Hell Scene watching Kid Buu vs. Goku

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Hell Scene watching Kid Buu vs. Goku

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Is anyone else bothered that the Hell scene was left in? I know taking it out would've made the episode less than 23 minutes, but come on.

Now I have to headcanon why all the villains were free and not in their own personal torture prisons.

I'm just assuming they were let out to watch the SS3 Goku vs. Kid Buu fight and then they were sent back to their prisons. Frieza was probably sent back to his hanging hive after the match and that's where we saw him in RoF.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Re: Hell Scene watching Kid Buu vs. Goku

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Yeah, I find that scene pretty problematic.

Not only does it lessen the extent of Freeza's punishment (I feel like when you see him in 'F' you're supposed to think "wow, he's been tied up there this long?), but in that scene he's completely intact, while in Super and 'F' he's still a cyborg while he's in hell.

It's annoying to say the least, but it's just one of a number of problems with Buu Kai.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:Yeah, I find that scene pretty problematic.

Not only does it lessen the extent of Freeza's punishment (I feel like when you see him in 'F' you're supposed to think "wow, he's been tied up there this long?), but in that scene he's completely intact, while in Super and 'F' he's still a cyborg while he's in hell.

It's annoying to say the least, but it's just one of a number of problems with Buu Kai.
Oh, damn, really? I haven't watched Kai Buu Saga yet. What other shit is there?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Buu Kai was produced 2 years before RF was a thing so you can't really blame them for something they couldn't have known of.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:41 pm

ChiefWamsutta wrote:

Oh, damn, really? I haven't watched Kai Buu Saga yet. What other shit is there?
Obviously, the re-written Saiyaman Arc is still there. They would have had to re-animate that whole thing to make it resemble the manga. Some other odds and ends, but nothing detrimental is left in. I actually like "The Final Chapters" cut, it's much more what I'd look for in a Kai as opposed to 1.0. Keep the fun filler, ditch the garbage. I may take it upon myself to recreate it using DBox footage and audio, maybe cut some filler here, put some back in there. I'd probably need to re-buy the DBoxes though, so probably not.
Retired.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 pm

ChiefWamsutta wrote:Oh, damn, really? I haven't watched Kai Buu Saga yet. What other shit is there?
I wasn't referring to other filler scenes, but other unrelated issues such as the poor remaster, the occasionally unfitting soundtrack, and the lack of a 4:3 version. To be honest, I haven't seen much of it myself, so I don't know about any other unnecessary filler.
sintzu wrote:Buu Kai was produced 2 years before RF was a thing so you can't really blame them for something they couldn't have known of.
I don't blame them for that. They couldn't have known, as you said. It's just bothersome that including the scene created such a contradiction, when they could have (and should have) just left it out. That's the whole point of Kai, right?

Although, I will admit this makes me quite a hypocrite considering I said they should've included some of the Gohan training filler in the old Kai.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:22 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote: It's just bothersome that including the scene created such a contradiction, when they could have (and should have) just left it out. That's the whole point of Kai, right?

Although, I will admit this makes me quite a hypocrite considering I said they should've included some of the Gohan training filler in the old Kai.
It is but it's such a short scene (I think it's 15-30 seconds long) that if I was in charge I might've left it in because of that.

I don't think it makes you a hypocrite, it just means that you and others prefer some filler over others.

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:20 am

This doesn't bother me as much post-Resurrection F, which has Frieza maintaining some kind of bodily form and showed that it can take quite a while for villains to be purged of their sin and reincarnated.

If the villains are gonna be pictured, might as well have it be when every other character is Spirit Bombing to further emphasize the scale. They can either be on recess or temporaily freed via Buu's reality distortion, but the most important thing is that they're all as powerless as Frieza was in that coccoon.

Though one thing...I remember Frieza mentioning Majin Buu in F and uhhh...was it because he was surprised to hear that Goku had beaten him...?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:02 am

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:Though one thing...I remember Frieza mentioning Majin Buu in F and uhhh...was it because he was surprised to hear that Goku had beaten him...?
Sorbet brought up Boo's defeat. Freeza merely responded to his report and added Cold told him to keep his hands away from him and Beerus. He was shocked that he was bested, yes. However, Freeza didn't initially ask about him if it that's what you're implying.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 am

Honestly, Kai Buu Saga has to be the worst DB animation product, worse than Episode of Bardock. It is one product i absolutely refuse to buy any BD/DVD of. Except maybe sound department, zero care was put into this product, ugly green tint, 16:9 ratio, and almost no filler was removed, why should i get it, while i already have Dragon Box, much superior product.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:48 pm

It's dumb that the scene was kept in. But Toei didn't give two fuck about Majin Boo Kai, so it didn't surprise me that filler moment was kept in. Hell, in Kai 1.0, there was some unnecessary filler kept in.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:28 pm

It fucks with Resurrection F? Good, let it stay.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:03 am

coola wrote:Honestly, Kai Buu Saga has to be the worst DB animation product, worse than Episode of Bardock. It is one product i absolutely refuse to buy any BD/DVD of. Except maybe sound department, zero care was put into this product, ugly green tint, 16:9 ratio, and almost no filler was removed, why should i get it, while i already have Dragon Box, much superior product.
Agreed with everything, most people just want it for the dub, which isn't enough to make Boo Kai worth it for me. Although ultimately, I have decided to buy it, since it's easier to watch with someone.
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 am

ekrolo2 wrote:It fucks with Resurrection F? Good, let it stay.
It's the opposite cause RF was released after it.

If you think about it RF's Freeza in hell doesn't make sense cause why would he have metalic body parts in hell ? how would they go there with his soul ?

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 am

Nejishiki wrote:
Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:Though one thing...I remember Frieza mentioning Majin Buu in F and uhhh...was it because he was surprised to hear that Goku had beaten him...?
Sorbet brought up Boo's defeat. Freeza merely responded to his report and added Cold told him to keep his hands away from him and Beerus. He was shocked that he was bested, yes. However, Freeza didn't initially ask about him if it that's what you're implying.
I'm still having trouble with the fact of Freeza knowing about who Buu was, especially how nonchalant he apparently was about him being defeated. Buu is at best a SS3 level character. They shouldn't be able to even fathom how strong he is.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:58 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Nejishiki wrote:
I'm still having trouble with the fact of Freeza knowing about who Buu was, especially how nonchalant he apparently was about him being defeated. Buu is at best a SS3 level character. They shouldn't be able to even fathom how strong he is.
To be completely fair, it's not as if Cold & Freeza personally met him. Reputations go a long way across the universe.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:13 am

ekrolo2 wrote:It fucks with Resurrection F? Good, let it stay.
You know from your tone, and words whenever you speak of Resurrection of F is really starting to make me think, that you don't like it. Just a thought, nothing official :)