The German DBZ Kai dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Re: The German DBZ Kai dub trailer is here...

Post by Javaki » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Jürgen Seebeck, the guy who did the German translation for the Dragon Ball manga back in 1997, is also doing the German translation for Kai. Kazé posted a short video message from him today (you can see some lines of the Japanese script for Kai's episode 30 at the end of the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHnKBC6A6o

Seebeck's Dragon Ball Z "TV Anime Comic" translations from 2008 were more faithful to the original than his initial manga translation, so I guess Kai's translation will definitely be a lot closer to the original compared to the German TV dubs for Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, which were -as far as I know- all based on French translations.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:55 am

That reminds me the Korean version...they used the original cast(or a part of it) to BOG, but dubbed Kai with a different one, and in the same time.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:56 pm

I know the trailer has been released, but what about the dub itself, has the dub been released yet? And if so, have the songs been dubbed?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: The German DBZ Kai dub

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:38 pm

According to the trailer it releases the 25th. Should have the answer roughly around then.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:57 am

The release has been postponed. The new release date is October 9.

Oh and here is the new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3FxwUhHJuY

I won't say anything about the script and the acting ...
But, did I hear the Yamamoto score?
Last edited by Timo on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:09 am

If you won't say anything on the acting then I will: omg, I can't feel any emotions from most of the lines I heard... It's like the script's been read >_>

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Timo wrote:The release has been postponed. The new release date is October 9.

Oh and here is the new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3FxwUhHJuY

I won't say anything about the script and the acting ...
But, did I hear the Yamamoto score?
Yeo plus my 18th which wasn't even dubbed plus the placement of the music seemed awkward
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:10 am

Timo wrote:The release has been postponed. The new release date is October 9.
Nah, only the Blu-ray was delayed, the DVD is already out.
Unboxing video: https://youtu.be/z3uazx0dh_s
Timo wrote: But, did I hear the Yamamoto score?
Doesn't sound like Yamamoto to me...

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:21 am

It was the Yamamoto score. They used tracks of the third soundtrack and the 18th Magic insert song.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Darkblade1995 wrote:It was the Yamamoto score. They used tracks of the third soundtrack and the 18th Magic insert song.
Wow, you're right. "My 18th Magic " is also used in the replacement score, but it sure is weird they were allowed to use track 7 (新たな敵の出現) and 25 (勝者のダンス). (amazon.co.jp provides previews for all 3 tracks)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:47 pm

Javaki wrote:Nah, only the Blu-ray was delayed, the DVD is already out.
Well in that case, I have three questions:

1) Does the show itself have the Yamamoto score, or was it just a weird choice of preview music that they included in the trailer only?
2) Have the songs been dubbed?
3) Just overall...how is the dub? The acting, the writing/translation?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:29 am

I am austrian, so I am a native german speaker and I bought the german version of kai a few days ago. Kai itself was awesome, I never watched it before, the voices arent bad, but they were no match to chris sabat, sean schemmel, etc which are my personal favorites. As far as the translation goes, I cant really judge it because I only saw it once, but I recall that they pronounced kamehameha and kaioken completly wrong.

But thanks to this release I decided to buy the english version of kai, which not only has my favorite voice actors on them but it is also a lot cheaper.

But overall I wouldnt say it is a bad dub. And since I always watch dbz in english I dont miss the old german cast.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:39 am

Alex9196 wrote:I am austrian, so I am a native german speaker and I bought the german version of kai a few days ago. Kai itself was awesome, I never watched it before, the voices arent bad, but they were no match to chris sabat, sean schemmel, etc which are my personal favorites. As far as the translation goes, I cant really judge it because I only saw it once, but I recall that they pronounced kamehameha and kaioken completly wrong.

But thanks to this release I decided to buy the english version of kai, which not only has my favorite voice actors on them but it is also a lot cheaper.

But overall I wouldnt say it is a bad dub. And since I always watch dbz in english I dont miss the old german cast.
You should try japanese...

