How much "canon" did DB Kai cut out?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

How much "canon" did DB Kai cut out?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:07 am

I know most of the filler is removed, but I also heard that some scenes that were in the manga were cut from the original anime? Does anyone know what they were and if there were a bunch of them cut out?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: How much "canon" did DB Kai cut out?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:25 am

The only "canon" I recall being altered in any way was from the end of the Cell arc where King Kai, Bubbles, and Gregory were revived along with everyone else wished back by the Dragon Balls in the Kai series finale. This is contrary to both the original anime where the wish only covered just the people on Earth and the manga where King Kai declined revival largely so that he could guide Goku around in Other World.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:53 am

Lord Beerus wrote:The only "canon" I recall being altered in any way was from the end of the Cell arc where King Kai, Bubbles, and Gregory were revived along with everyone else wished back by the Dragon Balls in the Kai series finale. This is contrary to both the original anime where the wish only covered just the people on Earth and the manga where King Kai declined revival largely so that he could guide Goku around in Other World.
So in other words, just a minor change, nothing that hurts the story.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The only "canon" I recall being altered in any way was from the end of the Cell arc where King Kai, Bubbles, and Gregory were revived along with everyone else wished back by the Dragon Balls in the Kai series finale. This is contrary to both the original anime where the wish only covered just the people on Earth and the manga where King Kai declined revival largely so that he could guide Goku around in Other World.
Yeah, pretty much. Other than that, no "canon" as far as I know was cut from Kai.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Vegeta's hypothesis about half-earthling Saiyans possessing increased power was removed, as well as Kuririn's accusation of Piccolo wanting to eat Gohan. Also, the scene of those two wacko gunmen killing an elderly couple in the Boo arc was removed in at least the Japanese broadcast.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Yeah, pretty much. Other than that, no "canon" as far as I know was cut from Kai.
Actually, that's false. The fan-subs mistakenly translated Goku's like into something like "Kaio was brought back to life" instead of something like "I will have Kaio's company here", and at the same scene, Kaio's halo was barely visible because of the color of the sky. Kaio, Bubbles, and Gregory remain dead in Kai, like everywhere.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:15 pm

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:Vegeta's hypothesis about half-earthling Saiyans possessing increased power was removed, as well as Kuririn's accusation of Piccolo wanting to eat Gohan. Also, the scene of those two wacko gunmen killing an elderly couple in the Boo arc was removed in at least the Japanese broadcast.
Which part did Vegeta do a hypothesis?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:22 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Actually, that's false. The fan-subs mistakenly translated Goku's like into something like "Kaio was brought back to life" instead of something like "I will have Kaio's company here", and at the same scene, Kaio's halo was barely visible because of the color of the sky. Kaio, Bubbles, and Gregory remain dead in Kai, like everywhere.
Oh, really? The more you know, I guess. Thanks for the info, DBZGTKOSDH. :)

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:51 pm

Kai cut the scene where Goku reminds Kuririn and Muten Roshi that Kami-Sama said Shenlong cannot grant them the same wish twice. They had already been revived by the Dragon once before.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:30 am

DBZAOTA482 brought this up in another thread:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
They also removed the scene showing why Raditz was struggling to get out of Goku's full nelson, the scene that makes sense of Gohan's insane potential, the scene showing how the Z-Supporters found Goku and the others on the battlefield, a few bits of the argument between Gohan and Chi-Chi about Namek, and the drivers ed episode (which caused a minor plothole since Goku later has a car for some reason).
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:00 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:DBZAOTA482 brought this up in another thread:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
They also removed the scene showing why Raditz was struggling to get out of Goku's full nelson, the scene that makes sense of Gohan's insane potential, the scene showing how the Z-Supporters found Goku and the others on the battlefield, a few bits of the argument between Gohan and Chi-Chi about Namek, and the drivers ed episode (which caused a minor plothole since Goku later has a car for some reason).
I'm just happy no highlights of the series were taken out. All these manga scenes taken out are just little to not important and happen very quickly.
I am also wondering, wasn't the training on Kaio's planet with Piccolo and co. entirely filler? I could have sworn the part when they had to make him laugh wasn't filler??