The German DBZ Kai dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan-Over

Re: The German DBZ Kai dub

Post by Saiyan-Over » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:41 pm

MCDaveG wrote:I like the new voices even being fan of the previous German dub. Just don't understand how the fans are so much pissed and got so many dislikes to those videos :/
For german standards, this is a really bad dub, german dubs are one of the best dubs in the world. And the kai dub is one of the badest dragon ball dubs.

I have now found good comparison videos and it´s just pretty weak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDeVOu89Pic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I29L6O-fHxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQziUDRMSI

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Saiyan-Over wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:I like the new voices even being fan of the previous German dub. Just don't understand how the fans are so much pissed and got so many dislikes to those videos :/
For german standards, this is a really bad dub, german dubs are one of the best dubs in the world. And the kai dub is one of the badest dragon ball dubs.

I have now found good comparison videos and it´s just pretty weak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDeVOu89Pic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I29L6O-fHxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQziUDRMSI
Yeah, you are right! Script aside, the classic dub I grew up on was really awesome and Chala Head Chala was the bomb on TV.
This is just weak. It's probably the same cheap dub we got in Czech Republic for anime. That Goku is really subpar.

I fondly remember Trunks, Freeza, Piccolo and Son Goku from German dub.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:28 pm

The screams in the German dub of Kai don't seem as powerful as the ones in DBZ, but the audio nerd in me is wondering if it's (at least partially) a problem with the audio mix. The Kai dub audio samples that I heard all sound like the actors are too far away from the microphone. If that's the case, that's the recording engineer's fault.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Saiyan-Over

Post by Saiyan-Over » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:51 pm

No wondering, the dubbing studio is really bad. One reason why the old cast don't come back for dbz kai.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Well, in Kaze's defense, when they re-cast the voices for the Kai dub, they did say that they tried to get all of the old voice actors back and that negotiations were attempted. They said they wouldn't disclose specifics, but there are two areas of suspicion:

1) The time commitment. Kaze noted that to dub a movie (that's only an hour and a half long) takes about 1-2 days of sessions for each actor, but dubbing for a 100+-episode TV series? That takes significantly longer. Kaze hinted that the time commitment was not workable for a lot of the actors.

2) In addition, the (unconfirmed) rumor going around was that a lot of the old cast members were just too expensive. I don't know how dubbing actors negotiate rates in Germany, but from what I've been told, their time on DBZ was very kind to their dubbing careers, and a lot of them moved on to bigger projects. For example, Tommy Morgenstern, the voice of Goku, now provides the German dub voice for Thor in all of his movies and the Avengers movies, as well as James Gordon in the German dub of Gotham, and Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead. If, as an actor, you have both experience and popularity, the general rule of thumb is that you are in a position to demand a higher-than-usual fee. Kaze, for their part, said that they offered "the normal market prices" for the actors. So, either Kaze lied and offered cheap money, or, the more likely scenario, the original cast is now popular enough that they can ask for fees above the normal market prices.

Either way, I'm not so sure it's a matter of Kaze being cheap. I don't know the German dubbing industry that well, so maybe they are, but it could also just be that the original cast really is just too expensive (and unable to commit that much time, considering all the other projects they're involved in).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Saiyan-Over wrote:No wondering, the dubbing studio is really bad. One reason why the old cast don't come back for dbz kai.
It's really a bad studio or are just saying that because DBZKAI's dub is horrible?

Saiyan-Over

Post by Saiyan-Over » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:15 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well, in Kaze's defense, when they re-cast the voices for the Kai dub, they did say that they tried to get all of the old voice actors back and that negotiations were attempted. They said they wouldn't disclose specifics, but there are two areas of suspicion:

1) The time commitment. Kaze noted that to dub a movie (that's only an hour and a half long) takes about 1-2 days of sessions for each actor, but dubbing for a 100+-episode TV series? That takes significantly longer. Kaze hinted that the time commitment was not workable for a lot of the actors.

2) In addition, the (unconfirmed) rumor going around was that a lot of the old cast members were just too expensive. I don't know how dubbing actors negotiate rates in Germany, but from what I've been told, their time on DBZ was very kind to their dubbing careers, and a lot of them moved on to bigger projects. For example, Tommy Morgenstern, the voice of Goku, now provides the German dub voice for Thor in all of his movies and the Avengers movies, as well as James Gordon in the German dub of Gotham, and Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead. If, as an actor, you have both experience and popularity, the general rule of thumb is that you are in a position to demand a higher-than-usual fee. Kaze, for their part, said that they offered "the normal market prices" for the actors. So, either Kaze lied and offered cheap money, or, the more likely scenario, the original cast is now popular enough that they can ask for fees above the normal market prices.

