Kai announcement at NYCC??

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Kai announcement at NYCC??

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:02 am

Anyone think we get a Dragon Ball Z Kai Buu Saga announcement today at Funimations Industry Panel?

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai announcement at NYCC??

Post by LettuceJUMP » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:06 am

I would say it is unlikely, but I would poop my pants with excitement if they do!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:29 am

Isn't there also going to be a Toonami panel? I doubt we'd get an announcement from Funimation. They've missed the boat, most people at their panel would be expecting a Super dub. From a Toonami panel though? It's a possibility. Otherwise it will just air unannounced after the Cell arc finishes up.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:49 am

Any idea when the Toonami panel is?

Castleking001

Post by Castleking001 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:26 pm

Unfortunately, someone already asked Jason DeMarco about two weeks ago on his Ask.fm, "I heard you going to New York comic con any big things to announce?", to which he responded, "I'm not going to NYCC. We won't be announcing anything there". So I'm holding out hope for FUNimation :(

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:08 pm

Welp, the Funimation panel came and went without a Kai announcement. Buuuuuut, they did apparently show another Resurrection F trailer......so that's pretty exciting......right?

When is the Toonami panel supposed to be? Is it over already? If it is, I guess we just have to wait for commercials to start airing on Toonami.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Another Resurrection 'F' trailer? What for exactly? Did they license the 'Future Trunks' edition or something?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:48 pm

I think it's just the same trailer they play at every single convention in order to keep the Dragon Ball conversation going since I guess they still don't want to (or can't) announce Kai or Super.
source that they played the trailer again: https://twitter.com/TheMatthewPaul/stat ... 8087175170

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:49 pm

thaman91 wrote:Welp, the Funimation panel came and went without a Kai announcement. Buuuuuut, they did apparently show another Resurrection F trailer......so that's pretty exciting......right?

When is the Toonami panel supposed to be? Is it over already? If it is, I guess we just have to wait for commercials to start airing on Toonami.
Sadly, Jason Demarco has confirmed they haven't travelled to New York, & they don't have anything to announce.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Huh, that's...incredibly random of them, but okay. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:50 pm

So if this thing just starts airing on Toonami after episode 98, when should we expect the first home release? Would it be slightly before the first episode or a little while after? And, more importantly, when would we see an online listing for such a release to go up? 1 month before the hypothetical release? 2 months before?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:05 pm

thaman91 wrote:So if this thing just starts airing on Toonami after episode 98, when should we expect the first home release? Would it be slightly before the first episode or a little while after?

And, more importantly, when would we see an online listing for such a release to go up? 1 month before the hypothetical release? 2 months before?
It depends on the deal they have with Toei, they could start after the 1st episode airs, after the 12th or 13th (which is what each set usually has) or after the whole arc is finished airing.

Maybe right after ep98 airs but hopefully we get something before but like you said, IF it airs.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:03 pm

I would imagine they won't announce anything and just air it normally. Unless in November, they do a big TV ad with something like "Brand new episodes of Dragon Ball Z Kai next week!!!!".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Funimation doesn't really announce things at conventions anymore. I cant tell you how many Funimation panels people have hyped up in the past several years result in nothing. Even conventions like Otakon and SDCC/NYCC that used to be guaranteed to present at least one notable acquisition from Funimation are typically now just a sizzle reel of trailers for already announced titles and some hilariously outdated slides.

I hate to say it, but the announcement for The Final Chapters is probably going to be from a Toonami trailer two weeks before it airs. Or maybe Toonami wont even make a trailer and the announcement will be when it shows up on the TV listings. It's such a stark contrast from how Funimation usually treats their golden child, but its becoming evident to me that Funimation views The Final Chapters as nothing but a burden that is blocking them from jumping right into Super. That or they know people will be pissed if they announce the Final Chapters dub instead of a Super dub, so they're keeping Final Chapters as low-key a release as possible (midnight on basic cable with the network being responsible for all the advertising).
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Yeah at this point it does not make much sense to announce a show or in this case a continuation of a show that starts mid-December, around November time if not a few weeks or hell even a week before it is supposed to air.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:40 pm

I understand that they don't want to make a big announcement out of it because said announcement would probably be met with disappointment since it's not Super.

HOWEVER, couldn't they just quietly put a Blu-ray listing up for the first box set without announcing anything? Or maybe they could quietly update their Kai website with descriptions of episodes past 98. Or, if someone asks them on twitter about when we'll see The Final Chapters, they could just respond with a low-key "new episodes of Kai will begin in December after the Cell episodes are finished!"

I guess my point is that there is a significant difference between making an announcement vs. refusing to acknowledge the existence of something that will supposedly begin airing on television in 2 months. I mean, think about it. If they simply updated their Kai website with more information about The Final Chapters, then would there really be a big backlash from the lack of Super? Because the only people who would pay attention to this website change are the people who care about Kai & so FUNi could satisfy them without disappointing the masses who are craving Super. It doesn't need to be this binary "big announcement" vs. "complete refusal to acknowledge the product"; they could definitely reach a satisfying middle-ground if they wanted to...right? Unless I'm missing something.