The German DBZ Kai dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Re: The German DBZ Kai dub

Post by Javaki » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:13 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: They may not have necessarily received the Japanese footage. I mean, they may have, don't get me wrong, but there is another possible explanation. In FUNimation's home video release of Kai, the first episode still has the original Japanese show title (and Japanese text), "Dragon Ball Kai," only to switch to the revised "Dragon Ball Z Kai" title and text for every episode afterwords. What about the episodes after the first one?
The second episode (that aired today) also used the Japanese logo (in the opening, eyecatch and the next episode preview), Japanese credits (in the opening and ending) and Japanese episode titles (for the episode itself and the next episode preview). The “Akira Toriyama Original Cut Version” pre-title card was also shown again.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Javaki wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote: They may not have necessarily received the Japanese footage. I mean, they may have, don't get me wrong, but there is another possible explanation. In FUNimation's home video release of Kai, the first episode still has the original Japanese show title (and Japanese text), "Dragon Ball Kai," only to switch to the revised "Dragon Ball Z Kai" title and text for every episode afterwords. What about the episodes after the first one?
The second episode (that aired today) also used the Japanese logo (in the opening, eyecatch and the next episode preview), Japanese credits (in the opening and ending) and Japanese episode titles (for the episode itself and the next episode preview). The “Akira Toriyama Original Cut Version” pre-title card was also shown again.
Well I'll be damned, they did get their materials directly from Japan!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: The German DBZ Kai dub trailer is here...

Post by Cetra » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Javaki wrote:Jürgen Seebeck, the guy who did the German translation for the Dragon Ball manga back in 1997, is also doing the German translation for Kai. Kazé posted a short video message from him today (you can see some lines of the Japanese script for Kai's episode 30 at the end of the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHnKBC6A6o

Seebeck's Dragon Ball Z "TV Anime Comic" translations from 2008 were more faithful to the original than his initial manga translation, so I guess Kai's translation will definitely be a lot closer to the original compared to the German TV dubs for Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, which were -as far as I know- all based on French translations.
Which is very weird, because, despite some deliberate changes to make it funnier or because it was not cared enough about it, the German manga was already translated pretty well. It was not just done by Jürgen Seebeck but also by his wife, Junko Iwamoto-Seebeck.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Javaki wrote:Toei Animation Europe announced last week that the German free-to-air TV channel ProSieben MAXX acquired the TV rights for Dragon Ball Kai. ProSieben MAXX confirmed yesterday via twitter and facebook that the first 46 episodes of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai will be broadcast weekdays at 3.35pm, beginning on Monday (16 November 2015). More episodes are expected to follow in mid-2016.

This is a nice opportunity for me to check out the new dub, as I didn't buy Kaze's blu-rays. (I already have Funimation's discs to watch the show in Japanese and don't really care about dubs anymore :D )
Only saw it now. Great news, german-speaking countries were the last major euro market that still didn't caught up on Kai in TV.

Now I wonder how long will it take for Buu Kai, let alone Super. It only aird in French TV so far as far as I know

Frieza1232

Post by Frieza1232 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:50 am

I like the German Kai dub so far, not so bad! And yeah, the script is quite close to the original, really not so bad!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:32 am

I saw the trailer and I was amazed that Florian Hoffman's Vegeta sounds like a mix of Santiago Ziesmer and Oliver Siebeck.

Saiyan-Over

Post by Saiyan-Over » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 pm

I saw the first 55 episodes of Drago ball z kai with the german dub, and yes the dub ist really bad. Obviously ist a low budget dub from kazé, and this is one of the badest dragon ball dubs that i've ever heard. Goku sounds like a kid, and the voice actor can not scream, it sounds like a voice break. The voice actors of vegeta and piccolo sounds also very unfitting, krillin, gohan and chi chi sounds like a bad fandub.
The german dbz dub was not perfect, but it was a very powerful dub with good voice actors, but the kai dub now is really really bad, and 90 % of the fans hates the Kai dub.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:57 pm

