Do they say "Genki dama" in the dub ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Do they say "Genki dama" in the dub ?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:55 am

Hello all, so today I was watching Kai dubbed and I noticed something they said "Kienzan" and so I thought do they say "Genkai dama" ? Also what other attacks names did they change ? I know they removed solar flare and "special beam cannon".
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Do they say "Genki dama" in the dub ?

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:17 am

Nope I am pretty sure they always used Spirit Bomb sadly even in Kai.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:59 am

Damn it. Do they still say tri beam ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:55 am

Tri-Beam is still used. Solar Flare returns during the Freeza arc (I believe, anyway; for sure it's used in the Cell arc), Distructo Disc also makes a return down the line and Special Beam Cannon as well, I think. Unless I'm forgetting something, everything else is the original names all throughout Kai.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:12 am

Daisetsu wrote:Tri-Beam is still used. Solar Flare returns during the Freeza arc (I believe, anyway; for sure it's used in the Cell arc), Distructo Disc also makes a return down the line and Special Beam Cannon as well, I think. Unless I'm forgetting something, everything else is the original names all throughout Kai.
Oddly enough, the original Z dub actually used Kienzan at one point in the Cell Saga

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:50 pm

Daisetsu wrote:Tri-Beam is still used. Solar Flare returns during the Freeza arc (I believe, anyway; for sure it's used in the Cell arc), Distructo Disc also makes a return down the line and Special Beam Cannon as well, I think. Unless I'm forgetting something, everything else is the original names all throughout Kai.
Well in the episode I was watching krillin said "taiyo-ken" so if they stopped using it :thumbdown: but you know that really sucks, I'm not asking for a dub too say "ha-chan" or Jinzo Ningen" but saying stuff like tenshinhan and spelling fre(I)za like freeza would be nice.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:22 pm

I never minded "Spirit Bomb", it's just an embellished translation/adaptation choice, but once that at least retains the meaning of the original attack, unlike say... Special Beam Cannon or Tri-Beam.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Yeah I've never had a huge problem with it but if you're going say Kienzen why not go all out and use all the original names.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:28 pm

soppa saia people wrote:Yeah I've never had a huge problem with it but if you're going say Kienzen why not go all out and use all the original names.
Maybe they couldn't due to mouth flaps? I know it caused problems with Beerus and that they had to call him Destroyer and not God of Destruction so maybe something similar happened here and they decided to just stick with Spirit Bomb.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:32 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Oddly enough, the original Z dub actually used Kienzan at one point in the Cell Saga
Did it? I remember Freeza calling his energy discs Kienzan when he was fighting Super Saiyan Goku in the original Z dub, but I don't remember that name popping up in the Cell saga at all.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:35 pm

I remember hearing that something similar happend with Tenshinhan's name and that's why they called him tie[n] in the dub, don't know if thats true or not. But mouth flaps are a possibility that I've never thought of.

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:44 pm

I don't think mouth flaps are really an issue at all, or at least not Pre-Kai where all the dialog was totally rewritten. As for the attack names, not sure why they're inconsistent with it in Kai. As for our favorite descendant of the three-eyed people, however, it seems to be a case of them wanting to shorten the name to make it roll off the tongue easier.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:26 pm

They really should have called him Ten Shinhan

๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ธ

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:05 pm

I thought the approach with Kai attack names by and large was to remain consistent with the Dragon Ball dub, and return some new attacks to their original Japanese names.

The Kikouhou appears in Dragon Ball as "Tri-Beam," hence it being kept.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Did it? I remember Freeza calling his energy discs Kienzan when he was fighting Super Saiyan Goku in the original Z dub, but I don't remember that name popping up in the Cell saga at all.
Yeah it was only once though. I think it was when Perfect Cell was fighting Gohan, and when he uses the attack, he says "Kienzan Disk." I'll try to find the exact clip, it was strange since it was never said before or after that.

EDIT: Nevermind, guess I was wrong. I just checked the scene and he says Destrutco Disk. I coulda sworn he said Kienzan one time though last time I rewatched the Cell Saga

Lucio

Post by Lucio » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Did it? I remember Freeza calling his energy discs Kienzan when he was fighting Super Saiyan Goku in the original Z dub, but I don't remember that name popping up in the Cell saga at all.[/quote]

Yeah it was only once though. I think it was when Perfect Cell was fighting Gohan, and when he uses the attack, he says "Kienzan Disk." I'll try to find the exact clip, it was strange since it was never said before or after that.

EDIT: Nevermind, guess I was wrong. I just checked the scene and he says Destrutco Disk. I coulda sworn he said Kienzan one time though last time I rewatched the Cell Saga[/quote]

Actually you're right, cell says kienzan disk when he's fighting goku https://youtu.be/G3qThJ_9090?t=30m30s