What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Postby Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:21 pm

So , I'm thinking about buying the dragon ball z kai Sets , should i get the blue rays or should i get the dvds ? , and whats the big difference between the two ?
Same question goes for battle of gods & ressurection F
My English is poor .

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REG

Re: What's the difference between the DVD's & the Blue-Rays ?

Postby Vegard Aune » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:So , I'm thinking about buying the dragon ball z kai Sets , should i get the blue rays or should i get the dvds ? , and whats the big difference between the two ?

The difference is that the Blu-Rays are HD whereas the DVDs are not. The actual content is exactly the same, but the BDs are higher quality. So if you have a Blu-ray player, absolutely go for the Blu-rays. There is literally no reason not to.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Postby ShaneisMC » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:29 pm

The Blu Rays are also presented in proper 4:3 aspect ratio whereas the dvd's are in 16:9

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Postby Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:So , I'm thinking about buying the dragon ball z kai Sets , should i get the blue rays or should i get the dvds ? , and whats the big difference between the two ?

The difference is that the Blu-Rays are HD whereas the DVDs are not. The actual content is exactly the same, but the BDs are higher quality. So if you have a Blu-ray player, absolutely go for the Blu-rays. There is literally no reason not to.

Ok , Thanks for the answer ! :)
My English is poor .

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Postby Daisetsu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:50 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:The Blu Rays are also presented in proper 4:3 aspect ratio whereas the dvd's are in 16:9

As far as I know, that's only the case in Japan. The US DVDs are also 4:3.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Postby ShaneisMC » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Really? Well that's interesting.

Baggie_Saiyan
Kicks it Old-School

Postby Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:Really? Well that's interesting.

Yup. I have Part 3 in DVD since the BD was too expensive. It's in 4x3.

Upscaled there is honestly very little difference. The only reason to get BD's are the fact that BD are more durable than DVD's.
Top releases of each month to look forward too:
August: SMSP "THE SUPER SAIYAN 4 SON GOKU" (sculpted by Manabu Yamashita)
September: DBS Son Goku FES!! Stage 8 (sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa) PROTOTYPE FINAL VERSION
October: DBS WCD Vol.2: Goku vs Jiren, #17 & Super Shenron (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
November: DBGT Kamehameha x10 Son Goku (sculpted by Satoshi Suzuki)
December: DBS:Broly Ultimate Soldiers The Movie I,II &III (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super related merchandise and figures Album of SSGSS shots Album of Ultra Instinct shots Album of Ultra Instinct "Omen" shots Album of SSG shots

Dragon Ball Ireland
Advanced Regular

Postby Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:38 pm

You should definitely get the Blu-Rays. Kai was, after all, intended partly to be a version of DBZ in true HD. I own some of the Dragon Boxes but I can still say that the Kai Blu-Rays have the best picture quality of any DB release thus far.

Bruma rabu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Postby Bruma rabu » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:25 pm

People never bring this up but blu rays have superior audio quality too. So if you a home theater system blu rays are the way to go.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ZodaEX

Postby ZodaEX » Thu May 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:You should definitely get the Blu-Rays. Kai was, after all, intended partly to be a version of DBZ in true HD. I own some of the Dragon Boxes but I can still say that the Kai Blu-Rays have the best picture quality of any DB release thus far.

You are wrong about the Kai Blu-Rays having the best picture quality of any DB release because the Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays look much much better than Kai's. Also, what is the difference between true HD and regular HD? Wouldn't the latter just simply be referred to SD?

Danfun64
OMG CRAZY REG

Re: What's the difference between the DVDs & the Blu-rays?

Postby Danfun64 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:41 am

First of all, TrueHD can refer to Dolby's lossless audio codec used on Blu-Rays, including most of Funi's DB Blu-Ray releases. Second, there's 240p (Low Definition, think VHS and VCD), 480i (Standard Definition, think of Laserdisc and some DVDs), 480p (Enhanced Definition, think other DVDs, especially ones based off film), 720p (apparently modern anime is animated in that resolution. Also appears on HDTV sports channels), 1080i (appears on HDTV channels that don't emphasize movement that much) and then there's "Full HD" 1080p (most Blu-Rays are this format). Third, the Kai Ep 1-98 transfer, despite the DVNR, is still fairly detailed, and in some cases is vastly superior to all other DBZ transfers, especially when it comes to contrast and dark detail. Finally, Kai (and by extension DBZ) and Super, while still taking place in the same universe, are two different series, thusly its not a fair comparison. Even with the remaster, the DBZ footage is going to show its age. Would I be wrong in saying that you don't think anything made before the past decade can even qualify as having the "best picture quality"?
Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:The best end for Dragon Ball would be the Freeza arc, but with everyone in King Kai's Planet staying dead, Piccolo and Vegeta too, Goku killed by the explosion of Namek (Freeza was ultimately defeated), Gohan and Bulma the only ones who have succeeded in surving this climatic battle with the two sets of Dragon Balls permanently erased from existence.

I don't think making Dragon Ball a greek tragedy would sit well with young readers.

Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Footlong Shoe
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Postby Footlong Shoe » Fri May 05, 2017 10:34 am

ZodaEX wrote:You are wrong about the Kai Blu-Rays having the best picture quality of any DB release because the Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays look much much better than Kai's.

I think it's pretty obvious that he means the best picture quality of the original footage. Super is a different subject entirely.
Steam - Footlong Shoe (psn_trooperman567)
XBL - Footlong Crocs
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1776

Hit me up, I might be willing to talk or play!

Return to “Dragon Ball Kai”