How do you know 90% of the fans hate it? Did you do a Poll? If its true, I do sympathize. Our Kai dub was really bad too.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Saiyan-Over

Post by Saiyan-Over » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:00 pm

It´s only a supposition, but every post on Facebook, and every video has more dislikes and hate comments than likes ore positive comments. kaze has a few month ago announced that they would use the new voice actors also for dbz resurrection of f, but there was such a big shitstorm that they change her mind after two weeks, and now they use the old cast. And thats why i think (90%/most) of the fans hate the Kai dub, you read nothing positive about the dub.
The dubbing studio which make the dub, is a really bad studio, and the dialog script ist pretty bad too.
In my opinion it is one of the badest german anime dubs in the last years.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Doesn't the german kai dub at least deal with scenes cut in the german dbz dub due to the french censorship?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Saiyan-Over wrote:It´s only a supposition, but every post on Facebook, and every video has more dislikes and hate comments than likes ore positive comments. kaze has a few month ago announced that they would use the new voice actors also for dbz resurrection of f, but there was such a big shitstorm that they change her mind after two weeks, and now they use the old cast. And thats why i think (90%/most) of the fans hate the Kai dub, you read nothing positive about the dub.
The dubbing studio which make the dub, is a really bad studio, and the dialog script ist pretty bad too.
A bit off topic... Who do you think will dub DB super?

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Have you guys been following Kazé the past few months? They had decided that the new group of voice actors (DBKAI) would be voicing in Dragon Ball RoF. Fans went crazy and a few days later, Kazé made a new announcement.. and voila, the new voice actors were replaced by the old ones. :D Thank God for that, Tommy Morgenstern is Goku for me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Is Resurrection F dubbed in German already? Is it going to be shown just now or was it shown already?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Saiyan-Over

Post by Saiyan-Over » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:47 pm

sangofe wrote:
Saiyan-Over wrote:It´s only a supposition, but every post on Facebook, and every video has more dislikes and hate comments than likes ore positive comments. kaze has a few month ago announced that they would use the new voice actors also for dbz resurrection of f, but there was such a big shitstorm that they change her mind after two weeks, and now they use the old cast. And thats why i think (90%/most) of the fans hate the Kai dub, you read nothing positive about the dub.
I think if toei animation europe take on the dub , like sailor moon crystal and one piece in germany, they take the old voice actors. Kazé have only bought dragon ball z kai, because the tv station YEP! has submitted the license, kaze does not have enough money to buy the super license.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Is Resurrection F dubbed in German already? Is it going to be shown just now or was it shown already?
In september comes the movie to the cinema, in 3D :D. Sadly Freezer and master roshi get the voice actors of kai (thanks Kazé :? ). And trunks scream is voiced by Amadeus Strobl (Goku) and his screams a really bad...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm super glad its coming to you guys, and with the old voices too!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Is Resurrection F dubbed in German already? Is it going to be shown just now or was it shown already?
In september comes the movie to the cinema, in 3D :D. Sadly Freezer and master roshi get the voice actors of kai (thanks Kazé :? ). And trunks scream is voiced by Amadeus Strobl (Goku) and his screams a really bad...[/quote]

I guess Sebastian Schulz wasn't able at the time of the recording or he refused due to low payment.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:20 am

From this Google-translated article, it sounds like the two members of the original cast that won't be returning for the German dub of RoF won't be returning for different reasons.

That article makes it sound like the original Freeza, Thomas Nero Wolff, was contacted but chose not to "cooperate," assuming Google has translated this accurately (Kaze's wording, at least from this translation, strongly suggests a, "Please guys, we tried our best"-attitude about the situation). Conversely, it says that the original voice actor for Master Roshi, Karl Schulz--one of only two of the original German DBZ dub cast members to return for Kai as well (and also return for BoG)--will not be involved only because he has unspecified health issues. Whatever it is, I hope he gets better! In any event, he has been replaced by Thomas Kastner, who apparently will also be taking over the role of Roshi going forward with the German dub of Kai.

Considering that Universum Anime got the rights to dub BoG, I figured they'd get the German dubbing rights for RoF as well. Interesting to learn that they didn't.

