My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: My Experience Watching Dragon Ball Z Kai

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed May 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote: All of this stuff pretty much plays out the same. I guess the Z dub was fairly accurate during these particular episodes, because I don't notice any major differences, aside from the lack of added dialog at points, most notable when Gohan snaps.
I dont think so, i think this is the reason for that. "Long story short, though, J. Michael Tatum, who wrote most of the show's dub scripts up until the conclusion of the Freeza arc, didn't handle the scripts for most of the Cell arc, and it seems there was a slight step down in accuracy."
Why exactly did this happen? Cause honestly what irritates me more than about anything is the reversion of several attack names.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed May 04, 2016 3:50 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote: All of this stuff pretty much plays out the same. I guess the Z dub was fairly accurate during these particular episodes, because I don't notice any major differences, aside from the lack of added dialog at points, most notable when Gohan snaps.
I dont think so, i think this is the reason for that. "Long story short, though, J. Michael Tatum, who wrote most of the show's dub scripts up until the conclusion of the Freeza arc, didn't handle the scripts for most of the Cell arc, and it seems there was a slight step down in accuracy."
Why exactly did this happen? Cause honestly what irritates me more than about anything is the reversion of several attack names.
No official reason was ever given. However, it is a hellishly long process to prepare a dub script, even if it's just for a single episode (I mean, it's hellishly long if you're doing it right). Unfortunately, you can't just take the English translation and say, "that's the script." It wouldn't match the lip movements, and would force the actors to deliver their lines in very awkward ways in order to match the lip movements. So dub script writers have to not only look at the original translation, but go line-by-line, character-by-character (including bit parts and crowd/walla), watch the footage, count the lip movements, and come up with rephrased versions of the English translation that will work with the lip movements. And if that weren't enough, they have to write the script in an Excel spreadsheet-like format, noting precise time codes for when lips begin moving.

Combine that with the stress of having to make TV network deadlines, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they just tried to lighten the workload by giving different dub writers different batches of episodes. It's possible that not all of them had the same notes available to them, which would explain the reverted attack names.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 04, 2016 4:12 pm

That's really interesting. So often we're in the dark about theses issues, and while it doesn't make the episodes any better, it certainly takes the sting off to know the "why". It does for me anyway.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed May 04, 2016 4:37 pm

ABED wrote:That's really interesting. So often we're in the dark about theses issues, and while it doesn't make the episodes any better, it certainly takes the sting off to know the "why". It does for me anyway.
Oh, dude, I have way more sympathy for dubbing companies than I did even a few years ago, now that I know what goes into preparing a dub. Like you said, it doesn't necessarily make the episodes better--people can pour their hearts and souls into doing a good job and still come up short--but I used to think that a lack of effort and a lack of caring were the two biggest problems in adapting a dub, and the vast majority of the time, that's just not true. Misdirected efforts, perhaps, but it's extremely rare that the problem is a lack of effort.

It never stops, either. I have learned that it's not at all uncommon for scripts to be re-written even during the recording sessions. Usually the rewrites aren't major, but in my sessions and in other actor's sessions, there have been times where the lines still weren't quite matching the lip movements, and we would try certain little tricks to adjust that (like, for example, if a line was one syllable too long, shortening the words "can not" to "can't").

The good news is, technological improvements have allowed for the work to be done at a much faster pace. Back in "the day," writers had to watch the footage on tape, and getting the video to pause at the exact moment you needed it to pause at so that you could note a precise time code used to be impossible. Nowadays, that's much simpler to do. Furthermore, since scripts are not printed anymore, and instead shown on a separate monitor that takes the place of a script stand, those in-session rewrites can be done remotely, with the director going into the Excel sheet on their computer in the mixing room and typing in the changes, with the actor seeing the changes occurring on their script monitor in real time.

Similarly, if an actor blew a take, it was an extremely laborious process to get the tape to rewind to the proper spot, and now that can be done at the push of a button. Chris Sabat joked that back when they were still using tape, it took so long for the tape to rewind to the proper spot and to get all the technical equipment set up that, in between takes, you could take a cigarette break if you wanted. :lol:

He also said that they had no way of researching the storyline or characters, and many dubbing companies just sort of had to figure out who the characters were and what the story was as they got the episodes. Sabat said that the greatest gift he has ever been given as a director was the internet, because it allowed him to research the shows he was directing, and that's something he couldn't previously do. I wouldn't be surprised if he's keeping careful track of what's happening in Super right now for when the inevitable Super dub rolls around.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 04, 2016 4:48 pm

He also said that they had no way of researching the storyline or characters
I found that a little hard to believe in regard to DBZ. Granted the internet was in its infancy, but there were still sites and places they could research the series. Other than that, I find things like the stuff you mentioned really interesting. I wonder how much different season 3 would've been had they been given the same philosophy of how to adapt the show, but had the resource they do now.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue May 31, 2016 6:30 am

Ok, so now I've finally finished DBZ Kai I its entirety. I predicted that I'd finish Cell before Buu Kai was announced, and I was correct.

