Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:54 am

gregoryluis09 wrote: It's still airing in Brazil with the Yamamoto score, they still didn't switched to the Kikuchi score.
Doesn't it air on Band?

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:59 am

Bansho64 wrote:
gregoryluis09 wrote: It's still airing in Brazil with the Yamamoto score, they still didn't switched to the Kikuchi score.
Doesn't it air on Band?
Yep.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:59 am

What episode are they on? Maybe they'll make it all the way to 98 and we'll get to hear how those last few episodes were scored.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:16 am

thaman91 wrote:
What episode are they on? Maybe they'll make it all the way to 98 and we'll get to hear how those last few episodes were scored.
Unfortunately they only have the Saiyajin and Freeza arcs, so no Android/Cell episodes sadly.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:43 am

You forgot the biggest recast of all! The narrator!!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:You forgot the biggest recast of all! The narrator!!
Right, but I see that as a "pick your poison" type of situation. The narrator sounds like the one they got for One Piece, who I don't mind. I, generally, like Kyle Hebert, but considering he didn't play Ox King very much in Kai & didn't record for Gohan until recently, I don't mind that he didn't do it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Scsigs wrote:The narrator sounds like the one they got for One Piece, who I don't mind.
Just as a fun bit of trivia, the narrator for the One Piece dub is Bill Jenkins, who voices The Grand Elder/Guru in the Kai dub.

The Kai narrator is Doc Morgan (who...doesn't actually seem to have any anime dubbing credits to his name besides his role in Kai).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Scsigs wrote:The narrator sounds like the one they got for One Piece, who I don't mind.
Just as a fun bit of trivia, the narrator for the One Piece dub is Bill Jenkins, who voices The Grand Elder/Guru in the Kai dub.

The Kai narrator is Doc Morgan (who...doesn't actually seem to have any anime dubbing credits to his name besides his role in Kai).
Cool.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:11 am

Scsigs wrote:If we're REALLY going to get into the way voice actors sound, why not talk about some of the ones people have with the Japanese version?
Goku, Gohan, Goten, & most other people in their family are voiced by Masako Nozawa & she sounds like a woman when voicing every one of them. Same goes for Krillin & Yajirobe. Their voice actress still sounds like a woman. No matter how much they try to make them sound distinct, it still comes out sounding like woman doing them.
Hmm, I totally disagree. I can't say for you personally, but the people that hear a woman when they hear Goku & sons are usually the ones that haven't given the Japanese dub a chance and only watch in English. Nozawa makes them sound male, albeit high pitched. Another mistake sub-dislikers make is thinking her Goku, Gohan, Goten etc. voices all sound the same, which they totally don't. There's even a large difference between her kid and adult Goku voices (along with Saiyan Saga kid Gohan, Cell Saga Kid Gohan, and Boo Saga Gohan voices).

Anyway, the Kai Dub inconsistency that stands out to me, aside from the attack names, is in the episode when Goku gets the Senzu and heads to use the spaceship by Dr. Briefs. Yajirobe asks Roshi why Goku is so excited. In the original Japanese and Japanese Kai, Roshi explains that of course Goku wants to help his friends, but he's even more excited to go up against a new challenge. In the Kai English dub, he explains that Goku wants to help his friends above all else but he's almost as excited to go up against a new challenge. Call it nitpicking, but with all the work Funi seemed to put into making Goku's character accurate in Kai, that seems like a blatant step in the opposite direction.

Keep in mind, everything I've said here comes from a 90s kid that grew up loving the OG Funi dub, but I prefer Japanese DBZ dub and English Kai dub today.

EDIT: Erm, just realized I replied to a month-ish old post. Hope that's alright :shifty:

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:17 am

I really prefer the new Gohan voice, from what I've heard of it. The original voice for kid Gohan sounded not like a little kid, but like a hoarse delinquent with a voice ruined from drinking. It got annoying real fast.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:35 pm

I don't care if Colleen only has one voice for Gohan and Luffy. They are two different series and seems like a completely arbitrary reason to hate on the new voice for Gohan.