I feel bad for the new cast members because it sounds like German fans channeled a lot of their hate over the behind-the-scenes situation onto the actors, and that's not fair because they didn't have anything to do with the decision to re-cast the roles. On the other hand, I think it's awesome that Kaze changed their mind because of the fans. I think some companies have a tendency to think, "It doesn't matter who the voice actors are, it's not like people care about such things," but this proves that fans do care, and that they cared powerfully enough to cause a dramatic change of plans.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:33 am

I just realized that my post about Kazé and RoF was already mentioned by Saiyan-Over, my apologies.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:From this Google-translated article, it sounds like the two members of the original cast that won't be returning for the German dub of RoF won't be returning for different reasons.

Considering that Universum Anime got the rights to dub BoG, I figured they'd get the German dubbing rights for RoF as well. Interesting to learn that they didn't.

I feel bad for the new cast members because it sounds like German fans channeled a lot of their hate over the behind-the-scenes situation onto the actors, and that's not fair because they didn't have anything to do with the decision to re-cast the roles. On the other hand, I think it's awesome that Kaze changed their mind because of the fans. I think some companies have a tendency to think, "It doesn't matter who the voice actors are, it's not like people care about such things," but this proves that fans do care, and that they cared powerfully enough to cause a dramatic change of plans.
Oh, that's why they decided to go with the new voice actors at first. I was pretty confused as for why the old voice actors dubbed BoG and suddenly, the new ones would be dubbing RoF. Makes sense now.
Saiyan-Over wrote:
sangofe wrote:
I think if toei animation europe take on the dub , like sailor moon crystal and one piece in germany, they take the old voice actors. Kazé have only bought dragon ball z kai, because the tv station YEP! has submitted the license, kaze does not have enough money to buy the super license.
In september comes the movie to the cinema, in 3D :D. Sadly Freezer and master roshi get the voice actors of kai (thanks Kazé :? ). And trunks scream is voiced by Amadeus Strobl (Goku) and his screams a really bad...
Damn man, I hope you're right. I can't wait for DBS to be dubbed in German, but it's just not the same without the old voice acotrs, so hopefully Kazé won't get the rights to DBS.

Saiyan-Over

Post by Saiyan-Over » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:46 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:From this Google-translated article, it sounds like the two members of the original cast that won't be returning for the German dub of RoF won't be returning for different reasons.

That article makes it sound like the original Freeza, Thomas Nero Wolff, was contacted but chose not to "cooperate," assuming Google has translated this accurately (Kaze's wording, at least from this translation, strongly suggests a, "Please guys, we tried our best"-attitude about the situation). Conversely, it says that the original voice actor for Master Roshi, Karl Schulz--one of only two of the original German DBZ dub cast members to return for Kai as well (and also return for BoG)--will not be involved only because he has unspecified health issues. Whatever it is, I hope he gets better! In any event, he has been replaced by Thomas Kastner, who apparently will also be taking over the role of Roshi going forward with the German dub of Kai.

It was no fair that Kaze change the cast, now we already know more. The tv station yep! originally the series shown and all of the old voice actors should come back , but then has kaze the purchased license and the most dubs by Kaze are pretty bad , depending on which dubbing studio they take. They have simply replaced all the voice actors and only one
few are left . Most of the new voice actors are inexperienced and you can her that. Especially goku is really bad, the voice actor voiced most of the time kids an teenager, when he screamed it sounds like he puke :(

kaze had no chance, as their opinion to change again , they could not stand the pressure of the fans hold , and the prices were burgled. kaze is quite unpopular by the anime fans in germany , because many of their releases are an impudence, they release dragon ball gt in the totally consored tv version, 13 episodes were not included and only two episodes were uncut, the japanese dub is also missing, same as with dragon ball and dragon ball z, and for that you pay 50 euro (55$). And now dbz kai is the same shit, with bad voices.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:22 pm

I like the new voices even being fan of the previous German dub. Just don't understand how the fans are so much pissed and got so many dislikes to those videos :/
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88