-Episode 96 has that weird recap I heard about. It goes on for nearly 2 minutes and has no narration. This was apparently done to fill time to make up for the last minute removals of any earthquake related scenes.
-Yamcha wants to get a necklace for a lady friend, huh. Z dub just had him suggesting they wish for a bunch of money. :lol:
-Episode 97 having Dragon Soul playing is pretty fitting and marks a great near-end. It's left in Japanese, probably because of the rushed production.
-Episode 98 ends with a new montage covering events only seen in Z, as well as a flashback montage covering Raditz to Cell, all set to Dragon Soul. :D

I gotta say, I really enjoy Kai overall. It won't ever replace Z for me, but it's great to have both! Now, I'm all caught up, so I'll guess I'll join the Buu waiting game like everyone else...
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:56 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: I gotta say, I really enjoy Kai overall. It won't ever replace Z for me, but it's great to have both! Now, I'm all caught up, so I'll guess I'll join the Buu waiting game like everyone else...
Welcome to the club! You're lucky bro. Some of the people here have been waiting for years! :lol: But in all seriousness, what scenes did you like more in Kai and what scenes did you like more in the original/remastered Funimation dub?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 am

If you're a dub-only fan, Kai is absolutely the right choice for you. Z dub is atrocious.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:If you're a dub-only fan, Kai is absolutely the right choice for you. Z dub is atrocious.
WE GET IT YOU DON'T LIKE THE DUB

I mean, I don't either (even though I was raised on it, weaned on its edits and replacement score), but at some point you should realize that hammering that point home just makes you sound like a broken record.
Valerius Dover wrote:Now, I'm all caught up, so I'll guess I'll join the Buu waiting game like everyone else...
It'll come eventually...probably...hopefully...maybe...
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Ok, so now I've finally finished DBZ Kai I its entirety. I predicted that I'd finish Cell before Buu Kai was announced, and I was correct.

-Episode 96 has that weird recap I heard about. It goes on for nearly 2 minutes and has no narration. This was apparently done to fill time to make up for the last minute removals of any earthquake related scenes.
-Yamcha wants to get a necklace for a lady friend, huh. Z dub just had him suggesting they wish for a bunch of money. :lol:
-Episode 97 having Dragon Soul playing is pretty fitting and marks a great near-end. It's left in Japanese, probably because of the rushed production.
-Episode 98 ends with a new montage covering events only seen in Z, as well as a flashback montage covering Raditz to Cell, all set to Dragon Soul. :D

I gotta say, I really enjoy Kai overall. It won't ever replace Z for me, but it's great to have both! Now, I'm all caught up, so I'll guess I'll join the Buu waiting game like everyone else...
Awesome, man! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Personally, I really do love Kai over Z simply for the pacing (still love Z, but it really drags at times). Might I suggest that since we're presumably going to be waiting for a while for Boo Kai that you go ahead and start on that Japanese watchthrough of the franchise you were talking about doing after finishing the dub? I'm not saying start right away because you have a life and other shows and stuff; I'm just saying don't hold off on it on Boo Kai's account. That way you can get caught up for Super a lot sooner assuming that Boo Kai doesn't come out in the US until early next year on Toonami.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:39 am

metamoss wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:If you're a dub-only fan, Kai is absolutely the right choice for you. Z dub is atrocious.
WE GET IT YOU DON'T LIKE THE DUB

I mean, I don't either (even though I was raised on it, weaned on its edits and replacement score), but at some point you should realize that hammering that point home just makes you sound like a broken record.
What the fuck, man? All i'm saying is - Funimation redeemed themselves with Kai, Bog and RoF dubs and only if you're blinded with nostalgia, you'll say that Z dub was good.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:42 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:What the fuck, man? All i'm saying is - Funimation redeemed themselves with Kai, Bog and RoF dubs and only if you're blinded with nostalgia, you'll say that Z dub was good.
I'm not taking issue with what you said, just that, in my time lurking around here, I've noticed you repeat your distaste for the dub and the superiority of Kai's dub quite a bit. I'm not even mad about it, I just found it amusing. In hindsight, I really didn't indicate I was trying to have a bit of a sarcastic tone there. I was sorta referencing this classic DBZ Abridged joke, but take it as you will.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:46 pm

To answer a question here, I'm mixed about certain scenes and how they're handled. I ended up preferring some for Z and others for Kai. And I haven't ruled out seeing it in Japanese, I will at some point.