Either way, I'm not so sure it's a matter of Kaze being cheap. I don't know the German dubbing industry that well, so maybe they are, but it could also just be that the original cast really is just too expensive (and unable to commit that much time, considering all the other projects they're involved in).
Yea they said that, but its not true. By the voice actor of krillin, we knows that the old voice actors has not been requested by Kaze / the studio . It is also a very cheap dub , otherwise they would have taken the same good speaker like the old .But they have taken quite inexperienced speaker, the one in almost every anime dub heard of kaze . Some of them do not even have a spectacle education . Kaze knew from the beginning that they , the old not afford and have all replaced , therefore, by cheap voice actors. Many of the old voice actors can be heard even today in animes from other publishers, like universe anime. Kaze has done something like this often . Which are not interested in satisfied fans , the main thing they have no cost unnecessary spending and a good dub is not important for them . Their justification is that the fans can watch a German dub least , sadly it such as company specialized kaze even still exist .
Tian wrote:
Saiyan-Over wrote:No wondering, the dubbing studio is really bad. One reason why the old cast don't come back for dbz kai.
It's really a bad studio or are just saying that because DBZKAI's dub is horrible?
Yes it is, many dubs of them are pretty bad. And the voice actors of kai is heard in any other dub of them. Most dubs by Kaze are pretty bad , they can not afford such voice actors like Tommy morgenstern , they take only cheap speaker . Apart from a few exceptions such as Tokyo Ghoul or attack on titan.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Wow, that does sound pretty lackluster. Bad script or not, I gotta go with the original German dub of Dragon Ball Z because that atleast had some really good acting in it.

Saiyan-Over

Post by Saiyan-Over » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:40 am

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Good lord. Some else than Thomas Nero-Wolff as Freeza is ... no.

THIS is Freeza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CGzUBy_YNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg-UMsnqD7Y
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:03 pm

Why did they change Freeza va?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:16 pm

sangofe wrote:Why did they change Freeza va?

They went with the German DBZ Kai guys. Goku and Vegeta got the old ones because so many fans complained.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Cetra wrote:

They went with the German DBZ Kai guys. Goku and Vegeta got the old ones because so many fans complained.
That's very disappointing to hear. Even Piccolo got shafted?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:11 pm

I don't know but I doubt that David Nathan, Piccolo's first voice actor is included.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Saiyan-Over

Post by Saiyan-Over » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:15 pm

Freezer, Trunks and Master Roshi are the only one to have a new voice. But the new Freezer is pretty bad, he sounds strange.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Saiyan-Over wrote:Freezer, Trunks and Master Roshi are the only one to have a new voice. But the new Freezer is pretty bad, he sounds strange.
Sounds similar to Chris Ayres to me.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:07 pm

It's not clear, but the article I linked to earlier in the thread mentioned something about the original voice actor "not being cooperative despite all our efforts." It sounds like they tried to bring him in and it didn't work out for unknown reasons. Roshi's original actor didn't come back only due to unspecified health issues, and was replaced not only for RoF, but also for the remaining episodes of Kai (he was one of the two original DBZ actors who did come back for Kai, and now even he's gone).

Trunks has also been replaced. Other than that, literally the entire original DBZ German dub cast is back...for RoF, at least. No word on the remaining episodes of Kai. But hey, it could happen. The vast majority of the original cast of the Latino Spanish dub of DBZ, who were dismissed for Kai, came back for the two new movies and will be coming back for the (so far unreleased) dub of the Buu arc.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Honestly though, Future Trunks is only in a flashback scene for a couple of seconds, so it's okay they didn't call the old voice actor back.

Damian0358

Post by Damian0358 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 am

Kaze announced two months ago that they had licensed the Boo Saga for the German dub, and that the box sets would come out starting in spring of this year, with Box 7 coming out on the 31st of March. Coinciding with this, last month Pro7 MAXX revealed that it would be showing the very same saga on the channel in 2017. I would suspect that it would start airing once the reruns of episodes 43 to 98 are done after the current run is finished (which was today), meaning at earliest it should start airing on the 13th of April.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am

German TV broadcast of The Final Chapters started today on ProSieben MAXX and it's using Japanese episode title cards and credits:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Also, for some strange reason, the colors on the logo are a little off:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]