"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 am

TVfan721 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:Well that's not good dude. You need to control yourself better. My comment has absolutely everything to do with this thread. People are posting clips of footage, I made a comment based on one of those clips. I saw the Vegeta Sacrifice one and both him and Piccolo sound almost identical now. That's my opinion. I am not sorry for that nor am I sorry for somehow offending you.

I apologize for using the word "fucking" if that was an issue.
I didn't say it didn't belong here. If there's a place to describe the English dub voice acting, THIS is the place. Also, I think my response, while a bit snappy, was justified for what I was trying to say.
My point was that you made a comparison that's completely unfounded based on a clip? Really? You didn't watch anything else from the dub to verify this one occurrence? If you actually watch some other clips from the newer dubs, & actually listened to them, you'd find they sound perfectly distinct. Piccolo's more close to Chris Sabat's own voice, considering it's also his Zoro voice, & his Vegeta voice is just less gruff & almost an octave lower in register. It allows him to emote more, I think. Seriously, dude, actually analyze something before making statements like that.
Lol what the hell? Again what's with the nerd-rage attitude? I've been watching Kai since it's inception, and this is an issue I've had with their voices for a long time. I'm not the first person to bring this up on here either. (and I see someone else a few posts above feels the same way) Again, don't take shit on a message board so seriously dude. It's just a cartoon show, we are all allowed to have different opinions.
I don't understand why he gets so, for lack of a better word, salty over everyone on this forum. He was exactly like that to me on the Super Dub thread just a few days ago when I said that I personally wanted Schemmel to sing Limit Break X Survivor for the dub and when I reported what the singer of the English version of Ending 2 of Super said in response to my tweets
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:44 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: I don't understand why he gets so, for lack of a better word, salty over everyone on this forum. He was exactly like that to me on the Super Dub thread just a few days ago when I said that I personally wanted Schemmel to sing Limit Break X Survivor for the dub and when I reported what the singer of the English version of Ending 2 of Super said in response to my tweets
Just overly passionate, I guess. Something similar happened to me when I said I'm glad Funi removed TFS from the Kai dub last minute, but it's whatever. i kinda see where he's coming from about judging the dub early though. People love to nitpick the dub to pieces about things they wouldn't nitpick the Japanese for.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: I don't understand why he gets so, for lack of a better word, salty over everyone on this forum. He was exactly like that to me on the Super Dub thread just a few days ago when I said that I personally wanted Schemmel to sing Limit Break X Survivor for the dub and when I reported what the singer of the English version of Ending 2 of Super said in response to my tweets
Just overly passionate, I guess. Something similar happened to me when I said I'm glad Funi removed TFS from the Kai dub last minute, but it's whatever. i kinda see where he's coming from about judging the dub early though. People love to nitpick the dub to pieces about things they wouldn't nitpick the Japanese for.
I agree with the judging too early part but he seems to take opinions as fact but getting back on topic, I bought the first The Final Chapters Blu-ray set last week and I haven't watched a lot of the episodes but I think the video commentary was pretty cool and I'm glad to see them on a Dragon Ball home release because I love the One Piece ones
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I agree with the judging too early part but he seems to take opinions as fact
a lot of people do. I forget who but someone over in the Super thread was getting really annoyed whenever someone said anything bad about Super, and because others didn't expilicitly state "in my opinion" it was apparently being said as a fact. shrugs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: But this is Dragon Ball for a new generation. I mean, the Faulconer score will never dissapear. I'm not saying this unkindly, I highly appreciate that you love Dragon Ball and your way of doing it is with Faulconer.
I appreciate you saying this kindly. Thanks! It's great to see a level-headed fan when faced with a different point of view. :D
I do love Faulconer most despite the flaws, but nobody is perfect. I still adore Kikuchi and the other JP composers too. Even Sumitomo has grown on me considerably since Super started.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Hey! Thanks! I thought long and hard to make a kind and understanding post. Thank you for the appreciation. Really! :D
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 17, 2017 7:26 pm

TheAldella wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:Sorry but it's fucking ridiculous at this point how identical Vegeta and Piccolo sound. There is no excuse for Piccolo not being recast.
Well yeah. There is an excuse. They wanted Scott McNeil for Piccolo, but he would've been too expensive to fly down that often.
Did they really? What's your source?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 pm

