I JUST noticed that Young voiced Frieza in ep1 of the dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

I JUST noticed that Young voiced Frieza in ep1 of the dub

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 am

...How did I miss this?

Sure, the only sound Frieza makes is a bit of laughter, but Young's Frieza laugh is VERY distinctive.

What was the point of casting her for episode 1, but replacing her with Ayres for the rest of the series? Why not have Ayres do Episode 1 too?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

mecha3000
Regular

Re: I JUST noticed that Young voiced Frieza in ep1 of the dub

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:40 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:...How did I miss this?

Sure, the only sound Frieza makes is a bit of laughter, but Young's Frieza laugh is VERY distinctive.

What was the point of casting her for episode 1, but replacing her with Ayres for the rest of the series? Why not have Ayres do Episode 1 too?
Chris Sabat revealed that they were originally going to have Linda Young reprise her Frieza voice for Kai (if you can even believe that now that Ayres is the definitive English voice for Frieza now). But he claimed they replaced her because the more faithful lines that she had to record were written in a way that was too fast for her to voice. I still kind of believe it was because they felt she no longer fit Frieza as they wanted to fix their Z mistakes with Kai, but hey - They at least had her record for Episode 1 of Kai. If anything, it can be seen as a homage for Linda Young before passing on the torch to Chris Ayres' new definitive take.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:46 am

If I'm not mistaken Young also says "strongest being in the universe" in the prologue of the extended version of Battle of Gods.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:14 am

Yeah, I remember it, but it had completely slipped my mind since I never watch the Bardock prologue in episode 1 of Kai.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:41 am

DHM211 wrote:If I'm not mistaken Young also says "strongest being in the universe" in the prologue of the extended version of Battle of Gods.
Yeah, but I feel this was kept in because Linda Young voiced in Dragon Ball Z and Battle of Gods is a Dragon Ball Z movie. For the future of the series, I don't see Linda Young returning. Even 18's original voice actor (Meredith McCoy) got to come back for Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:47 am

The prologue for extended Battle of Gods had all voice clips taken from the dubs of DB and Z -- they're not new recordings.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Yup, it was her. They'd initially planned on keeping her in the role (to the point that the original cast announcement that revealed our new Gohan and Bulma voices, as well as a few others like Oolong I want to say) actually had her listed as well. It was a little while later when we found out that that wasn't going to be the case, because (as has already been said) she apparently couldn't do the new lines the way needed for the role in her take on the character. Episode 1 had already been recorded by that point though, so her final performance basically became that laugh. As has also been stated already, the thing with Battle of Gods was that it used pulled audio for the opening in the extended version, as well as it almost being treated more like a 'DBZ' movie than a 'Kai cast' one in at least some ways - though really, as far as recent games and stuff go, they've been kind of inconsistent as to what Kai roles are actually sticking anyway. See just as recently as Xenoverse 2, which features Sabat back in the roles of Zarbon and half the Ginyu Force, not to mention Guru.

As for why they didn't have Ayres re-do that bit for the first episode of Kai...probably just an issue of time. They were already doing two different versions of the show that sometimes got muddied together, and that was before the music fiasco hit - going back to fix one line of dialogue was probably the last thing on their minds by that point. It's really kind of amazing that Kai has such a great dub when basically every single other aspect of it's production is kind of a huge mess, looking back on it. :lol:

What I've always found even more curious about the Young/Ayres switchover though is Ayres first episode in Kai, at the end of an episode where we see Freeza for the first time (ignoring the first episode moment). His voice there is...not quite what he'd be using throughout the rest of the series, almost like he was trying to imitate Young. Was that a direction they were intending to go initially an thought better of it, and that audio still ended up being used? Was it meant to help ease us in because of that brief moment of Young in episode 1? What the heck happened there?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:23 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:His voice there is...not quite what he'd be using throughout the rest of the series, almost like he was trying to imitate Young. Was that a direction they were intending to go initially an thought better of it, and that audio still ended up being used? Was it meant to help ease us in because of that brief moment of Young in episode 1? What the heck happened there?
I remember when that aired as well. Lots of people here (me included. In fact, I was the first to point it out! :lol:) were pretty upset at the apparent hype Ayres had been getting from some members "in the know", and his first line sounded just like he was doing a Young or Newstone imitation, so a lot of people thought that Young's replacement was going to be in vain if the replacement tried to sound like her. I remember PenguinTruth, who was strongly against the dub thought it was wrong of them to replace her with a sound-alike.