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:21 am

Toei Animation Europe announced last week that the German free-to-air TV channel ProSieben MAXX acquired the TV rights for Dragon Ball Kai. ProSieben MAXX confirmed yesterday via twitter and facebook that the first 46 episodes of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai will be broadcast weekdays at 3.35pm, beginning on Monday (16 November 2015). More episodes are expected to follow in mid-2016.

This is a nice opportunity for me to check out the new dub, as I didn't buy Kaze's blu-rays. (I already have Funimation's discs to watch the show in Japanese and don't really care about dubs anymore :D )

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Alex9196 wrote:I am austrian, so I am a native german speaker and I bought the german version of kai a few days ago. Kai itself was awesome, I never watched it before, the voices arent bad, but they were no match to chris sabat, sean schemmel, etc which are my personal favorites. As far as the translation goes, I cant really judge it because I only saw it once, but I recall that they pronounced kamehameha and kaioken completly wrong.

You should try japanese...
I heard japanese before and there are two voices that I like more in japanese which are Freeza, King Kai. But I dont speak japanese, so I would have to watch it subbed. And Gokus voice is another reason why I dont like the japanese version.
Along with the fact that except for Freeza and King Kai I like every english voice more than the japanese counterpart.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Javaki wrote:Nah, only the Blu-ray was delayed, the DVD is already out.
Well in that case, I have three questions:

1) Does the show itself have the Yamamoto score, or was it just a weird choice of preview music that they included in the trailer only?
2) Have the songs been dubbed?
3) Just overall...how is the dub? The acting, the writing/translation?
I didn't buy the discs, but the first episode was aired on TV a few minutes ago, so I'm now able to answer these questions:
1) Yamamoto was only in the trailer. The episodes themselves feature Kikuchi's score.
2) No dubbed songs. The original Japanese versions of "Dragon Soul" and “Yeah! Break! Care! Break!” were used. Even the displayed lyrics and episode titles where left untranslated.
3) I watched the German dub while playing back FUNimation's blu-ray with Simmons' English subtitles to get an idea of how accurate the translation is. Well, they matched almost all the time, so the translation seems to be very faithful to the original. I didn't notice anything bad about the acting either.

This is also the first time a German dub for a Dragon Ball TV show includes the full ending, eyecatch and next episode preview. Oh, the “Akira Toriyama Original Cut Version” pre-title card was also shown.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:41 pm

How can this dub be watched?

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:42 pm

sangofe wrote:How can this dub be watched?
It's available on DVD and Blu-ray and is broadcasted by German free-to-air TV channel ProSieben MAXX. Recently aired episodes are also available for free on the channel's website (but I think they can only be accessed with German, Austrian or Swiss ip addresses)

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:24 pm

Thank you very much for the info, Javaki.

So, I've watched the first episode.

- 16/9 AR, and they're using the Japanese footage : http://i.imgur.com/MPWuLBa.png
- Misplaced Kikuchi score...how depressing.
- In the NEP's narration, the original brand, "Dragon Ball Kai" was kept too.How's that possible ? I don't care, I LOVE this. :thumbup:
-"Saiyajin" was also left intact, just like they did in the old Z dub.

Wow, Bardock's voice is pretty cool ! It reminds me Tommy Morgenstern, really (unlike Goku's voice, unfortunately).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:29 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:So, I've watched the first episode.

- 16/9 AR, and they're using the Japanese footage : http://i.imgur.com/MPWuLBa.png
- In the NEP's narration, the original brand, "Dragon Ball Kai" was kept too.How's that possible ? I don't care, I LOVE this. :thumbup:
They may not have necessarily received the Japanese footage. I mean, they may have, don't get me wrong, but there is another possible explanation. In FUNimation's home video release of Kai, the first episode still has the original Japanese show title (and Japanese text), "Dragon Ball Kai," only to switch to the revised "Dragon Ball Z Kai" title and text for every episode afterwords. What about the episodes after the first one?

Also, interestingly enough, despite the fact that the Brazillian Portuguese dub inherited the Nicktoons-edited FUNimation English dub materials, which clearly referred to the show as "Dragon Ball Z Kai," the narrator still referred to the show as "Dragon Ball Kai."