Episode Conversion chart, anyone?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Episode Conversion chart, anyone?

Post by Danfun64 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:05 pm

A conversion chart exists which show which uncut DBZ episodes went into each Saban and early Funi in-house DBZ episode. Does a similar list exist for DBZ to Kai? Would be nice to see...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Ajay

Re: Episode Conversion chart, anyone?

Post by Ajay » Sun May 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Not a chart, but each episode entry for Kai on this very website lists which Z episodes are featured in it - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/kai/
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Mon May 02, 2016 3:31 pm

I put (probably) the exact thing you're looking for together in a crude Google Sheet sometime last year: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... _g/pubhtml#
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Nice chart, though IMO you should also add Saban DBZ, DBZ Abridged, International DBZ Kai Final Chapters, and DBZ Kai Abridged (lol maybe not this one).

edit: On second thought, maybe you should finish the chart as it is now :P
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 03, 2016 5:32 am

Nice chart, though IMO you should also add Saban DBZ, DBZ Abridged, International DBZ Kai Final Chapters
One of these things is not like the other.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:44 am

DBZ Abridged may be an unofficial (arguable semi-official, as Funi cast members have talked about it and a couple TFS actors have been in officially licensed material like Xenoverse) parody, but it's gotten really good over the past dozen episodes. Besides, the European Portugese dub is a gag dub, but is 100% official. Meanwhile Abridged, while still rather silly, has included a lot of rather serious material, like Kami's speech to Piccolo before they merge for instance.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 am

Danfun64 wrote:DBZ Abridged may be an unofficial (arguable semi-official, as Funi cast members have talked about it and a couple TFS actors have been in officially licensed material like Xenoverse) parody, but it's gotten really good over the past dozen episodes. Besides, the European Portugese dub is a gag dub, but is 100% official. Meanwhile Abridged, while still rather silly, has included a lot of rather serious material, like Kami's speech to Piccolo before they merge for instance.
Before this turns into a ridiculous and useless debate, you are more than welcome to copy and paste that chart and put together your ideal version of it. :)

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Detective X wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:DBZ Abridged may be an unofficial (arguable semi-official, as Funi cast members have talked about it and a couple TFS actors have been in officially licensed material like Xenoverse) parody, but it's gotten really good over the past dozen episodes. Besides, the European Portugese dub is a gag dub, but is 100% official. Meanwhile Abridged, while still rather silly, has included a lot of rather serious material, like Kami's speech to Piccolo before they merge for instance.
Before this turns into a ridiculous and useless debate, you are more than welcome to copy and paste that chart and put together your ideal version of it. :)
I'm sorry, but i never understood the Namek - Freeza division and Artificial Humans - Cell, those are clearly 2 arcs and not 4. You cant have one arc ending with "to be continued", all of them have clear beginnings, middles and endings. Also, Babas tournament is part of RRA.

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Wed May 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Detective X wrote:
I'm sorry, but i never understood the Namek - Freeza division and Artificial Humans - Cell, those are clearly 2 arcs and not 4. You cant have one arc ending with "to be continued", all of them have clear beginnings, middles and endings. Also, Babas tournament is part of RRA.
Separating those helps visualize where some of the most lengthy filler happens. Keeping it strictly Freeza & Cell would have made that a more amorphous, meaningless blob.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 04, 2016 12:11 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Detective X wrote:
I disagree. You can have one arcs ending end and then have a cliffhanger into the next. Baba's tournament is in no way linked to the Red Ribbon Army. It is its own thing. Yes, it brings back a character that was killed by someone hired by the RRA, but if we're going by that logic, the Freeza arc and Saiyan arc are one story because Goku's friends aren't revived until after Freeza's death. I can think of a number of examples where an arc ends with "to be continued".

And the TFS is in no way official or semi-official. It's a fundub. You might like it, but it doesn't belong in the same category as the official dubs.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 12:13 pm

What? They are 2 arcs and 5 of them have filler arcs at the end, Garlic Jr being the biggest one...