Thank goodness we were all wrong. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:44 pm

Puto wrote:The prologue for extended Battle of Gods had all voice clips taken from the dubs of DB and Z -- they're not new recordings.
It was also around the time FUNi were releasing Z BD's so they probably had the Z audio stuff already out and just decided to save time and use it. Remember people were worried about that when Freeza movie was announced.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:11 pm

DHM211 wrote:If I'm not mistaken Young also says "strongest being in the universe" in the prologue of the extended version of Battle of Gods.
That was a reused line, as Nadolny's "It's time for your terror to end!" is exactly the same line Goku says aaginst Piccolo

Edit: other people beat me to it.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Puto wrote:The prologue for extended Battle of Gods had all voice clips taken from the dubs of DB and Z -- they're not new recordings.
It was also around the time FUNi were releasing Z BD's so they probably had the Z audio stuff already out and just decided to save time and use it. Remember people were worried about that when Freeza movie was announced.
Apparently actors were told to draw More from their Z performances and Less from Kai so they would probably have used those clips regardless, just for Nostalgia

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:01 am

AzuraRacon wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Apparently actors were told to draw More from their Z performances and Less from Kai so they would probably have used those clips regardless, just for Nostalgia
That isn't true you can tell quite easily the drew from their Kai performances, Sabat's Vegeta sounds nothing like his Z performance.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:23 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It was also around the time FUNi were releasing Z BD's so they probably had the Z audio stuff already out and just decided to save time and use it. Remember people were worried about that when Freeza movie was announced.
That isn't true you can tell quite easily the drew from their Kai performances, Sabat's Vegeta sounds nothing like his Z performance.
He'd started using that voice in some of the more recent games anyway, didnt he?
At least I thought he did

Though now that I remember, Apparently it was Kyle Hebert specifically who was told that, as he would have just newly started recording For the final chapters at the time that Funimation got the rights to Battle of Gods

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:45 am

AzuraRacon wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
He'd started using that voice in some of the more recent games anyway, didnt he?

Though now that I remember, Apparently it was Kyle Hebert specifically who was told that, as he would have just newly started recording For the final chapters at the time that Funimation got the rights to Battle of Gods
Ohhh yeah I remember now yeah it was only Kyle who got told that, but I'm pretty sure that's because Gohan was drunk in BoG. Kyle's narration wasn't like his Z one's so I think it was probably because of that.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: That isn't true you can tell quite easily the drew from their Kai performances, Sabat's Vegeta sounds nothing like his Z performance.

Ohhh yeah I remember now yeah it was only Kyle who got told that, but I'm pretty sure that's because Gohan was drunk in BoG. Kyle's narration wasn't like his Z one's so I think it was probably because of that.
Wait could that mean Hebert's the Narrator in Final Chapters instead of Doc Morgan then?
I hadn't even though of that before

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:11 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:

Wait could that mean Hebert's the Narrator in Final Chapters instead of Doc Morgan then?
I hadn't even though of that before
I think Doc Morgan will return. Kyle was already dubbing Gohan so they probably got him to do the narration instead of calling Morgan in just to do a couple of lines.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:48 pm

I haven't picked up the more recent video games, is Kyle Hebert doing the narration, or is Doc Morgan?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:51 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I haven't picked up the more recent video games, is Kyle Hebert doing the narration, or is Doc Morgan?
As far as I'm aware, Doc Morgan is exclusive to the Kai series dub

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:51 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I haven't picked up the more recent video games, is Kyle Hebert doing the narration, or is Doc Morgan?
He was the narrator in Ultamate Tenkaichi.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:43 pm

simtek34 wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
He was the narrator in Ultamate Tenkaichi.
Oh!
I guess that game did kinda swap back and forth between casts