"The most accurate subtitle track ever"?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "The most accurate subtitle track ever"?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Well, its just that its a big shock. I didnt mean to be rude, but I apologize.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:32 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:GOD DONT TELL ME STEVE SIMMONS LEAVES BUKUJUTSU UNTRANSLATED. That's soooooo tacky. Well, I shouldnt complain, its not like I buy those DVD's or that they should appeal to me.
WHY DO YOU ALWAYS RESPOND IN CAPS DO YOU JUST SHOUT AT PEOPLE WHEN YOU TALK I DON'T GET IT
IT'S FUN! Maybe he hit the caps lock key by mistake. I sometimes notice while typing lectures that I look at my screen and half of what I wrote is in caps lol Bah, who am I kidding? You're right; the chances of that are like finding Universe 6 in real life.

In any event, I always feel so dependent on Steve Simmons's translations or Viz's or Herms's. I just gotta learn the damned language already. Throw a shrimp on the barbie; like I don't have enough to do :crazy:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Ajay wrote:They're still by Simmons himself, but they're phrased much more naturally than his earlier work. Japanese idioms that were translated literally are now translated with the English equivalents, for example.

That said, I wouldn't say they're the "most accurate" thing ever.

For some weird reason, he switched from just "senzu" (Sage Bean) to "senzu bean" aka "sage bean bean", so that's a mark off there.

He also left in arguably his biggest error that's still present in both the sub and dub to this day - https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/739900750223028224

I imagine there's still a plethora of other issues. It's just marketing speech for the most part, but I find the more natural phrasing in Kai to outweigh any of its shortcomings.
Oh wow, I never knew there were that big translation errors in his subs.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Is that translation of Trunks talking about the word 'hope' inaccurate in the subtitles, or inaccurate in the comic?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:02 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Is that translation of Trunks talking about the word 'hope' inaccurate in the subtitles, or inaccurate in the comic?
It's the former. Future Trunks wrote the message.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:12 pm

Oh, wait! Does it show that in the TV special? I haven't seen it, so that'd make sense. Hm... That's a silly mistake, but I guess it's bound to happen.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Oh, wait! Does it show that in the TV special? I haven't seen it, so that'd make sense. Hm... That's a silly mistake, but I guess it's bound to happen.
The animation doesn't show him in the act of writing it, but the message is shown after he returns from the hospital, if I remember correctly. I know for certain the extra chapter in the manga doesn't, yet it's still cited by Future Trunks that he wrote it personally beforehand.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Oh, okay. Thanks. :)

As for the other "errors", or rather "translation choices", I really don't like the redundancy of "Senzu bean" or "Bukujutsu technique". I mean, is "Sage Bean" really odd sounding? It seems pretty natural to me. And Bukujutsu means "Sky Dance Technique" I believe, not "Levitation Technique", right? Sky Dance Technique sounds better to me (less syllables).

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:39 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Oh, okay. Thanks. :)

As for the other "errors", or rather "translation choices", I really don't like the redundancy of "Senzu bean" or "Bukujutsu technique". I mean, is "Sage Bean" really odd sounding? It seems pretty natural to me. And Bukujutsu means "Sky Dance Technique" I believe, not "Levitation Technique", right? Sky Dance Technique sounds better to me (less syllables).
For what it's worth, he eventually defaults to just "senzu". I can't be exact for you on the when. That's specific footage to look out for in too much time. :lol: "Levitation" is fine. Flight is, as well. Sky dance is particularly literal, ahaha. I believe Mandelin used that phrasing for the Dragon Ball anime, though. It's all the same thing, left up to your adaption.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:07 am

I don't blame Simmons for keeping the original DVD subtitles as literal as possible. Sub fans were foaming at the mouth to finally have the ability to purchase the Japanese track on DVD, and to be able to see what the characters are *really* saying, when back then, all we had were fansubs. He probably wanted to avoid any fan backlash from taking too many liberties with his translations, considering how mistreated the franchise had been thus far.

FUNimation took a similar approach with the dub of One Piece once they took over from 4Kids!. They used fan-friendly terms like Marines, rather than the literal translation of Navy, because of the word's association with 4Kids! former censorship habits. As the dub progressed, they eased up, and started using Navy a lot more often.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:58 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:I really don't like the redundancy of "Senzu bean" or "Bukujutsu technique". I mean, is "Sage Bean" really odd sounding? It seems pretty natural to me.
Strictly speaking, going by FUNi's naming conventions it would have to be "Hermit Beans". What with them translating Sen'nin as Hermit and all that. But yeah, it's really not a very hard term to translate at all.
G1Ravage wrote:FUNimation took a similar approach with the dub of One Piece once they took over from 4Kids!. They used fan-friendly terms like Marines, rather than the literal translation of Navy, because of the word's association with 4Kids! former censorship habits. As the dub progressed, they eased up, and started using Navy a lot more often.
The DVD-subtitles used Navy from the get-go however. Guess Mandelin rightfully decided that translating stuff correctly was more important than not using what 4Kids used. Which is a sentiment certain fans don't seem to share, considering how people still seem to get upset over "Gum-Gum".

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Yeah, anime fans can be a little crazy. As bad as 4Kids was, translating kaigun as Navy was the correct thing to do. I've heard so many complaints from fans getting all up in arms over official translations being abominations becuz the translation differed from their precious always-right fansub (I.E. the official translation was translated correctly and they refused to except that as a possibility).
Nejishiki wrote:For what it's worth, he eventually defaults to just "senzu". I can't be exact for you on the when. That's specific footage to look out for in too much time. :lol: "Levitation" is fine. Flight is, as well. Sky dance is particularly literal, ahaha. I believe Mandelin used that phrasing for the Dragon Ball anime, though. It's all the same thing, left up to your adaption.
Well, it's just buku doesn't really have a true meaning, does it? Wasn't it just made up for a cool-sounding name for a flying technique?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:20 pm

From Herms himself:
"Bukujutsu" is the fancy name for the flying technique DB characters use. It essentially means "hovering technique". You often see it translated as "sky-dancing technique", but this is a misunderstanding of 舞/bu, which in this case means to float or hover.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Oh, nice! Thanks. Tho, that's too bad... Sky-Dance Technique sounded kinda cool. :)

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 pm

I've heard Simmons has improved his Japanese in recent years so I'm sure the subtitles, and even the dub translations are better.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:37 am

Ajay wrote:For some weird reason, he switched from just "senzu" (Sage Bean) to "senzu bean" aka "sage bean bean", so that's a mark off there.
I'm going to make an effort to correct this in my "Z/Kai" recuts. To clarify, though, would the plural of "senzu" also be "senzu" (like the word "sheep"), or would it be "senzus"?

For instance, which of the following is correct?

A) "These're from Karin-sama. They're senzu."
B) "These're from Karin-sama. They're senzus."

The following screenshot leads me to believe that option A is the correct approach, but I would like to be sure before I proceed:

aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:48 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Ajay wrote:For some weird reason, he switched from just "senzu" (Sage Bean) to "senzu bean" aka "sage bean bean", so that's a mark off there.
I'm going to make an effort to correct this in my "Z/Kai" recuts. To clarify, though, would the plural of "senzu" also be "senzu" (like the word "sheep"), or would it be "senzus"?

For instance, which of the following is correct?

A) "These're from Karin-sama. They're senzu."
B) "These're from Karin-sama. They're senzus."

The following screenshot leads me to believe that option A is the correct approach, but I would like to be sure before I proceed:

Well it's a japanese word and if I recall correctly that language does not differentiate between singular and plural, so A would be correct.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta