibe to it, especially when Goku is standing there fully transformed. Faulconer and Sumitomo make the transformation hype leaving the audience cheering for Goku, while Kikuchi gives the scene a different vibe, something more akin to danger and makes the audience go "What the hell is happening?" in a scared voice and leaves you speechless in awe. I greatly prefer that speechless awe. And the way Kikuchi's score perfectly matches what is shown on screen makes it even more fitting. But yeah the Kai acting is great, Final Chapters has made me like Sean as Goku.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Has anybody tried contacting Funi about the sound issue? I was really looking forward to buying all them at once but this sound like it might get really annoying. You guys are saying some very promising things about this release but the audio issue could be a deal breaker for me.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Has anybody tried contacting Funi about the sound issue? I was really looking forward to buying all them at once but this sound like it might get really annoying. You guys are saying some very promising things about this release but the audio issue could be a deal breaker for me.
I've tried approaching Funi through twitter with no response. Honestly, the muffled sfx aren't AS bad as I've made them out to be. If you watch the show without headphones then honestly it won't even be that noticeable.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Has anybody tried contacting Funi about the sound issue? I was really looking forward to buying all them at once but this sound like it might get really annoying. You guys are saying some very promising things about this release but the audio issue could be a deal breaker for me.
Don't even worry about it. It's noticeable, but far from unlistenable. It's not bad enough that it'll ever be fixed, nor does it need to be.
Retired.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's not bad enough that it'll ever be fixed, nor does it need to be.
It doesn't completely ruin it, but it's very noticeable and it should be fixed. It's an incredibly amateurish mistake that shouldn't have passed QC.
OmegaRockman wrote:So thanks to Daisetsu pointing out that the issue was with the center channel of the 5.1 audio, I was able to mess around with the audio in an attempt to fix the sound issues in episodes 113 to 121. I have audio files uploaded to MEGA that you can mux into your DVDs or MKV rips. I wouldn't know how to work them into the BDs, but I'm sure the more tech savvy guys here can figure it out. I hope they sound okay!

MEGA Folder: https://mega.nz/#F!DIMmEBSK!RIQvqHnYAQfGMRgIU6MvXg
I wish I knew how to do this. I'm glad you two a bit more techically inclined with audio at least. Someone should point out that delayed audio to FUNimation, though I doubt at this point they'll fix anything. It's clearly interfering with the sound waves of the other channels when downmixed, causing that odd, tinny sound. I've experienced that effect when trying to sync sound channels before, but it should have been caught by FUNimation's audio engineer. They put so much care into the dub, but the sound mixer fell asleep at the controls. :crazy:
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's not bad enough that it'll ever be fixed, nor does it need to be.
It doesn't completely ruin it, but it's very noticeable and it should be fixed. It's an incredibly amateurish mistake that shouldn't have passed QC.
It should be, but it doesn't necessarily need to be. Not quite the same thing.
Retired.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 pm

God knows how many throat lollies Sean had after that Super Saiyan 3 scene. Holy shit.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed May 17, 2017 1:46 am

I have a surround sound set up, hoping you guys are right about it being not that big of a deal.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed May 17, 2017 4:10 am

OLKv3 wrote:This will be unpopular here, but I prefer the dialogue and screams from the original dub for the SSJ3 scene. I do like the Kai music for it though, makes it feel more regal and epic
I agree about the dialogue. The characters said a lot of stuff in one go, in contrast to the original dub in which they didn't have too much to say.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 am

TVfan721 wrote:Sorry but it's fucking ridiculous at this point how identical Vegeta and Piccolo sound. There is no excuse for Piccolo not being recast.
Well yeah. There is an excuse. They wanted Scott McNeil for Piccolo, but he would've been too expensive to fly down that often.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:05 am

Scsigs wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:Well that's not good dude. You need to control yourself better. My comment has absolutely everything to do with this thread. People are posting clips of footage, I made a comment based on one of those clips. I saw the Vegeta Sacrifice one and both him and Piccolo sound almost identical now. That's my opinion. I am not sorry for that nor am I sorry for somehow offending you.

I apologize for using the word "fucking" if that was an issue.
I didn't say it didn't belong here. If there's a place to describe the English dub voice acting, THIS is the place. Also, I think my response, while a bit snappy, was justified for what I was trying to say.
My point was that you made a comparison that's completely unfounded based on a clip? Really? You didn't watch anything else from the dub to verify this one occurrence? If you actually watch some other clips from the newer dubs, & actually listened to them, you'd find they sound perfectly distinct. Piccolo's more close to Chris Sabat's own voice, considering it's also his Zoro voice, & his Vegeta voice is just less gruff & almost an octave lower in register. It allows him to emote more, I think. Seriously, dude, actually analyze something before making statements like that.
Lol what the hell? Again what's with the nerd-rage attitude? I've been watching Kai since it's inception, and this is an issue I've had with their voices for a long time. I'm not the first person to bring this up on here either. (and I see someone else a few posts above feels the same way) Again, don't take shit on a message board so seriously dude. It's just a cartoon show, we are all allowed to have different opinions.