How are the Japanese Kai DVDs and/ Blu rays?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

How are the Japanese Kai DVDs and/ Blu rays?

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:05 pm

I've been looking at different dvds to buy for my new Sony Trinitron and I thought about gettin' the Japanese Kai dvds since I'm learning Japanese and Kai would be good for my immersion. Anyways, I was wondering how do they look and how they might stack up against the english ones. Also, some high-quality screenshots would be appreciated if it ain't any trouble.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How are the Japanese Kai DVDs and/ Blu rays?

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:47 am

This article does a pretty decent job of comparing the various releases of Kai and their video quality (thanks and shout-out to MarcFBR): http://www.fanboyreview.net/2010/05/05/ ... omparison/

From that article and various posts of this forum, it's been said that basically the Japanese and US Blu-Rays are almost identical on the video-front (the US release seems to be a tad more bright and saturated), whereas the Japanese DVDs are mediocre (cropped 16:9 picture/poor encode.) The American DVDs I think were fine though, since they were sourced from the Kai Blu-Ray footage (4.3).

My recommendation for AJATT? Just buy the US Kai Blu-Rays or DVDs and then turn on the Japanese audio but with subtitles off.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks man! I appreaciate it. I definitely won't be getting the Japanese DVDs or Blurays now. Them things cost way too dang much. Ain't nobody got time to be spending thousands of dollars on those.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:16 pm

Could be wrong, but aren't the Japanese Blu-Rays in stereo...and if you're lucky and find old enough copies, have more Yamamoto scored episodes than the US sets...while the US Blu-Rays only have the Japanese in Mono and of course, start having the Kikuchi replacement score at an earlier point?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Could be wrong, but aren't the Japanese Blu-Rays in stereo...and if you're lucky and find old enough copies, have more Yamamoto scored episodes than the US sets...while the US Blu-Rays only have the Japanese in Mono and of course, start having the Kikuchi replacement score at an earlier point?
Both regions have stereo Japanese audio.

As for the replacement music:

Source.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:15 pm

:oops: Geez, I'm actually considering buying the Japanese dvds now. I kinda wanted the 16:9 footage to be honest. I would buy the original Z but the audio on there is just so muffled while Kai is much clearer and easier to comprehend. But the Japanese dvds are high priced as heck. Oh well.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:55 pm

If you want 16:9, the French or German Blu-Rays would probably be a better source.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:25 am

If you want 16:9, you can just use the "Zoom" button on your remote or menu screen. This accomplishes the same thing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If you want 16:9, you can just use the "Zoom" button on your remote or menu screen. This accomplishes the same thing.
Oh yeah! I never thought about that. Sorry, I'm a bit on the naive side when it comes to Blu rays (just got one). Thanks. You guys probably just saved me months of saving money.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:If you want 16:9, you can just use the "Zoom" button on your remote or menu screen. This accomplishes the same thing.
Oh yeah! I never thought about that. Sorry, I'm a bit on the naive side when it comes to Blu rays (just got one). Thanks. You guys probably just saved me months of saving money.

I'm not so sure, because the Japanese, German, etc... They are selectively cropped frame by frame. While the tv zoom button just cuts the top and bottom. Like the orange bricks. So I think that the other versions are better. But if you want that in English, watch the Japanese footage with the English dailoude playing?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34