"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Well, as previously pointed out, TFS is not on the home release. A real shame. I'm convinced there must have been pressure from Toei to drop them from the show.

EDIT: Should have said this sooner, but we all basically knew already, home release is in 16:9 making it inconsistent with previous Kai releases aspect ratio wise.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by SSGSS Goku » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks to the Blu-rays, I was able to rip the Next Episode Preview theme for Kai TFC, which didn't seem to be released on the French digital soundtrack. You can check out the NEP theme here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FLep42Z0ms
I'll try to get the recap theme soon too!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:22 am

SSGSS Goku wrote:Thanks to the Blu-rays, I was able to rip the Next Episode Preview theme for Kai TFC, which didn't seem to be released on the French digital soundtrack. You can check out the NEP theme here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FLep42Z0ms
I'll try to get the recap theme soon too!
I think that's actually better than the Kuu Zen Zetsu Go version of the NEP.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:28 am

So they really couldn't redub the dialogue of the Fake Cell movie scene with different VAs? Now that's just lazy. I'll give the Kikuchi rescoring some credit in how they seemed to take some time to consider which goes where (even if we could've done with more variety).

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 am

matt0044 wrote:So they really couldn't redub the dialogue of the Fake Cell movie scene with different VAs? Now that's just lazy. I'll give the Kikuchi rescoring some credit in how they seemed to take some time to consider which goes where (even if we could've done with more variety).
Don't really see what is lazy, what is the point of wasting time and resources to re-record a two minute clip?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:42 pm

matt0044 wrote:So they really couldn't redub the dialogue of the Fake Cell movie scene with different VAs? Now that's just lazy. I'll give the Kikuchi rescoring some credit in how they seemed to take some time to consider which goes where (even if we could've done with more variety).
That's more than likely because they were told on the last minute to remove the TFS dub.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Don't really see what is lazy, what is the point of wasting time and resources to re-record a two minute clip?
sintzu wrote:
That's more than likely because they were told on the last minute to remove the TFS dub.
Not only that, but they finished dubbing Kai for over years now. Going back to redub a 2 minute scene that was changed at the last second (as evident as the Toonami promo featured the TFS voices) while already having a dub that has that scene is the most efficient way.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:07 pm

I really dig Sabat's Majin Vegeta performance. It's intense, and with a much improved script than before. Does it make sense to tell a dead guy (Goku) that this time, he's going to die?

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Who knows? maybe someone will post an edit of the episode online somewhere that includes the original clip? I've seen the clip on youtube already, so it's out there at least. Hooray Streisand effect!!!

(And thanks to Jim Sterling for introducing me to the term! ...Yes I know but I like the guy!)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:I really dig Sabat's Majin Vegeta performance. It's intense, and with a much improved script than before. Does it make sense to tell a dead guy (Goku) that this time, he's going to die?
Not at all, but then again the way death apparently works in DB is that you die once, get transported to the spirit/Kai dimension/realm, then if you die again, your spirit gets destroyed & there's nothing else that can happen afterwards. Either that, or it's Vegeta's rage. One of the two.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:54 am

sintzu wrote:
No reason they had look so hasty.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

I wanna hear Majin Vegeta so badly gah. Can I ask for a small clip?
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:51 pm

TheAldella wrote:I wanna hear Majin Vegeta so badly gah. Can I ask for a small clip?
I posted a small clip on Twitter.

I'm pretty impressed with what I'm hearing so far. Shame it has to be part of such an awful product like Boo Kai.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Sabat sounds pretty awesome as Majin Vegeta. Much better than he sounded in Z.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:06 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat sounds pretty awesome as Majin Vegeta. Much better than he sounded in Z.
Yeah he was really awful in Z, Sabat's Vegeta is/was definitely the top thing I was/am looking forward to most in TFC.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:23 pm

That's pretty crazy. Babidi sounds fantastic too.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Ajay wrote:
TheAldella wrote:I wanna hear Majin Vegeta so badly gah. Can I ask for a small clip?

I'm pretty impressed with what I'm hearing so far. Shame it has to be part of such an awful product like Boo Kai.
I'd take Boo Kai just to hear Sabat's second chance at Majin Vegeta and man did he nail it, great clip :clap: . The Funimation cast were not bad by the Z Boo arc but the Kai version has been blowing even that out of the water.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Ajay wrote:

Thanks for uploading that.

At first I was worried, because his initial grunts sounded kind of like his old Z performances, but he really showed off his range when he actually started talking and yelling.

Super freaking excited for this dub. While I still think the first Kai was still a decent product in Japanese, even with the Buu arcs problems, I feel that the dub will more than make up for it.

I haven't caught the last few episodes on Toonami unfortunately, but I saw some clips, and the scene where Videl saw Gohan getting his energy drained was extremely well scripted and acted by Kara Edwards. In that scene she was stuttering and struggling to find the words to say, which was very realistic. In the old Z dub they very rarely ever had anything like that, because almost always whenever a character spoke, they'd have to say complete words and sentences, which lead to awkward dialog padding (extra goshes and hecks and whatnot) that wouldn't have needed to be there if they just used those mouth flaps for stuttering and whatnot.

For an example of what I mean, in the Japanese version if Gohan says "P-Piccolo-san!" the old dub would be something like "Oh no Piccolo!". Unfortunately there is something like this in one Kai scene that I noticed recently. When Krillin is watching Cell and Goku fight, in the Japanese version his mouth moves, but he's just stuttering, trying to form words, but he's overwhelmed and so he doesn't let out more than just "Uh-...u-... Uh-...", but the dub had him say "This is nuts!", which isn't really a problem though, and I wouldn't have even noticed had they not handled Videl struggling to form a sentence in the Buu arc dub as they have.

Another example I remember someone saying a little while back is in Dragon Ball when Goku sees Krillin has been killed, the dub says "Poor Krillin", when they could have just said "K-..Krillin.." Stuttering in stressful situations is a great way to pad "mouth flaps", but instead of doing that, they wrote themselves into really awkward dialog when they didn't need to.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:06 pm

hey ajay can you post 18 vs Mr Satan i wanna hear how colleen makes a deal