"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I hated that they did that with Yuri Lowenthal in Naruto, so it's not like that's going to be any better.
Sorry for going off-topic for a moment, but it is a bit of a trade-off with Sasuke. Either, you have a higher voice with (from what I recall) relatively poor acting, or the not-so-12-year-old voice with amazing acting. The former portion of the latter option never really bothered me, though, so (to connect that to this) it'd turn out all right if Mr. Schemmel had the range to do a young Gokū.
What about if they pitch-shifted his voice? It didn't work with Linda Young as Frieza initially, but I imagine they could maybe have better results with Sean. We can't always have voice actresses who match the other actor so well, like Krillin's actress matching Sonny really well.
On the note of Sasuke, I kinda wish they got Tara Strong to do young Sasuke, who was way younger than 12 in the flashbacks BTW, it would've created some serious hilarious in hindsight after he played Ben 10 in the later shows.
Last edited by Scsigs on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Since it's been brought up, i think having a DB dub with Colleen doing the voice would be pretty awesome. Seeing her do scenes like Goku one-shotting Drum and fighting Krillin would be awesome.

I don't really see it as "Luffy" doing Goku tbh. I used to be all over One Piece, but not anymore nowadays. I don't really think of him when I hear that voice. It's either Gohan or Goku in my mind.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Scsigs wrote:What about if they pitch-shifted his voice? It didn't work with Linda Young as Frieza initially, but I imagine they could maybe have better results with Sean. We can't always have voice actresses who match the other actor so well, like Krillin's actress matching Sonny really well.

On the note of Sasuke, I kinda wish they got Tara Strong to do young Sasuke, who was way younger than 12 in the flashbacks BTW, it would've created some serious hilarious in hindsight after he played Ben 10 in the later shows.
That could work to a degree, but they'd have to get it to sound natural. I'd personally lean towards a different actor (or actress) than Schemmel, but not Clinkenbeard.

Wow... that would be absolutely amazing. Though I thought they did a good job with Sasuke's 7-year-old voice for the most part, Strong would be a really interesting take on him.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Scsigs wrote:It's also telling when they wanted Eric Vale to play Luffy before being forced to pick a female VA.
I've got nothing against Eric Vale, in fact he's one of my favorite actors at Funimation, but that is a voice that I can't see fitting Luffy at all. The "higher-ups" made the right call with that one.

Back to the Kai discussion,

I am a frequent viewer of the One Piece dub, and Colleen's Gohan and Goku have still never made me think "That's Luffy". This doesn't just apply to dubs, either. Hearing Mayumi Tanaka as Luffy never makes me think "That's Kuririn" and hearing Ryusei Nakao as Caesar Clown never makes me think "That's Freeza". I don't see why it's so hard to separate these characters just because they have the same voice.

Also, after >350 episodes, Colleen's voice for Luffy has still never felt grating to me. The same goes for Gohan. I respect everyone's opinions here, but I honestly don't know why people dislike her performance so much. I would personally take her over Stephanie any day.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:I am a frequent viewer of the One Piece dub, and Colleen's Gohan and Goku have still never made me think "That's Luffy". This doesn't just apply to dubs, either. Hearing Mayumi Tanaka as Luffy never makes me think "That's Kuririn" and hearing Ryusei Nakao as Caesar Clown never makes me think "That's Freeza". I don't see why it's so hard to separate these characters just because they have the same voice.

Also, after >350 episodes, Colleen's voice for Luffy has still never felt grating to me. The same goes for Gohan. I respect everyone's opinions here, but I honestly don't know why people dislike her performance so much. I would personally take her over Stephanie any day.
See, I don't think it's necessarily the voice itself, it's more so the tone that really gets me. There is a difference in the performance, since she deepens the tone for Luffy, but there's something about it I don't hate it when it's Luffy, plus she plays Luffy as a simpleton, where Gohan's actually smart. Plus, it's so radically different from the voice before her.
Here's the thing, Eric Vale uses the exact same tone for Sanji that he does for Trunks, yet I still love that voice. I can't picture him playing Luffy either, but that's besides the point. The point is that the voice CAN get grating. It doesn't matter if you feel that way, what matters is that you understand that it can, the same way people don't care for Masako Nozawa as Goku. For some, it just doesn't fit with the character.
Contrast it with Chris Ayres playing Frieza, where he's a MUCH better fit than Linda Young. His voice was perfect, especially since it was most likely influenced by Little Kuriboh's DBZA voice for the character. It even goes into a straight-up voice match at one point.
Someone I mentioned already, Tara Strong, I don't hate when I hear her play Timmy Turner, then I watch an episode of Ben 10. She's a great voice actress. I understand both sides of the spectrum, but Colleen's voice is where I get tripped up. It's the same tone, just higher-pitched & I can't stand it. It can already get annoying as Luffy, now it's just worse.
You don't have to agree with that sentiment, just understand that it happens. I've talked to many people that hate her Luffy voice & I can understand. I like her as Luffy, just not Gohan, or Goku. Sorry, but I can't change how I feel in this instance.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 pm

As someone who watches a lot of Funi dubs and likes to try and recognize the actors by ear, I don't often have problems with hearing other actors roles. I mean it of course depends on the show. I find the actors that I have the hardest time not hearing a past role of theirs to be Bryce Papenbrook, J. Michael Tatum, Monica Rial, Vic Mignogna and Johnny Young Bosch. All of these have that one role I remember them for and it really takes me out of the show hearing them sometimes. For Colleen however I don't hear it at all.

