What would you want in A Kai of the original Dragon Ball

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What would you want in A Kai of the original Dragon Ball

Post by simtek34 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:57 pm

What would you think if Toei or Funimation made a Kai edition of dragon ball with all the features of Z Kai

The voice cast would be
Narrator- John Swasey
Goku-Colleen Clinkenbeard
Bulma- Monica Rial
Oolong-Bryan Massey
Puar-Brina Palencia
Yamcha- Chris Sabat
Master Roshi- Mike McFaraland
Shenron- Chris Sabat
Turtle- Either Sabat or Chris Cason
Mr Popo- Same as turtle
Chiaotzu- Brina Palencia

Remastered the same way as Z Kai
Get rid of a lot of the filler such as the Wedding Dress arc but keep some so it helps the pacing of the show.

I would say about mabye 100 episodes give or take.

What are your opinions on a Dragon Ball Kai this way?

P.S Japan would start using the Z Kai logo for what all ready exists then use the old Dragon Ball Kai logo for the new show.
Last edited by simtek34 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: A Kai for the original Dragon Ball

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:36 pm

I want a Kai version of the original Dragon Ball so badly, but sadly I don't think it will happen because it would initially have to be produced for Japan and the Kai fanbase there is even smaller than it is worldwide. Sure the international market demanded the Buu arc, but that was the completion of a project, which already began not a new one.

In terms of what I would want, simply for it to get the same remastering treatment as DBK, be 80-90 episodes, and to have a good dub, and good music choice and placement.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Re: A Kai for the original Dragon Ball

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:19 pm

1- Completely new dub.
2- Remastered.
3- Reducing it to 100 or so episodes.
4- I'd like them to keep it in 4:3 but they did a good job transferring Z to 16:9 so I wouldn't mind it.
5- I'd also like them to keep the original OST but if they must do a new one then hopefully they'll get someone new and not who did Buu and Super.

The redrawn scenes and green tint don't bother me that much but I'd prefer them not to be there.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I want a Kai version of the original Dragon Ball so badly, but sadly I don't think it will happen because it would initially have to be produced for Japan and the Kai fanbase there is even smaller than it is worldwide.
The Buu arc wasn't even going to air in Japan so they could do the same with DB and have it aired exclusively in the west and other international countries like the Buu arc was originally going to be.

The ratings the Buu arc will get on Toonami will play a major factor in deciding weather they'll make it or not.

Does anyone know how well Buu did in France while it was airing ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: What would you want in A Kai of the original Dragon Ball

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:54 pm

sintzu wrote:1- Completely new dub.
2- Remastered.
3- Reducing it to 100 or so episodes.
4- I'd like them to keep it in 4:3 but they did a good job transferring Z to 16:9 so I wouldn't mind it.
5- I'd also like them to keep the original OST but if they must do a new one then hopefully they'll get someone new and not who did Buu and Super.
This is pretty much want I want out of a Kai version of the original Dragon Ball anime. But I would actually keep most of the filler, because unlike Z, it doesn't bog down the pacing of the plot and feels like such a natural expansion of the narrative.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:43 am

I would want more time and care to go into the reanimation process. Some parts of Kai looked great, while others looked blurry, over saturated etc.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:20 am

Now how about... Censoring it for TV. If it's on a channel like Nicktons or Cartoon Network, they would have to edit a lot of the sexual references like the bunny costume, no balls, or no panties. So I would say the same level of edits that the original Cartoon Network/Old Toonami had. But if it is on AS/New Toonami, maybe very few edits (Naked Goku and his junk. What channel should it be on and what should be edited?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:48 am

simtek34 wrote:Now how about... Censoring it for TV.

Some expressions can't be put into words so this is the only way to get them across.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:46 pm

I don't think it will happen given what happen with DBZ Kai since it didn't sell well with merchandise. I would imagine Toei will probably do a remake of the original Dragon Ball in the near future with brand new animation since the original anime is 30 years old. Younger anime fans have a hard time watching older anime.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:11 pm

simtek34 wrote:What would you think if Toei or Funimation made a Kai edition of dragon ball with all the features of Z Kai

The voice cast would be
Narrator- John Swasey
Bulma- Monica Rial
Oolong-Bryan Massey
Puar-Brina Palencia
Yamcha- Chris Sabat
Shenron- Chris Sabat
Mr Popo- Same as turtle
Chiaotzu- Brina Palencia

Get rid of a lot of the filler such as the Wedding Dress arc but keep some so it helps the pacing of the show.

