Were the English dubbed songs necessary?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Were the English dubbed songs necessary?

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:24 am

So we all probably know that in the FUNimation dub of Kai, the opening and endings are dubbed into English. But I was wondering something: Was doing this really necessary for the show's success on Nicktoons? While I love Vic Mignogna's version of Dragon Soul, along with a couple other of the dubbed songs (GINYU FORCE RULES), would the kids who watched this really have cared if the songs were in Japanese or not? After all, they didn't bother dubbing some of the songs in the later half of the series (they didn't even use the dubbed Dragon Soul at the end of episode 98).

Could the dubbed songs' creations have been a decision on Nicktoons' end?
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Re: Were the English dubbed songs necessary?

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:30 am

I don't think that decision was made by Funimation for a more kid-friendly airing on Nicktoons. The dubbed songs are still present on the DVD and Bluray releases, so I doubt they were solely for the Nicktoons broadcast. On the other hand, there are several arrangements of Dragon Soul on the DVD/Bluray release instead of only the Vic Mignogna performance for the Nicktoons broadcast which was intentional. Plus, we've had songs translated and dubbed for other Dragon Ball media, like GT's opening theme Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku. While it makes more sense for the intro and outro songs to be dubbed, I'm not sure the reasoning for translating Ginyu Tokusentai into English. I personally like the Japanese version more than the English version, but it's alright.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:00 am

Necessary? Eh, I don't think so, but I do think it was the right call. In my opinion, it's distracting to hear Japanese songs in an English dub. I don't dislike Japanese songs, I've got a ton of them on my iPod and have no problem hearing them in the original Japanese versions of animes. To hear a Japanese song alongside dialogue that's in a different language, though, is a little distracting. Not distracting enough to ruin the experience by any means, but a little distracting. If you're gonna dub the dialogue, why not dub the songs, you know?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:11 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Necessary? Eh, I don't think so, but I do think it was the right call. In my opinion, it's distracting to hear Japanese songs in an English dub. I don't dislike Japanese songs, I've got a ton of them on my iPod and have no problem hearing them in the original Japanese versions of animes. To hear a Japanese song alongside dialogue that's in a different language, though, is a little distracting. Not distracting enough to ruin the experience by any means, but a little distracting. If you're gonna dub the dialogue, why not dub the songs, you know?
I totally agree with you. But I'm still wondering how most kids today would feel about the Japanese songs being left in.
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 am

Frankly, I'm just sad Sabat never dubbed Saiyan Blood. Would have been fantastic. I also would have loved to hear FUNi dub the full "Ginyu Force Rules" with all the actors singing for their characters, but that one would have just been for fun since it wasn't in Kai.

Do love dubbed music where appropriate. Though FUNi does tend to eventually stop dubbing music in a show at some point or another.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:05 pm

The dubbed intro and ending were a total plus, don't think the insert songs mattered a whole ton but they were definitely a nice touch.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:12 am

I'm really sorry Topic Creator but I dont like the implication that dubbing songs is for kids. Funimation used to dub all their songs for their anime. Even those aimed at adults that would never get a TV like Ouran High School Host Club. And Funimation eventually stopped dubbing songs on Kai so kids did hear Japanese songs on Kai. And kids dont mind Japanese songs at all. Even Disney XD kept Japanese openings for Naruto Shippuden. Dubbing songs was something Funimation used to do. Nothing More and nothing less. Nicktoons didnt force them to.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:58 am

Wasn't "A Chilling Elegy" left undubbed?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:52 am

I said this years ago but if you're going to dub something, why not go all the way (Barring issues with rights and monetary concerns)?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Wasn't "A Chilling Elegy" left undubbed?
Yes. After a while Funimation just gave up with dubbing songs.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:53 pm

I also loved the dubbed version of "Over the Star." I liked it when I heard it on TV, but when somebody was able to extract the song from the DVD release, I friggin' loved it...it gave me chills.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:23 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I also loved the dubbed version of "Over the Star." I liked it when I heard it on TV, but when somebody was able to extract the song from the DVD release, I friggin' loved it...it gave me chills.
That reminds me. Did anyone ever do the same for Ginyu Force Rules? Can't seem to find the English version of that anywhere. You'd think it'd be pretty easy to get.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:01 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I also loved the dubbed version of "Over the Star." I liked it when I heard it on TV, but when somebody was able to extract the song from the DVD release, I friggin' loved it...it gave me chills.
That reminds me. Did anyone ever do the same for Ginyu Force Rules? Can't seem to find the English version of that anywhere. You'd think it'd be pretty easy to get.
I remember someone isolated and extracted Sabat's vocals and uploaded it online. I think the same person also did it with Mignogna's Dan Dan and the ED for GT but they were taken down.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)