Colleen is a great actress when it comes to subtly changing her voice mannerisms to make her roles sound different, not unlike Masako Nozawa or Mayumi Tanaka. Think of two characters who seem very similar of hers being Riza Hawkeye and Erza Scarlet, they sounds similar, but some subtle tone differences and voice expressions and while you can tell it's the same actress, it's not enough to distract from the show.

She does a similar thing between Goku, Gohan and Luffy. Maybe it's Luffy being super carefree, but I never got distracted watching Kai nor did I ever hear any Luffy come out of her voice. As for those who don't like Colleen as Luffy, um....She's bloody perfect as are much of Funi Piece's casting is. I can't think of a better Luffy after hearing her performance in Enies Lobby, and while I'm not up to Marineford yet, I can't wait to hear her and Travis do THAT scene. A common complaint I hear for One Piece's dub is the usage of Dragon Ball's cast and how it takes people out of the show and dislike the dub. As for me while an unpopular opinion, I think Colleen, Sabat, Vale, Sonny and Sinclair perform their respective One Piece characters better then they've ever performed in any of their Dragon Ball roles.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:22 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:A common complaint I hear for One Piece's dub is the usage of Dragon Ball's cast and how it takes people out of the show and dislike the dub.
Kind of funny considering how much of the Japanese cast for One Piece also did Dragon Ball characters.

Mayumi Tanaka - Luffy/Kuririn
Toshio Furukawa - Ace/Piccolo
Ryusei Nakao - Caesar Clown/Freeza
Masako Nozawa - Dr. Kureha/Son Goku (& more)

I could go on, especially with some the characters added in Super.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:00 am

Seems the credits said "Artificial Human" again. If only FUNi used it...

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:11 am

simtek34 wrote:Seems the credits said "Artificial Human" again. If only FUNi used it...
Prefer Andriod tbh. AH is too clunky sounding. Believe Herms said that Andriod is perfectly fine so I guess it's just a matter of preference and as I said I think Andriod sounds naturally better.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:, but I honestly don't know why people dislike her performance so much. I would personally take her over Stephanie any day.
This. While Stephanie's Kid Goku wasn't too terrible. Her Gohan was truly horrid and ill-fitting.

I think Colleen's Gohan was a bit too try hard but still a vast improvement.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 am

The Goten and Trunks fight was cute, though Trunks is a big fat cheater, sure Goten used SS but he used to break free and not knock Trunks out. "Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater!"- Never heard that phrase before.

The Satan bit didn't disappoint! Rager is soo good! Also Gohan is trying way to hard to keep this ruse up! Them all taking the piss out of Satan was :lol:.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:10 pm

How do you feel about changes being made to a name based on what rolls off the tongue/fits the mouth flaps better?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm

simtek34 wrote:Seems the credits said "Artificial Human" again. If only FUNi used it...
"The two cyborgs" is a preferable alternative. "Artificial Humans" rolls off better in reading than it would in English voice acting.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:05 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:How do you feel about changes being made to a name based on what rolls off the tongue/fits the mouth flaps better?
All for it, the last thing one want's is a clunky sounding dub, Beerus the Destroyer sounds so much better than Beerus the God of Destruction, same with Android vs Artificial Human. Some Japanese attack names also sound incredibly awkward dubbed so I am at least glad they have reverted back even if they are not accurate. Overall I do thing some folks are adverse to changes that do not take these things into consideration.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:58 pm

I'd expect Super to start being released the month after
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Kai Part 3:

And that ladies and gentlemen is that! :D

Link: https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... -blr-00173
I wasn't far off on my cover prediction this time so, other than Goku using the Spirit Bomb. Think its alright, if a bit similar to the Z Season 9 set.

Can't wait to start adding these to my collection and to see how they will handle the Super covers in about a month.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm so glad they're not making us wait for weekly episodes. What are the chances though that they'll release a "Season 5" and "Season 6" set consisting of 34-35 episodes? It'd be weird to not have season sets for The Final Chapters when the previous episodes had them.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 pm

thaman91 wrote:I'm so glad they're not making us wait for weekly episodes. What are the chances though that they'll release a "Season 5" and "Season 6" set consisting of 34-35 episodes? It'd be weird to not have season sets for The Final Chapters when the previous episodes had them.
Zero chance, these sets are effectively the season sets and with Super a thing now ongoing they're not gonna re-release Kai hence why they went this route in the first place.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks to Wikipedia, the commentary will be in International #157 (JPEDT#150)
地球消滅!!始まりのブウの非道な一撃

What could they talk about with this? Any ideas? I'm not that sure

EDIT: Seems it comes out on June 20th.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34