Japanese Kai underrated?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bagginses
Banned

Re: Japanese Kai underrated?

Post by Bagginses » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:55 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:I was talking about voice acting, jpn Z is legendary in that regard. And Kai is faaar from perfect, the Saiyan Arc cuts out a lot of stuff (anime version of that arc is superior to the manga) and on the other hand you got the mess that is Boo Kai.
Oh, then I don't know what to say, because I can't evaluate the quality of the voice acting in either of the versions (since I have never paid much attention to it). Regardless, story-wise, I think Kai is better (for me, the manga is better than Z).

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:25 am

Bagginses wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:I was talking about voice acting, jpn Z is legendary in that regard. And Kai is faaar from perfect, the Saiyan Arc cuts out a lot of stuff (anime version of that arc is superior to the manga) and on the other hand you got the mess that is Boo Kai.
Oh, then I don't know what to say, because I can't evaluate the quality of the voice acting in either of the versions (since I have never paid much attention to it). Regardless, story-wise, I think Kai is better (for me, the manga is better than Z).
Freeza arc sure, but the Saiyan Arc is better in the anime (Z).

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Bagginses wrote:
Well, not in my opinion. I still prefer the manga for all the arcs. I know some people here are quite fond of it, but I simply don't care that much for filler like Gohan and the dinosaur episode, the one with the robot, the orphans, the team training on Kami-sama's temple, Gohan getting lost for a 10-15 minute filler sequence in the very first episode, etc... it seems like too much padding to me. I'd rather have the more straightforward, lean story as told in the manga. It is how it was intended to be told, anyway (hence why I like the concept/idea of Kai so much, though not so much the actual execution of it that we got).

I guess I'm just not fond of filler at all. :lol:

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Guys, am I dreaming or there was really a full filler episode with Gohan and a dinosaur?

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Bagginses wrote:Guys, am I dreaming or there was really a full filler episode with Gohan and a dinosaur?
Yup it was Dragon Ball Z Episode 10 Don’t Cry Gohan! His First Fight
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:12 am

Naruto6583 wrote:
Bagginses wrote:Guys, am I dreaming or there was really a full filler episode with Gohan and a dinosaur?
Yup it was Dragon Ball Z Episode 10 Don’t Cry Gohan! His First Fight
Thanks.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 am

I think Japanese Kai is awesome, although sometimes I missed the old music. But in general is a very interesting experience, with the surround sound and in HD, definitely recommended.

In terms of storytelling, it's definitely an upgrade from DBZ.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 02, 2016 10:39 am

Well, not in my opinion. I still prefer the manga for all the arcs. I know some people here are quite fond of it, but I simply don't care that much for filler like Gohan and the dinosaur episode, the one with the robot, the orphans, the team training on Kami-sama's temple, Gohan getting lost for a 10-15 minute filler sequence in the very first episode, etc... it seems like too much padding to me. I'd rather have the more straightforward, lean story as told in the manga. It is how it was intended to be told, anyway (hence why I like the concept/idea of Kai so much, though not so much the actual execution of it that we got).
But you're losing character and that's part of the problem. It gets straight into the fighting without really investing in Gohan or his relationship with Piccolo. I don't mind that all that filler was cut out as that was the whole point of Kai.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Mon May 23, 2016 9:52 pm

ABED wrote:
But you're losing character and that's part of the problem. It gets straight into the fighting without really investing in Gohan or his relationship with Piccolo. I don't mind that all that filler was cut out as that was the whole point of Kai.
I agree that the Saiyan saga stuff is some of the best filler in the series, but the manga doesn't have it and is not any less awesome because of that. Thus, for me the manga is still the definitive version of DB/DBZ. But that is a matter of preference and opinion, of course. :D

Videls_Panties
Banned

Post by Videls_Panties » Tue May 24, 2016 2:40 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Bagginses wrote:
How? The Saiyan Arc in the Manga is the best, all the signature moves are there. You just don't have to deal with Z tv.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 24, 2016 1:32 pm

How? The Saiyan Arc in the Manga is the best, all the signature moves are there. You just don't have to deal with Z tv.
Sure, but just having the key stuff isn't neccessarily the best. That arc has some good filler, especially as it pertains to Gohan. If you read just the Manga, Gohan starts off as a cry baby, then there's the chapter where he turns Great Ape, and then there are a few panels where it shows him training before the fight against the Saiyans, but the anime fills in those gaps. That is a time ripe with storytelling possibilities as we're dealing with a character who is a novice and an innocent, but who has to fight for the fate of the world. The audience isn't given enough time and material to really care about what happens to him. The anime solves that issue so when Piccolo gives his life to save Gohan, you care.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue May 24, 2016 8:01 pm

Kai's JPN dub isn't as good as Z's, the animation looks a bit cobbled together, and there's music problems, but on the whole I think it's a better product than Z. Having solid and consumable pacing more than makes up for those other things.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 25, 2016 6:15 am

funrush wrote:Kai's JPN dub isn't as good as Z's, the animation looks a bit cobbled together, and there's music problems, but on the whole I think it's a better product than Z. Having solid and consumable pacing more than makes up for those other things.
You listed 3 problems and 1 positive, and that makes it a better show?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 25, 2016 8:30 am

Something can succeed in spite of itself. That's entirely possible. Hell, that's how I viewed FUNimation's dub in 1999.

In addition, whatever positive(s) someone finds may far outweigh its negatives in and of itself.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 25, 2016 9:17 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
funrush wrote:Kai's JPN dub isn't as good as Z's, the animation looks a bit cobbled together, and there's music problems, but on the whole I think it's a better product than Z. Having solid and consumable pacing more than makes up for those other things.
You listed 3 problems and 1 positive, and that makes it a better show?
Not all of those issues are equally important to him.

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 pm

I gave up on Kai before the Saiyan arcs conclusion when it originally aired. But if I ever gave it another try, it would have to be the Japanese version since it got the most amount of Yamamoto scored episodes. It was one of the shows initial selling points after all. Re-cut, re-colored, new score etc. So watching it with Kikuchi replacement tracks just wouldn't seem like the real deal to me.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks to the Yamamoto Revival project, the English dub has more episodes in Yamamoto format than Japan...then again, the score for the last couple episodes is pure guesswork...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Thanks to the Yamamoto Revival project, the English dub has more episodes in Yamamoto format than Japan...then again, the score for the last couple episodes is pure guesswork...
Interestingly enough, we learned from Kei17 that, apparently, official Yamamoto song selections were made for those last few episodes. However, for business reasons, the selections will forever remain a secret.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:34 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Thanks to the Yamamoto Revival project, the English dub has more episodes in Yamamoto format than Japan...then again, the score for the last couple episodes is pure guesswork...
Interestingly enough, we learned from Kei17 that, apparently, official Yamamoto song selections were made for those last few episodes. However, for business reasons, the selections will forever remain a secret.
Technically, there is no official Yamamoto version for the "episode 96" we got. They hastily edited out all the earthquake shots of the episode in reaction to the big earthquake in 2011, which occured a few days after the score replacement had been officially announced by Toei, so they used the Kikuchi score for the censored version from the start. Only the pre-censored version of episode 96 had the Yamamoto score. It will forever remain a secret along with Joji Yanami's narration in the recap.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:21 am

kei17 wrote:Only the pre-censored version of episode 96 had the Yamamoto score. It will forever remain a secret along with Joji Yanami's narration in the recap.
No offense, but how do you know that this version of the episode even EXISTS in the first place?