What would you want in A Kai of the original Dragon Ball

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

darkerspare

Re: What would you want in A Kai of the original Dragon Ball

Post by darkerspare » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:33 am

Isn't there fan-edit somewhere online that cuts out filler? I vaguely remember reading about it somewhere.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:48 am

As much as I love OG Dragon Ball, I don't really see the point, the filler is mostly self contained and for the most part it's good filler. And I like the dub so a re-dub wouldn't be a huge plus for me.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

RisanF
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RisanF » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:13 pm

A few things I'd like in a Dragon Ball Kai would include Arale saying "N'cha", "Hoyo", and all that jazz. Cast would feature Stephanie Nadolny and Brina Palencia as Goku and Arale. Palencia made a good Arale in Dragon Ball: Origins 2, and Nadolny is still the standard for American Kid Goku. DAlso, Definitely keep Kikuchi's compositions.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:51 pm

As great as the Dragonball series is, not everyone feels that way unfortunately. Especially in places where people saw Z first, and then watched DB later. It is viewed as dated, or un-interesting, and therefore not as profitable. So there's that, plus the fact that, as others already mentioned, the filler in DB is mostly contained to its own episodes, and really doesn't drag things out too much like it does in the Z series. The dub was already decent, and the filler was mostly good and actually added to the story in interesting ways. Anything that you wish was cut, is as easy as just skipping the filler episode(s) that you don't care for. I personally think most of the filler in DB is pretty solid. There also really were not any poorly animated episodes to speak of. All of them were pretty consistently good. I don't believe the series needs it, DB is fine as it is.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:25 am

Akira wrote: As great as the Dragonball series is, not everyone feels that way unfortunately. Especially in places where people saw Z first, and then watched DB later. It is viewed as dated, or un-interesting.

Anything that you wish was cut, is as easy as just skipping the filler episode(s) that you don't care for.

I don't believe the series needs it, DB is fine as it is.
This is unfortunately how the official companies behind it look at it as well.

If you skip the filler episodes you'll get 133 episodes.

It doesn't NEED it but I think the 133 manga episodes could be cut down more and a better dub will always be a good thing, plus we'll get an official HD transfer of it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:04 pm

The Dragon Ball Recut project created by the guy in the fan works section that effectively made a Kai version of the original DB cut the episode count from 153 down to 82. In my opinion he did an AMAZING job. I would love to get an updated more accurate Funi dub track to go along with it. Its passable as it is, but it could certainly be better and up to the Kai dub standards of today.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Dragon Ball doesn't have an enormous amount of filler to begin with. But if I were to cut out anything, it would be the marriage arc.
Retired.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:52 pm

In my opinion, the only thing worthwhile about Dragon Ball Kai is the english dub. I'd rather Funimation just go back and redub Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I can just skip the filler episodes.
Kendamu wrote:I'd honestly just want a few movies similar to Path to Power. I know some people do the like how Path to Power was executed, but I loved the crap out of it and I'd love to see a couple more made to round out the arcs up through the 23rd Budokai.
I would definitely be cool with something like this! I would prefer having a remastered and cleaned up version of the Kikuchi score, though.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)