TVfan721 wrote:Lol what the hell? Again what's with the nerd-rage attitude? I've been watching Kai since it's inception, and this is an issue I've had with their voices for a long time. I'm not the first person to bring this up on here either. (and I see someone else a few posts above feels the same way) Again, don't take shit on a message board so seriously dude. It's just a cartoon show, we are all allowed to have different opinions.
Listen, sorry if I come off as overly passionate, really, but the problem I really have with someone saying Vegeta & Piccolo sound similar in English is that I simply don't hear it. If it were other characters voiced by 1 person like, say, Goku & Nail, I could see it because Sean doesn't really do much to make that voice too different from Goku's to voice Nail. Even in Japanese, what trips me up about Masako Nozawa voicing everyone in Goku's family aside from Raditz is that, while she has a slightly different delivery with each that you'd only be able to tell if you're just casually watching the show or movies in Japanese, she sounds EXACTLY the same with every one. Same voice tones depending on their ages. Sabat's Vegeta & Piccolo are distinct enough to where you can hear the clear difference.
Feel free to disagree, as I know you apparently do, but that's my POV on it.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I don't understand why he gets so, for lack of a better word, salty over everyone on this forum. He was exactly like that to me on the Super Dub thread just a few days ago when I said that I personally wanted Schemmel to sing Limit Break X Survivor for the dub and when I reported what the singer of the English version of Ending 2 of Super said in response to my tweets
Just to clear this one up, when I responded to you saying Sean should sing it, I was JOKING. I specifically typed "I'd want someone who didn't need heavy autotune" because I was making light of the fact that he DID need it for his version of Dragon Soul. I know you can't convey a joking tone too well in text unless you know the person who's typing or if they tell you, but you didn't ask me there, at least that I know of, so I'm explaining it now.
Then the thing with the second ending's singer. My point THERE was that you needlessly worried that he didn't record the whole thing. I was basically telling you not to worry because the TV broadcast ALWAYS cuts down the openings & endings for time & the full versions are gonna be on the home releases & whatever digital platforms FUNi's gonna put their shows on. That's all.
Always feel free to ask me to clarify my points if they're not too clear. I don't mind.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Scsigs wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:Lol what the hell? Again what's with the nerd-rage attitude? I've been watching Kai since it's inception, and this is an issue I've had with their voices for a long time. I'm not the first person to bring this up on here either. (and I see someone else a few posts above feels the same way) Again, don't take shit on a message board so seriously dude. It's just a cartoon show, we are all allowed to have different opinions.
Listen, sorry if I come off as overly passionate, really, but the problem I really have with someone saying Vegeta & Piccolo sound similar in English is that I simply don't hear it. If it were other characters voiced by 1 person like, say, Goku & Nail, I could see it because Sean doesn't really do much to make that voice too different from Goku's to voice Nail. Even in Japanese, what trips me up about Masako Nozawa voicing everyone in Goku's family aside from Raditz is that, while she has a slightly different delivery with each that you'd only be able to tell if you're just casually watching the show or movies in Japanese, she sounds EXACTLY the same with every one. Same voice tones depending on their ages. Sabat's Vegeta & Piccolo are distinct enough to where you can hear the clear difference.
Feel free to disagree, as I know you apparently do, but that's my POV on it.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I don't understand why he gets so, for lack of a better word, salty over everyone on this forum. He was exactly like that to me on the Super Dub thread just a few days ago when I said that I personally wanted Schemmel to sing Limit Break X Survivor for the dub and when I reported what the singer of the English version of Ending 2 of Super said in response to my tweets
Just to clear this one up, when I responded to you saying Sean should sing it, I was JOKING. I specifically typed "I'd want someone who didn't need heavy autotune" because I was making light of the fact that he DID need it for his version of Dragon Soul. I know you can't convey a joking tone too well in text unless you know the person who's typing or if they tell you, but you didn't ask me there, at least that I know of, so I'm explaining it now.
Then the thing with the second ending's singer. My point THERE was that you needlessly worried that he didn't record the whole thing. I was basically telling you not to worry because the TV broadcast ALWAYS cuts down the openings & endings for time & the full versions are gonna be on the home releases & whatever digital platforms FUNi's gonna put their shows on. That's all.
Always feel free to ask me to clarify my points if they're not too clear. I don't mind.
Even if the characters Nozawa voices sound the same, it doesn't matter, because she's a great actress.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Even if the characters Nozawa voices sound the same, it doesn't matter, because she's a great actress.
And I don't doubt it, that's just the example I used.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Scsigs wrote:
TheAldella wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:Sorry but it's fucking ridiculous at this point how identical Vegeta and Piccolo sound. There is no excuse for Piccolo not being recast.
Well yeah. There is an excuse. They wanted Scott McNeil for Piccolo, but he would've been too expensive to fly down that often.
They didn't switch the voice cast after 2 seasons for fun. I'm sure they would have love to have kept the original "Ocean" voices if they could, and there's evidence in that the Texas VA's were made to imitate their predecessors. Unfortunately, that history was somewhat erased with the redub of the Orange Bricks, which has been used on every subsequent release.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
TheAldella wrote: Well yeah. There is an excuse. They wanted Scott McNeil for Piccolo, but he would've been too expensive to fly down that often.
They didn't switch the voice cast after 2 seasons for fun. I'm sure they would have love to have kept the original "Ocean" voices if they could, and there's evidence in that the Texas VA's were made to imitate their predecessors. Unfortunately, that history was somewhat erased with the redub of the Orange Bricks, which has been used on every subsequent release.
I thought this person was talking about Kai's dub. Guess I didn't have all of the relevent info?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Did they really? What's your source?
I thought this person was talking about Kai's dub. Guess I didn't have all of the relevent info?
I think he was just talking about the history of the voice cast in general, just to make the point "Yeah, there is a reason Sabat plays Piccolo".
Retired.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Even if the characters Nozawa voices sound the same, it doesn't matter, because she's a great actress.
And Sabat is a great actor. What's your point?