P.S Japan would start using the Z Kai logo for what all ready exists then use the old Dragon Ball Kai logo for the new show.
I don't think anyone who's still working for FUNimation should be replaced. As far as I'm aware, Stephanie Nadolny and Brad Jackson are still working for FUNi, right? And I know they could easily bring back Tiffany Vollmer to be Bulma even though she doesn't do much work for FUNI anymore.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would imagine Toei will probably do a remake of the original Dragon Ball in the near future with brand new animation.
If Super is the best they can do with new animation then hopefully they'll just remaster the old episodes.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:09 pm

sintzu wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I would imagine Toei will probably do a remake of the original Dragon Ball in the near future with brand new animation.
If Super is the best they can do with new animation then hopefully they'll just remaster the old episodes.
Agreed, I'll take the Kai treatment over everything being rebuilt with the new animation style.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:31 pm

It's too late to make a Kai of the original DB. Kai should have consisted of both original DB and DBZ, reanimated and filler free (except maybe non-contradictory bits and pieces to pad the episode where necessary.)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
simtek34 wrote:What would you think if Toei or Funimation made a Kai edition of dragon ball with all the features of Z Kai

The voice cast would be
Narrator- John Swasey
Bulma- Monica Rial
Oolong-Bryan Massey
Puar-Brina Palencia
Yamcha- Chris Sabat
Shenron- Chris Sabat
Mr Popo- Same as turtle
Chiaotzu- Brina Palencia

I don't think anyone who's still working for FUNimation should be replaced. As far as I'm aware, Stephanie Nadolny and Brad Jackson are still working for FUNi, right? And I know they could easily bring back Tiffany Vollmer to be Bulma even though she doesn't do much work for FUNI anymore.
Stephanie is NOT working with Funimation, nor is Tifanny Vollmer. You should have just said "I WANT THE OLD CAST BACK" instead of trying to weasel out. I do agree that the people CURRENTLY working for Funimation shouldnt be replaced.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:11 pm

I don't want that happen in the first place because the filler in the original series works fine enough and Kai-fying would mean no Kikuchi score, which is definitely, absolutely no deal to me. Just HD-remastering the footage and producing an English redub would suffice for most of the demands here. For the sake of faithfulness to the original manga, I want a whole new remake rather than a cheap-ass patchwork with instant new flavor, in other words, a new score.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:06 pm

kei17 wrote:I don't want that happen in the first place because the filler in the original series works fine enough. Just HD-remastering the footage and producing an English redub would suffice for most of the demands here.
The main story's filler is much more enjoyable than Z's so if that's what they do then they should at least remove the complete filler episodes which would bring the episode count down to 133.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:40 am

Aren't there a couple of filler episodes that are necessary to the plot of original DB (the InoShikaCho episode for example, due to how its intertwined with the canon material (was it successfully removed in that filler-lite DB fanedit?) )
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Aren't there a couple of filler episodes that are necessary to the plot of original DB (the InoShikaCho episode for example, due to how its intertwined with the canon material (was it successfully removed in that filler-lite DB fanedit?) )
Yes it was removed. The guy seriously did a great job. Cant give him enough credit. Brought it down from 153 episodes to 82 and seamlessly as far as I'm concerned.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:27 am

Speaking of that edit...is it still around? I got a download link for all the episodes a while back, but they've all gone invalid now, and from the very start they also had a link to a version of megadownloader filled with adware.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:24 am

I'd honestly just want a few movies similar to Path to Power. I know some people do the like how Path to Power was executed, but I loved the crap out of it and I'd love to see a couple more made to round out the arcs up through the 23rd Budokai.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

darkerspare

Post by darkerspare » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:32 am

Nadolny is Kid Goku to me. It wouldn't be watchable with Colleen playing him. And I love Tiffany's Bulma too. I'd love a redub but I would prefer their return. At the very least Nadolny.