I'd rather not get into specifics here, to be honest. I'm more likely to talk about opinions on certain scenes in the Skype room instead. I'm a regular there.

I'd rather there not be some kind of fight in here.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:To answer a question here, I'm mixed about certain scenes and how they're handled. I ended up preferring some for Z and others for Kai. And I haven't ruled out seeing it in Japanese, I will at some point.

I'd rather not get into specifics here, to be honest. I'm more likely to talk about opinions on certain scenes in the Skype room instead. I'm a regular there.

I'd rather there not be some kind of fight in here.
Sorry. I won't try to start anything else here.

I'm curious on what sort of scenes you think were done better back in Z and the ones you think Kai improved.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:18 pm

I enjoyed reading your reactions to Kai. I'm a lifelong 31 year old Dragon ball fan, and find Kai refreshing and it's pace more in line with my old man patience. I love the original Z, but fell in love with the new dub, and quicker pace. I also enjoy the 4:3 blu-rays, which you still can not get DBZ 4:3 in HD.

It feels like an eternity waiting for Buu Kai. When the international and Japanese versions were announced, I was SURE that the funi dub would be coming in 6 months, or a year....or two. Here we are. I do expect it to start by beginning of 2017, but at this point, who knows. There is too much leaked information and too much work put in, regarding all the dubbing NOT to release it.

It is one of the worst kept secrets, but none the less, we continue to wait. Most people seem to think it will air after this run of kai on network finishes the cell arc, but even that at this point is wishful thinking. Then, even after it airs, I have to wait month after month for the home releases.

I'd actually take the Buu Kai Blu-ray's before Super if I had to choose. Right now I feel incomplete. Super will come..eventually too....I hope!!!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:09 am

metamoss wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:What the fuck, man? All i'm saying is - Funimation redeemed themselves with Kai, Bog and RoF dubs and only if you're blinded with nostalgia, you'll say that Z dub was good.
I'm not taking issue with what you said, just that, in my time lurking around here, I've noticed you repeat your distaste for the dub and the superiority of Kai's dub quite a bit. I'm not even mad about it, I just found it amusing. In hindsight, I really didn't indicate I was trying to have a bit of a sarcastic tone there. I was sorta referencing this classic DBZ Abridged joke, but take it as you will.
I'm a 100% original-Japanese only-English subs fan, but even dub fans can see that Z dub was terrible and that Kai improved massively!

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:35 pm

I tried to watch Kai again recently but couldn't. There is many things bothering me but my biggest turn-off is probably the music. Sorry if this is a silly question but, is there a version with original soundtrack for Kai?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:39 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:I tried to watch Kai again recently but couldn't. There is many things bothering me but my biggest turn-off is probably the music. Sorry if this is a silly question but, is there a version with original soundtrack for Kai?
You could probably find some episodes online. Also, what were some of the other turn-offs you mentioned? Do you simply dislike Kikuchi or is it just how his music is used in Kai?

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:08 pm

The episodes online I found have the new music, is why I wonder if there is a version with original. There is two main reasons for me not liking the new music, the first one is I think most of the time is just not fitting, and other one is I love the original music to the point I find it cult.

The other turn-offs I have with Kai are the voice acting which changed, not that I find it bad but I take the original over it any day of the week (I'm talking JAP actors ofc), also the colors, I prefer the darker tone, finally all the scenes that were scrapped, I know some people consider them as fillers but to me they contribute to the charm. Still I wanted to give it another shot but the music really ruins it for me.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:49 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote: The other turn-offs I have with Kai are the voice acting which changed, not that I find it bad but I take the original over it any day of the week (I'm talking JAP actors ofc), also the colors, I prefer the darker tone, finally all the scenes that were scrapped, I know some people consider them as fillers but to me they contribute to the charm. Still I wanted to give it another shot but the music really ruins it for me.
Oh, I thought you were saying you don't like Kikuchi. All the official releases contain the original score but it's a bit botched. Many tracks from other arcs are played where they aren't supposed to be played. I personally don't mind it and I prefer it over Yamamoto. The new score was wiped out from all releases when it was discovered that it was plagiarized music. As a result, they quickly just grabbed random Kikuchi tracks and replaced the new score with those. The new Kikuchi placements can get really repetitive but they are some good placements here and there.