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 12:16 pm

ABED wrote:I disagree. You can have one arcs ending end and then have a cliffhanger into the next. Baba's tournament is in no way linked to the Red Ribbon Army. It is its own thing. Yes, it brings back a character that was killed by someone hired by the RRA, but if we're going by that logic, the Freeza arc and Saiyan arc are one story because Goku's friends aren't revived until after Freeza's death. I can think of a number of examples where an arc ends with "to be continued".
Watch this : http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=19251, you will understand everything...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 04, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm sorry, but I have no intention of watching all those videos. Feel free to summarize if you want. Does the videos explicitly say the Baba tournament is part of the Red Ribbon Army? Why should I just take their word for it?

Nevermind, I found the part in the video where he discusses it and I disagree. I understand his point about there was nothing tying him emotionally to the Red Ribbon Army and it's Bora's death that was the turning point, but that doesn't make the resolution of his story the end of that arc. Great if you think that, but it's one of several possible options. I don't think Baba's tournament is tied in enough to the Red Ribbon Army. It's not falling action. It's a story with its own rising, climax, and falling action. The end of the Red Ribbon arc is the fall of the Red Ribbon Army. Dragon Balls arcs are defined by their villains, generally.

I really wish people would stop pointing to other books or videos to make their points for them.
Last edited by ABED on Wed May 04, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 1:37 pm

ABED wrote:I'm sorry, but I have no intention of watching all those videos. Feel free to summarize if you want. Does the videos explicitly say the Baba tournament is part of the Red Ribbon Army? Why should I just take their word for it?
I highly recommend it, it's a great series, but if you don't want to - ok.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm sorry, but I have no intention of watching all those videos. Feel free to summarize if you want. Does the videos explicitly say the Baba tournament is part of the Red Ribbon Army? Why should I just take their word for it?
I don't know what I'd get out of it other than another guy's opinion. I've read the manga, seen the series several times over. I'm fine with getting other people's opinions, hence why I'm on this forum, but I don't need a recap of the show via youtube videos. It's certainly a valid take, one I don't happen to share.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 1:44 pm

ABED wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
I don't know what I'd get out of it other than another guy's opinion. I've read the manga, seen the series several times over. I'm fine with getting other people's opinions, hence why I'm on this forum, but I don't need a recap of the show via youtube videos. It's certainly a valid take, one I don't happen to share.
It's not a recap.
I guess you could check out RRA part 7 - at 5:40.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 04, 2016 1:51 pm

He has some good points, but proper falling action doesn't extend for 10 episodes and introduce new characters and a new dilemma in order to resolve the story. I will give him this much, I can get on board with "The Second Hunt for the DB's arc" with 2 sub arcs, but I can't call it all the Red Ribbon Army arc as they have nothing to do with Baba's tournament. Maybe we should do this in another thread.

I like the conversion chart, kudos. I made one myself using MS Excel. It doesn't contain the manga chapters, but it does show the breakdown of Z, Kai, and the first two seasons of the Ocean dub.
Last edited by ABED on Wed May 04, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 1:53 pm

ABED wrote:He has some good points, but proper falling action doesn't extend for 10 episodes and introduce new characters and a new dilemma in order to resolve the story. I will give him this much, I can get on board with "The Second Hunt for the DB's arc" with 2 sub arcs, but I can't call it all the Red Ribbon Army arc as they have nothing to do with Baba's tournament.
Ok, this is all just like canon - there is no one right answer and everyone has their own.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
ABED wrote:He has some good points, but proper falling action doesn't extend for 10 episodes and introduce new characters and a new dilemma in order to resolve the story. I will give him this much, I can get on board with "The Second Hunt for the DB's arc" with 2 sub arcs, but I can't call it all the Red Ribbon Army arc as they have nothing to do with Baba's tournament.
Ok, this is all just like canon - there is no one right answer and everyone has their own.
Fair enough, and in case I came off as a little harsh, what little I've seen of the videos was good, and well informed, and presented well. I even like that he does acknowledge there are other ways to look at it, but this is how he sees it.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 04, 2016 2:02 pm

ABED wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
Fair enough, and in case I came off as a little harsh, what little I've seen of the videos was good, and well informed, and presented well. I even like that he does acknowledge there are other ways to look at it, but this is how he sees it.
You redeemed yourself with that comment, man, that was nice.