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed May 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Scsigs wrote:
TheAldella wrote:
It seems to be one of those things everybody remembers but can never find. There's another Kanzenshuu post around here somewhere too. Sabat wanted to grab McNeil for Piccolo back when Kai started, but it was too expensive. Funnily enough McNeil did go down there briefly for One Piece: Strong World.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 9:00 pm

TheAldella wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
TheAldella wrote: Well yeah. There is an excuse. They wanted Scott McNeil for Piccolo, but he would've been too expensive to fly down that often.
It seems to be one of those things everybody remembers but can never find. There's another Kanzenshuu post around here somewhere too. Sabat wanted to grab McNeil for Piccolo back when Kai started, but it was too expensive. Funnily enough McNeil did go down there briefly for One Piece: Strong World.
Funny, I've never heard any of that. It's an interesting idea, but I doubt it ever could have been possible. Surely the Ocean actors had a similar contract to Funimation, in which case he couldn't have voiced Piccolo in any official capacity outside of the company's dub. Maybe not, though.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 17, 2017 9:11 pm

TheAldella wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
And the brief cameo in one of the episodes they finally released last year, but I imagine they had a file of the episode & translated the lines specifically for recording during his sessions. In that case, it's a one-off case where he probably flew down for a week & they had him do his sessions for them, then he went home. It's the main reason they switched casts; money. Yeah, they have West Coast actors flying back & forth for certain dubs, but they're probably not as expensive flights, or they do their recordings over phone calls or Skype like Sean. Now that I think about it, they could get a lot of Canadians to do voices in their dubs over Skype, but then again, most of them are union VAs & anime dubs, unless they're done at Disney, are nonunion & don't require residuals to be paid, so they're usually pretty low-cost.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
TheAldella wrote:
Funny, I've never heard any of that. It's an interesting idea, but I doubt it ever could have been possible. Surely the Ocean actors had a similar contract to Funimation, in which case he couldn't have voiced Piccolo in any official capacity outside of the company's dub. Maybe not, though.
Well, the beginning portion of the Ocean Dub is owned by Funimation, so they'd probably be legally allowed to use his Piccolo if they were willing to put up the money for it. I kinda wish it did happen since McNeil is my favorite English Piccolo. At the same time Sabat's current performance is a close second for me, so I guess I'm happy either way.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Thu May 18, 2017 3:57 am

Scsigs wrote:
TheAldella wrote:
And the brief cameo in one of the episodes they finally released last year, but I imagine they had a file of the episode & translated the lines specifically for recording during his sessions. In that case, it's a one-off case where he probably flew down for a week & they had him do his sessions for them, then he went home.
Wait, what cameo are you referring to?

EDIT - Oh, nevermind. I realize now you're talking about that one filler episode of One Piece where Shiki has a few lines.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 18, 2017 8:24 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Even if the characters Nozawa voices sound the same, it doesn't matter, because she's a great actress.
And Sabat is a great actor. What's your point?
My point is that although Goku, Gohan and Goten share the same voice in Japanese, Nozawa has a great deal of talent to give them different deliveries. And I don't have a problem with Sabat as an actor. He sucked back in Z, but now he's great.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.