The Kai narrator is PERFECT. I wish they would use him for every Dragon Ball narrator instead of a different one for every series. He and Brice Armstrong are tied for best narrator. Their voices are terrific.
King Kai I can kind of see. Sean makes him sound like a fool. However, I consider that to be a Yoda-type situation. Remember, when Goku got to his planet, he didn't think much of him because he looked, acted, & sounded ridiculous. Sean's voice for him accentuates that. In fact, that whole mini arc follows Empire Strikes Back when Luke goes to train with King Kai. The same thing happened with Yoda. Remember, he pretty much stopped a lot of his backwards talk & weird quirks the moment he revealed himself to Luke. Kai does the same with Goku.
Except when Yoda switches gears and becomes more earnest, he's not goofy except for perhaps his speech pattern. Schemmel's Kaio doesn't have that gear. He always sounds goofy regardless of the tone of the scene. I wish they had went with Armstrong or Morgan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:55 pm

I am disappointed that Sabat continued to do a retarded voice for Recoome. He could have just used his Armstrong voice and it would have been a lot better.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:23 am

ABED wrote:The Kai narrator is PERFECT. I wish they would use him for every Dragon Ball narrator instead of a different one for every series. He and Brice Armstrong are tied for best narrator. Their voices are terrific.
He's coming back for Super so we may see him for every new series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:02 pm

ABED wrote:Except when Yoda switches gears and becomes more earnest, he's not goofy except for perhaps his speech pattern. Schemmel's Kaio doesn't have that gear. He always sounds goofy regardless of the tone of the scene. I wish they had went with Armstrong or Morgan.
I can see that, but this IS a Toriyama-written story, so we're not always going to get exactly like what most likely influenced him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Scsigs wrote:
ABED wrote:Except when Yoda switches gears and becomes more earnest, he's not goofy except for perhaps his speech pattern. Schemmel's Kaio doesn't have that gear. He always sounds goofy regardless of the tone of the scene. I wish they had went with Armstrong or Morgan.
I can see that, but this IS a Toriyama-written story, so we're not always going to get exactly like what most likely influenced him.
It doesn't matter to me what influenced him, what matters is that the actor doesn't sound so silly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:27 am

I've been on the fence about Seans Kaio since I first heard it years ago... I do like that he actually uses appropriate emotional tones for him instead of the same morose tone constantly, even when yelling in the jap dub, which I never liked... Although I have have pictured him with a more serious tone at one point, the guy lives on a tiny planet with a monkey and talking cricket and has a car he likes to drive around in circles just for the hell of it, and has people make him laugh in order to train them... He is a silly character regardless of his stature.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:52 pm

DasMuse wrote:I've been on the fence about Seans Kaio since I first heard it years ago... I do like that he actually uses appropriate emotional tones for him instead of the same morose tone constantly, even when yelling in the jap dub, which I never liked... Although I have have pictured him with a more serious tone at one point, the guy lives on a tiny planet with a monkey and talking cricket and has a car he likes to drive around in circles just for the hell of it, and has people make him laugh in order to train them... He is a silly character regardless of his stature.
And yet when he's solemn, in the original, you believe him because he doesn't sound goofy. Yes, he's all the things you mentioned but he's also a master of the martial arts.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:09 pm

ABED wrote:
DasMuse wrote:I've been on the fence about Seans Kaio since I first heard it years ago... I do like that he actually uses appropriate emotional tones for him instead of the same morose tone constantly, even when yelling in the jap dub, which I never liked... Although I have have pictured him with a more serious tone at one point, the guy lives on a tiny planet with a monkey and talking cricket and has a car he likes to drive around in circles just for the hell of it, and has people make him laugh in order to train them... He is a silly character regardless of his stature.
And yet when he's solemn, in the original, you believe him because he doesn't sound goofy. Yes, he's all the things you mentioned but he's also a master of the martial arts.
So? It's not like there's some kind of mandate saying martial arts masters can't be silly... Roshi is ridiculous most of the time, but he can be serious if the occasion calls for it.

Seans north kai voice may sound like a fat kid with his mouth stuffed most of the time, but I've never had a hard time taking him seriously when he was worried or upset... but thats just me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:32 pm

Yes, he CAN be, but not all the time. There are times when his character is earnest and I can't buy anything Sean says in those moments because the voice and the acting are all bad. The same thing with McFarland's Roshi except at least he's good as funny Roshi, but AWFUL as serious Muten Roshi. Schemmel's Kaio is awful all the time.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:29 am

It seems to me Sean was just mimicking the voice Don Brown did for north kai in the ocean dub. They are pretty similar.