Would you mind a replacement score for the Kai 2.0 dub?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Would you mind a replacement score for the Kai 2.0 dub?

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:11 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:Kikuchi and Yamamoto <3 ill take either.
Yes. I'd wholeheartedly take either too but for an official release, the Kikuchi score with all of its tunes from the Majin Boo arc and not just some selective ones as Toei did for Kai 1.0 because they were in stereo or something. Stereo quality sure is better but restricting from having vast variety doesn't help either. :|

darkerspare

Post by darkerspare » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:42 am

I'm waiting for a fan placement with Faulconer. I'm sure someone will do it. Buu Saga and Faulconer studios music will always go hand in hand for me.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:49 pm

It would honestly depend on who. If they brought back Faulconer or some other terrible synthrokk guy then it would be even worse but if they just recycled Kikuchi BGMs like they should have been doing for the whole series then it would be amazing again. Why did they even have to make a replacement score for Kai anyways?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:11 pm

floofychan333 wrote:It would honestly depend on who. If they brought back Faulconer or some other terrible synthrokk guy then it would be even worse but if they just recycled Kikuchi BGMs like they should have been doing for the whole series then it would be amazing again. Why did they even have to make a replacement score for Kai anyways?
Because much of the work by Kai's original composer (Yamamoto) was plagiarized, and the Kikuchi placement wasn't made for Kai, it was reused existing pieces.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:23 pm

There was actually a few tunes I enjoyed in the first episode or two of Boo Kai (I haven't watched it in Japanese) on Toonami. There was nothing I really didn't enjoy, either. Whatever didn't really sound great was pretty much just there. I didn't notice it really. Some would say that it's just as bad if the music is that forgettable, but I have a huge bias toward the Japanese BGM from Z so that might be a big part of it.

If the music got changed again, I wouldn't really care.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:It would honestly depend on who. If they brought back Faulconer or some other terrible synthrokk guy then it would be even worse but if they just recycled Kikuchi BGMs like they should have been doing for the whole series then it would be amazing again. Why did they even have to make a replacement score for Kai anyways?
Because much of the work by Kai's original composer (Yamamoto) was plagiarized, and the Kikuchi placement wasn't made for Kai, it was reused existing pieces.
I meant why did they have to replace Kikuchi with Yamamoto in the first place.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:53 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
I think they most likely changed the music to give it a more modern feel. Kai was marketed as being a fresh, new version of Z meant to be easily accessible to newer audiences. Same thing with the openings and endings.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
I think they most likely changed the music to give it a more modern feel. Kai was marketed as being a fresh, new version of Z meant to be easily accessible to newer audiences. Same thing with the openings and endings.
Why would you water down something brilliant just to be more modern?

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:06 am

floofychan333 wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
Why would you water down something brilliant just to be more modern?
A different score doesn't really count as watering down. Really, the quality of the score is subjective and not really related to this line of thought. Obviously, they didn't see it as watering down. Once the scandal happened, they then had no choice but to relicense whatever tracks they could from the original and stick them in there for the sake of having something. Doesn't matter anymore, since the Yamamoto score is gone now anyway.

Just saying that opinion doesn't equate to fact. Not really reflecting my own opinion, though. In fact, the only Kai sets I own are the ones with Kikuchi on them, the Seasons.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:37 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
In other words they did everything they could other than to reanimate the actual show lol.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:28 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
Also because the original voices and music were in mono, which doesn't fly in syndicated media anymore. That's why the voices were redone too.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:03 am

DefinitiveDubs wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
Also because the original voices and music were in mono, which doesn't fly in syndicated media anymore. That's why the voices were redone too.
That and the fact that the original voices only survive on mono audio tracks along with the music and SFX, so it was impossible to isolate the voices in order to make a recut of the series with different music placements.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm

MagicBox wrote:As much as I dislike Sumitomo's music in Kai and Super, the show is the show is the show is the show. Dubs shouldn't go around replacing random things within the show to make it "better." The show should give viewers the exact same experience no matter which language they're watching it in (within reason, of course). If you replace the music, it's an entirely different experience.

Unfortunately, we just have to accept that a show we like has crappy music. It happens. We'll just have to try our luck with another show someday.

Hell, maybe we need a third TV show for Sumitomo to finally finish "warming up" and give us something worth listening to.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Part of the appeal dragon ball had in the 90s (aside from the action) was the appeal with modernized/American music. It's not what you like, but it definitely wasn't an issue back in the day.

It wasn't until everyone started watching other animes that they developed this opinion of Faulconer dub being lame.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:49 pm

dragonballgeek wrote: It wasn't until everyone started watching other animes that they developed this opinion of Faulconer dub being lame.
What are you talking about? The Faulconer score was literally being criticized and developing a negative opinion of it since it's first inclusion in an episode back in 1999. This is including people who only watched DBZ and nothing else.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:23 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:It wasn't until everyone started watching other animes that they developed this opinion of Faulconer dub being lame.
That's just not true. It was widely disliked from the time it premiered, and didn't achieve widespread popularity until the generation just before mine. That goes for both the score and the dub, and they were rightfully disliked, because neither were coordinated well at all. They went back and improved it a bit once the Orange Bricks came, but everyone's inexperience is still not only visible, but sticks out like a sore thumb.
Retired.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu May 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:It wasn't until everyone started watching other animes that they developed this opinion of Faulconer dub being lame.
but everyone's inexperience is still not only visible, but sticks out like a sore thumb.
To you, yes. To everybody in general, no. Big difference there.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:30 am

Speaking of Faulconer, I wonder how long it's going to take before The Final Chapters gets the Music Revival treatment with both Faulconer and Kikuchi's scores...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri May 05, 2017 7:54 am

dragonballgeek wrote:
MagicBox wrote:As much as I dislike Sumitomo's music in Kai and Super, the show is the show is the show is the show. Dubs shouldn't go around replacing random things within the show to make it "better." The show should give viewers the exact same experience no matter which language they're watching it in (within reason, of course). If you replace the music, it's an entirely different experience.

Unfortunately, we just have to accept that a show we like has crappy music. It happens. We'll just have to try our luck with another show someday.

Hell, maybe we need a third TV show for Sumitomo to finally finish "warming up" and give us something worth listening to.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Part of the appeal dragon ball had in the 90s (aside from the action) was the appeal with modernized/American music. It's not what you like, but it definitely wasn't an issue back in the day.

It wasn't until everyone started watching other animes that they developed this opinion of Faulconer dub being lame.
It probably wasn't a big issue to kids back in the day. Kids watched it because of the action and its characters. And because it was awesome. I don't think they watched it because of Faulconer or Shuki levy. Some might of. I just don't think the reason(or one of the reasons) dbz become popular in America was because of its replaced modernized American music. Dbz would have been just as popular with the Kikuchi score.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Well, if Ocean Kai is sucessful and has Buu Kai dubbed... Maybe we'll get that!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 pm

I'm a big fan of Sumitomo and(I think most would agree) the placement for Kai TFC doesn't do him justice.
Something I've been meaning to to when I get the time is edit the music placment of Kai TFC and update with some of Sumitomo's Super soundtracks.
Heres an example I have on me atm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocVFCx4 ... e=youtu.be