What Elements from DBZ would you add to Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What Elements from DBZ would you add to Kai?

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:55 pm

The title explains it all. What themes, jokes, animation styles, etc. would you add to DBKai from DBZ?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: What Elements from DBZ would you add to Kai?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:23 am

DB Kai already has everything from DBZ, just less of it. Anything I'd want to add to it would essentially turn it into DBZ.

I guess the best response I can give is that I'd like a version of DB Kai without the re-draws. Even then, I'd rather just stick with DBZ.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:22 am

Every manga scene/image that was in DBZ but not Kai. This is most noticeable in the Saiyan and Boo sagas apparently.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:39 am

Danfun64 wrote:Every manga scene/image that was in DBZ but not Kai. This is most noticeable in the Saiyan and Boo sagas apparently.
That's a myth. There was an instant of Kaio missing some lines in the Saiyan Arc, at least in the dub, but they were added in next episode. There are some panels that weren't adapted into anime format. The scene where Bulma fixed Raditz's scouter was cut short, Zarbon telling Vegeta that Freeza could transform was cut, and the Saiyaman Arc was completely re-written. But these oddities are in both Z and Kai.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:42 am

Please excuse my ignorance then. I was just going by what I heard.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:21 am

All the music scores from movies 1-5 and placement that is closer to the original.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:19 pm

The placement of the Kikuchi score. If it pretty much followed the placement in Z (for the scenes which exist) then I'd say Kai > Z. As it stands, the horrendous use of the Kikuchi score renders Kai almost unwatchable for me, and my version of choice has to be the fan versions of the English dub with Yamamoto.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:25 pm

I personally would have kept some of the Saiyan arc filler of Gohan's training. Most notably the episode about the robot and the one where Gohan goes back home.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Fizzer wrote:The placement of the Kikuchi score. If it pretty much followed the placement in Z (for the scenes which exist) then I'd say Kai > Z. As it stands, the horrendous use of the Kikuchi score renders Kai almost unwatchable for me, and my version of choice has to be the fan versions of the English dub with Yamamoto.
I actually noticed that the Greater half of the Cell arc has its placement pretty close to the original

The episode where Cell dies as far as I could tell watching Japanese Z is almost 1:1

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:11 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
Fizzer wrote:The placement of the Kikuchi score. If it pretty much followed the placement in Z (for the scenes which exist) then I'd say Kai > Z. As it stands, the horrendous use of the Kikuchi score renders Kai almost unwatchable for me, and my version of choice has to be the fan versions of the English dub with Yamamoto.
I actually noticed that the Greater half of the Cell arc has its placement pretty close to the original

The episode where Cell dies as far as I could tell watching Japanese Z is almost 1:1
The entire score placement of Kikuchi Kai was based on Yamamoto, any similarity between the Z placement is coincidental.
Retired.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:23 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:

The entire score placement of Kikuchi Kai was based on Yamamoto, any similarity between the Z placement is coincidental.
I still feel like it started getting better towards and through Cell

Still don't like Androids, and I've never heard Beginning-Frieza without Yammamoto, an episode here and there on TV aside

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:41 pm

The Ocean Dub.

But really, I think the Gohan filler scenes would have been nice and musical cues from early Dragon Ball rather than just the Cell/Buu arc replacement music.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:15 pm

Probably the Kikuchi score placement in Z.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:02 am

Attitudefan wrote:The Ocean Dub.

But really, I think the Gohan filler scenes would have been nice and musical cues from early Dragon Ball rather than just the Cell/Buu arc replacement music.
Why s=did they use so little of the score anyhow?
I've never been 100% clear on that cause some of Kikuchi's best work was from the Dragon Ball-era of the series

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:02 am

AzuraRacon wrote:

I've never been 100% clear on that cause some of Kikuchi's best work was from the Dragon Ball-era of the series
Basically, the Yamamoto score had much fewer tracks than Kikuchi. When applying Kikuchi's old tracks, they'd find a similar track to the one they were raplacing, and use the exact timing that Yamamoto's score used. Since Yamamoto's score was narrower, that method of naturally resulted in a narrower range of Kikuchi tracks being used.
Retired.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:

Basically, the Yamamoto score had much fewer tracks than Kikuchi. When applying Kikuchi's old tracks, they'd find a similar track to the one they were raplacing, and use the exact timing that Yamamoto's score used. Since Yamamoto's score was narrower, that method of naturally resulted in a narrower range of Kikuchi tracks being used.
The problem being that they're different scores intended to be used in different ways. Just because a replacement score works in one scene doesn't mean it works in another, even if the two originally had the same Yamamoto track. I understand them doing this for the episodes they still needed to broadcast, as it had to be done quickly. I just wish they'd put some effort into rescoring Kai for the home releases.